Official Review: The Crone's List

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any young adult books.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
EvaDar
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 122
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-evadar.html
Latest Review: Do Not Wish For A Pet Ostrich! by Sarina Siebenaler

Re: Official Review: The Crone's List

Post by EvaDar »

What a great review you have written! You are balanced and comprehensive in your analysis. This book sounds really sweet to me. I love the emphasis on the point of view of the crones. I wonder how many young women would really take traditional relationship advice from their elders... but I like the idea! I will probably skip the book, but I'm really glad I came across your review. Your writing is refreshing.
sit in the ocean. it is one of the best medicines on the planet. – the water
-Nayyirah Waheed
kfwilson6
Currently Reading: Lord of Chaos
Bookshelf Size: 298
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kfwilson6.html
Latest Review: The Stone Wall Crossing by Alice Schellhorn Magrane
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by kfwilson6 »

Eva Darrington wrote: 26 Jul 2018, 20:37 What a great review you have written! You are balanced and comprehensive in your analysis. This book sounds really sweet to me. I love the emphasis on the point of view of the crones. I wonder how many young women would really take traditional relationship advice from their elders... but I like the idea! I will probably skip the book, but I'm really glad I came across your review. Your writing is refreshing.
Thank you so much. Such a sweet comment. I'm not sure that many young women would listen to their elders about relationships, but I liked that the authors promoted respect between different age groups.
gen_g
Currently Reading: 1984
Bookshelf Size: 104
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gen-g.html
Latest Review: The Diary That Will Change Your Lives Forever by Georgios Zelelidis

Post by gen_g »

kfwilson6 wrote: 25 Jul 2018, 10:28
cristinaro wrote: 25 Jul 2018, 09:34 Thank you for a very detailed review! I don't think I'd have the patience to read a book on dating advice right now, but it could have its target audience. In theory, I agree with you about the healthy, long-term relationships. However, life is quite unpredictable and love has its way of making things complicated. :)
Thanks cristinaro! I think the authors did a good job of sharing very realistic advice and not making dating seem like it's all peaches and cream. It was a very reasonable take on dating, except for maybe the goal of dating 50 guys each. That is quite a number.
I agree with the both of you! I too doubt I would have the patience for this right now, but the book would definitely be great for those in need. I choked at the mention of 50 guys, though –and as someone who appreciates her alone time– where would all the time go to?! :lol:
kfwilson6

Post by kfwilson6 »

gen_g wrote: 27 Jul 2018, 01:21
kfwilson6 wrote: 25 Jul 2018, 10:28
cristinaro wrote: 25 Jul 2018, 09:34 Thank you for a very detailed review! I don't think I'd have the patience to read a book on dating advice right now, but it could have its target audience. In theory, I agree with you about the healthy, long-term relationships. However, life is quite unpredictable and love has its way of making things complicated. :)
Thanks cristinaro! I think the authors did a good job of sharing very realistic advice and not making dating seem like it's all peaches and cream. It was a very reasonable take on dating, except for maybe the goal of dating 50 guys each. That is quite a number.
I agree with the both of you! I too doubt I would have the patience for this right now, but the book would definitely be great for those in need. I choked at the mention of 50 guys, though –and as someone who appreciates her alone time– where would all the time go to?! :lol:
You wouldn't have much time for long-term relationships with anyone who is not "the one." My dating experiences were so vastly different than Joan and Marie's. I had a couple of long-term, serious relationships before meeting my husband. I never "dated around" as the two Crones did. At such a young age though, it's good not to take yourself or life too easily.
booklysis
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 23
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-booklysis.html
Latest Review: Pastoring is not what you think by Elijah Oladimeji

Post by booklysis »

It's a really dull story!
JR Mercier
Favorite Book: The Bear and the Nightingale
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 129
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jr-mercier.html
Latest Review: Betrayal by Maggie Walsh

Post by JR Mercier »

I love the message of personal success before marriage or an MRS degree. :D Sounds like a great read and I love the name of this book. Great review!
Dream up something wild and improbable.
-Strange The Dreamer, Laini Taylor
Rosemary Khathibe
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 66
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-rosemary-khathibe.html
Latest Review: Robotic Warriors by Caglar Juan Singletary

Post by Rosemary Khathibe »

I must agree with you that there is nothing unique about the book because I have heard the same old advice from my parents and old family members telling me to study first before looking for a man. Then again, I can read a book only to find humour in how traditional relationships work. Thanks for the great review.
Morgan Jones
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 138
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-morgan-jones.html
Latest Review: Fate Won't Compromise by Catherine Blakely

Post by Morgan Jones »

The plot didn't interest me at all because I don't enjoy books about dating advice, especially when they're cliche and mentioned a thousand times before. This was a very detailed, thorough review, but I think I'll pass.
"Reading is a conversation. All books talk. But a good book listens as well." - Mark Haddon
Julie Green
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 45
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-julie-green.html
Latest Review: Fate Line by Marc J. Seifer

Post by Julie Green »

I can all too easily imagine how dating 30 years ago differs from today... not least thanks to social media. It sounds like this could be a fun book to read!
kfwilson6

Post by kfwilson6 »

Julie Green wrote: 03 Aug 2018, 14:54 I can all too easily imagine how dating 30 years ago differs from today... not least thanks to social media. It sounds like this could be a fun book to read!
Quite different. Especially if you lived in a small, tight-knit community. It was actually odd for the grandmother to have planned to date 50 guys. My grandmother got married at 18. I doubt she dated many guys before that.
Shrabastee Chakraborty
Book of the Month Participant
Favorite Book: The Warramunga's War
Currently Reading: Timewise
Bookshelf Size: 1153
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-shrabastee-chakraborty.html
Latest Review: The Infinite Passion of Life by D.J. Paolini

Post by Shrabastee Chakraborty »

Thanks for the great review! It had me hooked right from the introduction. However, after reading this, I am left with a mixed feeling about the book. The first part had me convinced that this book is going to be a jolly read, if nothing else. The 'MRS' degree thing is hilarious! But as you revealed the book for what it really is, a book primarily dealing with dating advice, I practically lost interest. I hope young women who are looking for partners will be benefited from this.
kfwilson6

Post by kfwilson6 »

Shrabastee wrote: 08 Aug 2018, 03:31 Thanks for the great review! It had me hooked right from the introduction. However, after reading this, I am left with a mixed feeling about the book. The first part had me convinced that this book is going to be a jolly read, if nothing else. The 'MRS' degree thing is hilarious! But as you revealed the book for what it really is, a book primarily dealing with dating advice, I practically lost interest. I hope young women who are looking for partners will be benefited from this.
Thank you for commenting and your kind words. I'd say it's a nice beach book for someone wanting a really easy read. The MRS thing is something I've heard as a joke before, and it just seemed so appropriate to this book :)
Fu Zaila
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 1067
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-fuzaila.html
Latest Review: What's Your Favorite Color? by Amber L Lassiter

Post by Fu Zaila »

I'm not sure what purpose a book on dating would serve when written as a fictional tale, other than to just entertain the reader. As you state, it'd be quite dull. Thank you for your insightful review. I was at first inspired to add this book by your narrative reviewing, but alas, I see that this book might be nothing like your review. Great review!
"Create your own identity. Let it be unique for yourself yet identifiable for others." :tiphat:
Ruba Abu Ali
Currently Reading: Notes on a Nervous Planet
Bookshelf Size: 111
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ruba-abu-ali.html
Latest Review: Grammar for a Full Life: How the Ways We Shape a Sentence Can Limit or Enlarge Us by Lawrence Weinstein

Post by Ruba Abu Ali »

I admire the path that the authors advocate. I will come back to this book after it undergoes a round of editing. Thanks for the charming review.
kfwilson6

Post by kfwilson6 »

Ruba Abu Ali wrote: 20 Aug 2018, 13:20 I admire the path that the authors advocate. I will come back to this book after it undergoes a round of editing. Thanks for the charming review.
Thank you! I too really admired the traditional path. That was one of the best things about this book. IN modern society, relationships are so varied, and in some ways that is good, while in others it is bad. But I did really like the crones' idea that you finish college, get married, have kids, in that order!

Return to “Young Adult Fiction Books”