Official Review: The Crone's List

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any young adult books.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
kfwilson6
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: Lord of Chaos
Bookshelf Size: 298
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kfwilson6.html
Latest Review: The Stone Wall Crossing by Alice Schellhorn Magrane
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Official Review: The Crone's List

Post by kfwilson6 »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "The Crone's List" by Vivian McDermott & Sheralynn Ries.]
Book Cover
3 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

At the oh-so-wise age of six, I stubbornly told my dad that my name is not “princess.” I thought I was so grown up and wanted my dad to drop all of the cutesy names he liked to call me. I had reached an age at which I wanted to assert my intelligence, independence, and maturity. These are all things Sammi, or Samantha as she insists on being called, can relate to. In The Crone’s List by Sheralynn Ries and Vivian McDermott, Samantha has reached a major milestone in her young life, high school graduation. She is ready to set out for her first semester of college where she proudly proclaims she will stay until she achieves an MRS. For those who have not yet been informed of what exactly this designation stands for, let me tell you that MRS is not a master’s degree in religious studies. Those with a discerning eye may have noted that MRS and the marital prefix "Mrs." look oddly similar. That’s right. Samantha intends to take college courses only as long as it takes her to nab a husband.

As wise as Samantha thinks this decision is, her grandmother and godmother are none too pleased with this declaration. As Samantha sets out for her first semester, Marie and Joan collaborate to sway her in order to convince her that marriage can wait until an actual college degree is obtained. Marie and Joan proudly refer to themselves as the “Crones” or “Wise Old Women.” Their elaborate scheme for imparting their wisdom upon Samantha entails a series of letters delivered in care packages full of snacks for her and her dormmates. These letters describe Marie and Joan’s plan from decades before to date fifty guys in the hopes of finding Mr. Right. The letters include details of some of their most memorable dates and the lessons they learned from their many relationship experiences.

At its core, The Crone’s List is a dating advice book presented as a fictional tale of a young woman whose family wants her to achieve personal success before she seeks relationship success. The Crones provide a great deal of insight for young women in regards to dating strategies, qualities to look for in a man, and the most important features of a healthy relationship. Overall, the advice is practical, presented well, and meaningful. The suggestions the Crones offer Samantha and her dormmates are relevant to any young woman who is still on the dating scene.

One of my absolute favorite things about The Crone’s List is that the Crones continuously advocate for healthy, long-term, traditional relationships. By traditional I mean they follow an old adage, “first comes love, then comes marriage, then comes the baby in the baby carriage.” Alright, that may be an old schoolyard song meant to make fun of kids who seemed to have a crush on one another more so than actual words of wisdom. However, I admire the authors for promoting a relationship path that is becoming less common in society.

On the other hand, just as the schoolyard song has been heard time and time again, so have the wise words of Marie and Joan. There are many clichés scattered throughout the book including: “roll with the punches,” “life is what happens to you while you are making other plans,” and “actions speak louder than words.” None of the advice or guidance is something a young woman could not easily find in any book offering relationship help. Some of the advice is incredibly obvious, even to someone who may not yet have any dating experiences of her own.

The advice presented is commonly heard, read, and shared, but it is also tried and true. For that reason, this book is perfect for a young woman looking for very basic and traditional relationship advice. I would also recommend it to older women who enjoy laughing at the antics of their younger selves. Some of the dates Marie and Joan discuss are quite entertaining and depict some of the societal changes that have taken place in the most recent generations. It is interesting to learn how dating was different thirty or forty years ago. I would not recommend this book to men or anyone looking for a story with a real plot. The storyline is minimal and is limited to Marie and Joan’s get-togethers as they write their monthly letters and the final outcome of their attempts to sway Samantha.

The Crone’s List is somewhat difficult to rate as I found the advice significant yet clichéd and somewhat obvious. The lack of a plot, character development, and unique ideas make this book somewhat dull. I believe this is worthy of 3 out of 4 stars for the right audience. As long as the reader knows to anticipate a book that primarily consists of dating advice presented in the format of letters and discussions between two older women and a group of young, college women, this can be an enjoyable and thought-provoking book. I would not give it four stars in its current condition because there are at least thirty commas missing. Although other typing and grammar errors are minimal, the number of necessary commas that are excluded from the text is quite excessive.

The Crone's List
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Like kfwilson6's review? Post a comment saying so!
stacie k
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 192
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-stacie-k.html
Latest Review: River Kids by Jennie Linnane

Post by stacie k »

As the mom of a college-age daughter, this book appeals to me, especially with its promotion of healthy, long-term, traditional relationships. I think it would be interesting to glimpse how dating was thirty or forty years ago. I appreciate your balanced perspective of the pros and cons.
“The tongue of the wise makes knowledge acceptable.” Proverbs 15:2a
Sahani Nimandra
Favorite Book: Harry Potter and The Sorceress Stone
Currently Reading: Man of the World
Bookshelf Size: 698
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sahani-nimandra.html
Latest Review: I once had a Farm in Ireland by Siggy Buckley
Reading Device: Huawei

Post by Sahani Nimandra »

50 guys! Isn't that too much? I'm not sure about the west perspective (no offense) but here in Asia if you do so people will take it in a very WRONG way. Anyways, thank you for your review!
The person, be it gentleman or lady, who has not pleasure in a good novel, must be intolerably stupid! - Jane Austen :techie-studyingbrown:
Dahmy 10
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 61
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-dahmy-10.html
Latest Review: First Family by Alice Langholt

Post by Dahmy 10 »

I think I understand why the book would seem dull. It's really not passing across an important message using fiction - I think this is what the author was trying to pass across...

I believe guys can also read it too... Thank you!
AmySmiles
Favorite Author: Dana Peters
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 149
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-amysmiles.html
Latest Review: Sex Education for Adults Secrets to Amazing Sex and Happily Ever After Too by John Wilder
fav_author_id: 154082

Post by AmySmiles »

I went to a college, religious minded, and believe it or not I would say a vast majority of the girls where there for a MRS degree. This book interests me even though I am long past the dating years. It sounds like it would be a pretty easy light read, which I could really use in my life right now. Thanks for the review!
Anyone who says they have only one life to live must not know how to read a book.
–Author Unknown
kfwilson6

Post by kfwilson6 »

AmySmiles wrote: 25 Jul 2018, 07:50 I went to a college, religious minded, and believe it or not I would say a vast majority of the girls where there for a MRS degree. This book interests me even though I am long past the dating years. It sounds like it would be a pretty easy light read, which I could really use in my life right now. Thanks for the review!
It's interesting that you think so many of your college classmates had that mindset. I would say most of my college classmates were very career oriented.

This is definitely a light read. If you want something really simple and lighthearted to pass the day, this would be perfect.
kfwilson6

Post by kfwilson6 »

Sahani Nimandra wrote: 25 Jul 2018, 04:32 50 guys! Isn't that too much? I'm not sure about the west perspective (no offense) but here in Asia if you do so people will take it in a very WRONG way. Anyways, thank you for your review!
That is actually addressed in the story. 50 is a lot! For these two ladies, it's not quite as bad as it might sound. They are very respectable women, which is a huge part of what I liked.
Cristina Chifane
Favorite Book: The Magic Mountain
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 898
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cristina-chifane.html
Latest Review: The Fold by Dennis Lee

Post by Cristina Chifane »

Thank you for a very detailed review! I don't think I'd have the patience to read a book on dating advice right now, but it could have its target audience. In theory, I agree with you about the healthy, long-term relationships. However, life is quite unpredictable and love has its way of making things complicated. :)
"The madness of writing is the antidote to true madness." (Hanif Kureishi)
Latest Review: The Fold by Dennis Lee
kfwilson6

Post by kfwilson6 »

cristinaro wrote: 25 Jul 2018, 09:34 Thank you for a very detailed review! I don't think I'd have the patience to read a book on dating advice right now, but it could have its target audience. In theory, I agree with you about the healthy, long-term relationships. However, life is quite unpredictable and love has its way of making things complicated. :)
Thanks cristinaro! I think the authors did a good job of sharing very realistic advice and not making dating seem like it's all peaches and cream. It was a very reasonable take on dating, except for maybe the goal of dating 50 guys each. That is quite a number.
Cecilia_L
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 436
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cecilia-l.html
Latest Review: No Rushing when Brushing by Humairah Shah

Post by Cecilia_L »

One of my absolute favorite things about The Crone’s List is that the Crones continuously advocate for healthy, long-term, traditional relationships. By traditional I mean they follow an old adage, “first comes love, then comes marriage, then comes the baby in the baby carriage.” Alright, that may be an old schoolyard song meant to make fun of kids who seemed to have a crush on one another more so than actual words of wisdom. However, I admire the authors for promoting a relationship path that is becoming less common in society.
Based on your description of the book, I think this would probably be my favorite thing too. Lovely review!
Jonida
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 13
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jonida.html
Latest Review: The MECE Muse by Christie Lindor

Post by Jonida »

I like the idea that Samantha knows what she wants... and the tips that this book gives about dating make me add it to my reading list. Thank you for your review.
Dael Reader
Currently Reading: The Story of Arthur Truluv
Bookshelf Size: 53
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-dael-reader.html
Latest Review: Extraordinary Stories From Everyday People (and me) by Les Clark
Reading Device: 1400697484

Post by Dael Reader »

Nice detailed review! My first thought was, "Really? In this day and age--a story about a girl going to college to nab a husband? That's so last generation!" But I think it's a great idea to have two women from last generation as champions for the cause of be your own person first, then you can think about a solid relationship. And frankly, I think we need more new books about people who advocate the "traditional" relationship path. There are still plenty of people around who prefer that progression. And there are many good reasons to stick with it.
Bianka Walter
Favorite Book: The Old Man and the Sea
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 368
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bianka-walter.html
Latest Review: Thir13en by Keegan Nielsen
Reading Device: B06XD5YCKX

Post by Bianka Walter »

I'm still not a MRS, so I doubt I would find much in common with Samantha :lol2:
Awesome review!
You can find magic wherever you look. Sit back and relax, all you need is a book.
- Dr. Seuss
drunyan
Currently Reading: A Kingdom's Cost
Bookshelf Size: 32
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-drunyan.html
Latest Review: The Unbound Soul by Richard L. Haight
Reading Device: B00BWYQ9YE

Post by drunyan »

In my college days, there were many young ladies that were trying to get both a Bachelor of Arts or Science degree AND a MRS. degree. Although I was not there to get a MRS. degree, I graduated with my eyes on a wedding date. (We are still married today, 35 years later.) That said, there were plenty of girls that dated, and dated, and dated. They were not looking for a spouse, they were just playing the dating game because they liked the gifts, dinners out, and uncommitted sex.

I am not sure I would appreciate a book that has no plot, except to nab a husband. Sometimes in our haste, we make promises that are not well thought through, and that we cannot keep despite our best intentions.
I am back! 4 months after radiation treatments and still cancer-free!
kfwilson6

Post by kfwilson6 »

drunyan wrote: 26 Jul 2018, 19:39 In my college days, there were many young ladies that were trying to get both a Bachelor of Arts or Science degree AND a MRS. degree. Although I was not there to get a MRS. degree, I graduated with my eyes on a wedding date. (We are still married today, 35 years later.) That said, there were plenty of girls that dated, and dated, and dated. They were not looking for a spouse, they were just playing the dating game because they liked the gifts, dinners out, and uncommitted sex.

I am not sure I would appreciate a book that has no plot, except to nab a husband. Sometimes in our haste, we make promises that are not well thought through, and that we cannot keep despite our best intentions.
Ah yes. There can be quite a lot of freebies for women who play the dating game just right 😉
Unfortunately that does seem to be the goal for some.
Thanks for commenting.

Return to “Young Adult Fiction Books”