Official Review: Life Lessons The Good Don Bad Don

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any young adult books.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
k2rugman
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 31
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-k2rugman.html
Latest Review: Rituals of Season by Giovanna Ess

Official Review: Life Lessons The Good Don Bad Don

Post by k2rugman »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Life Lessons The Good Don Bad Don" by Don Demarest.]
Book Cover
2 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Life Lessons: The Good Don Bad Don by Don Demarest is a life history of the author. He shares experiences from when he was a young boy through to his retirement. His life lessons are touching, encouraging, and relatable.

The author begins with his childhood. He relays stories of fights, bullies, stitches, and sports. He learned at a young age the principle of standing up for yourself. The author’s life practically revolved around sports. He played baseball and was a great pitcher for a number of years. Demarest spent most of his adult life working in retail. He went through two divorces and has several kids. He even goes into some detail of his son’s life and experience with sports. The author’s stories encompass his time as a coach, employee, husband, father, city councilman, rotary club member, and finally retiree. He clearly had a very full life.

I enjoyed this book. The author’s writing style was very conversational. The chapters were short but interesting. There were a couple themes I picked up while reading this book. The author mentions several times that you can’t take it with you. You shouldn’t be possessed by material things. Another theme I recognized was the importance of perseverance. Throughout the book, the author faces several trials. He dealt with two divorces, job termination, and even being homeless for a time, but he kept moving forward. These are the kind of real life experiences to which readers can relate.

Unfortunately this book is not without faults. There are numerous and significant grammatical and spelling errors. The format is a little awkward too. Some of the chapters start on the same page and even the same paragraph as the previous chapter. There were some sentence structure issues that made the flow a little difficult to understand as well. I would imagine that this was a very rough first draft.

I give Life Lessons: The Good Don Bad Don by Don Demarest 2 out of 4 stars. The stories were interesting and I found myself invested in his life. I appreciated the advice and recommendations he made throughout the stories. I felt like his experiences and advice were applicable to any reader. I give it two stars because of the errors. There were too many to ignore. I would gladly give it more stars if the errors were fixed and the writing revised and cleaned up. This book would do well with professional editing. If you like life histories, sports, and uplifting books, I would recommend this book.

Life Lessons The Good Don Bad Don
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Like k2rugman's review? Post a comment saying so!
AmySmiles
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Author: Dana Peters
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 149
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-amysmiles.html
Latest Review: Sex Education for Adults Secrets to Amazing Sex and Happily Ever After Too by John Wilder
fav_author_id: 154082

Post by AmySmiles »

I like books like this, but if the errors were bad enough for you to only give it 2 stars I think I'll pass until it has been revised. Thanks for the review!
Anyone who says they have only one life to live must not know how to read a book.
–Author Unknown
Corhan2
Favorite Book: Body of Evidence (Kay Scarpetta #2)
Currently Reading: Land of Painted Caves
Bookshelf Size: 17
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-corhan2.html
Latest Review: Raven's Peak by Lincoln Cole

Post by Corhan2 »

Thanks for the review. It sounds as if there is a lot of life lessons to be learned. Such a pity about the editorial problems!
k2rugman
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 31
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-k2rugman.html
Latest Review: Rituals of Season by Giovanna Ess

Post by k2rugman »

Yes it was too bad about the errors. I still enjoyed it though and hope the author is able to get it professionally published!

Return to “Young Adult Fiction Books”