Official Review: Watchers by Marietta Standlee

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any young adult books.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
kandscreeley
Special Discussion Leader
Currently Reading: The Door Within
Bookshelf Size: 487
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kandscreeley.html
Latest Review: The Elf Revelation by Jordan David

Official Review: Watchers by Marietta Standlee

Post by kandscreeley »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Watchers" by Marietta Standlee.]
Book Cover
3 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Morgan Crawford is a 17 year old struggling through life after her whole family is killed in a crash. After waking up from a coma, she struggles with amnesia. She get flashes of memories, but there are no emotions associated with it. Then, Fen enters her life. A transfer student, he captures her eye, and the two fall madly in love. But he isn't quite what he seems. Morgan learns that he is from another planet called Kronos. On Kronos, everyone lives forever leading to an overpopulation problem. To solve it, the inhabitants have learned to send their mind to live through people on other planets. Their bodies are then kept in stasis on Kronos. Fen was exiled from Kronos, but not everyone is happy with him still. Will Morgan be able to accept Fen even though he's an alien? Will Fen stay on Earth with Morgan, finally be allowed to return to Kronos or suffer an even worse fate?

Watchers by Marietta Standlee is also entitled Other Worlds: Earth and is the first in a series. The book is classified as young adult science fiction and is only around 150 pages. With no explicit content, little graphic violence and no swearing this would be very appropriate for younger teens up through adults.

While the premise of the book is not necessarily unique (a girl falls in love with an alien who has taken over a human boy's body), I did enjoy the characters and the fresh touches that the author put on the story. Morgan is not all that she seems either, and that made for an unexpected twist in the plot. The other students at the school are fun as well. Morgan's best friend Bree even makes up for the loss of her family. Every character was lifelike, even the most minor.

The story moves along at a good pace, and it's easy to get involved in. For most average readers, it won't take long to finish this book. That's not to say, though, that the book is too short. I think there is just the right amount of information for this first book. It wraps up nicely but leaves enough questions for the next book in the series that you want to keep reading.

The biggest problem I had with the book was the editing. The first thing I noticed was that there wasn't enough delineation between the paragraphs. It's difficult to tell where one begins and the next ends which is hard on the eyes. Even putting that aside, there were misspelled words all over the place not to mention atrocious punctuation. From dropped letters to homophones to way too many commas, this book will probably drive you nuts trying to read it. Even though I was very involved in the story, I got really tired of seeing "tiered instead of tired" or having commas cutting in the middle of a sentence. This really could use the help of a proofreader at the very least.

I had a great deal of difficulty trying to rate this book. On the one hand, the author knows how to weave a good story; I stayed involved from beginning to end and am actually looking forward to reading the next book. On the other, the editing left much to be desired and absolutely distracted from my enjoyment of the book. So, after much debate, I rate Watchers 3 out of 4 stars. I believe the plot and the talent of the author override the distracting editing enough for a higher score. I recommend this to any fans of alien science fiction that like a good, clean story regardless of age.

Watchers
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Like kandscreeley's review? Post a comment saying so!
A book is a dream you hold in your hands.
—Neil Gaiman
Jackie Holycross
Currently Reading: The 7 Experiment
Bookshelf Size: 306
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-teacherjh.html
Latest Review: 20 World Religions and Faith Practices by Robyn Lebron

Post by Jackie Holycross »

Wow. Just the amnesia and coma would have made a good story. Romance with an alien ramps it up more. I’m inpressed to find a romance that does not feel steamy sex scenes are necessary. It sounds like a great package.
Denis wekesa
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by Denis wekesa »

Marietta Standlee: actually, the author leaves me in dialema , but, next book will provide answers that two questions have being mentioned am eager to know what happened, I have learned something about love, that we should look before we leave.
kandscreeley

Post by kandscreeley »

teacherjh wrote: 23 Jun 2018, 15:58 Wow. Just the amnesia and coma would have made a good story. Romance with an alien ramps it up more. I’m inpressed to find a romance that does not feel steamy sex scenes are necessary. It sounds like a great package.
It really was. I just wish the editing had been better. Thanks for commenting.
—Neil Gaiman
Kat Berg
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 5">Raven's Peak</a>
Currently Reading: James Baldwin
Bookshelf Size: 223
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kat-berg.html
Latest Review: Why Am I Here by Melvin Bell
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by Kat Berg »

Oh, I just don't think I could do it. I feel your pain! It is so hard to know what to do with a book that has a good story but the editing issues make it...words fail. I have said it on numerous occasions: A good editor is worth their weight in gold. And it is a very wise author that uses them! Thanks for your review. :)
Anon_Reviewer
Favorite Book: A Thousand Splendid Suns
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 146
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-anon-reviewer.html
Latest Review: Niching Up by Chris Dreyer
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by Anon_Reviewer »

I'm a huge fan of YA fiction and I think I'd enjoy this book. I really hope the author gets it edited because it's terrible when bad grammar and spelling get in the way of a good read. Thank you for an awesome review!
revna01
Currently Reading: Storm Front
Bookshelf Size: 143
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-revna01.html
Latest Review: Rufus: A Boy's Extraordinary Experiences in the Civil War by Phoebe Sheldon

Post by revna01 »

I actually thought the premise was unique, but I am not very well-versed in sci-fi, so I'll defer to your judgement. Poor editing strikes again, but I'm glad you enjoyed he book and the characters were fully developed. Thanks for a great review!
kandscreeley

Post by kandscreeley »

Kat Berg wrote: 23 Jun 2018, 23:20 Oh, I just don't think I could do it. I feel your pain! It is so hard to know what to do with a book that has a good story but the editing issues make it...words fail. I have said it on numerous occasions: A good editor is worth their weight in gold. And it is a very wise author that uses them! Thanks for your review. :)
I completely agree. Editors are worth paying for. Thanks for commenting.
—Neil Gaiman
kandscreeley

Post by kandscreeley »

Ever_Reading wrote: 24 Jun 2018, 03:51 I'm a huge fan of YA fiction and I think I'd enjoy this book. I really hope the author gets it edited because it's terrible when bad grammar and spelling get in the way of a good read. Thank you for an awesome review!
If you're a fan of YA fiction, you'd really like this. Hopefully the author will use an editor on this one. Thanks for commenting.
—Neil Gaiman
kandscreeley

Post by kandscreeley »

SABRADLEY wrote: 24 Jun 2018, 12:46 I actually thought the premise was unique, but I am not very well-versed in sci-fi, so I'll defer to your judgement. Poor editing strikes again, but I'm glad you enjoyed he book and the characters were fully developed. Thanks for a great review!
Thank for commenting. It seems that so many authors don't think that an editor is worth it. But they are definitely worth it.
—Neil Gaiman
strawberrysab
Currently Reading: The Keeper of Lost Things
Bookshelf Size: 161
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-strawberrysab.html
Latest Review: Maddy's Wings by Jan porter

Post by strawberrysab »

I usually love sci-fi, but this one doesn’t sound like something I would enjoy. Thanks, though, for your great review.
Berry :wine:
DathanReeves
Currently Reading: The Sword Swallower and a Chico Kid
Bookshelf Size: 42
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-dathanreeves.html
Latest Review: The Girl Who Knew Da Vinci by Belle Ami

Post by DathanReeves »

Since it starts on earth, would you say this book in the series is like a prelude to what's to come?
Samantha Simoneau
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 240
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-samantha-simoneau.html
Latest Review: Dancing With Jesus by Allison Broughton
Reading Device: B00IKPYKWG

Post by Samantha Simoneau »

I'm so torn! Clean story? Check. Sci-fi? Check. Love story? Check. I'm also itching to know what the plot twist is, but "atrocious" editing seriously grates on my nerves. Another wonderful review, though!
Samantha Simoneau

“But upon the stage of life, while conscience claps, let the world hiss! On the contrary if conscience disapproves, the loudest applauses of the world are of little value."
~John Adams :greetings-clapyellow:
Amberlily
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 12
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-amberlily.html
Latest Review: Homecoming: The Unari Experiment Book 1 by Brian L. Harad

Post by Amberlily »

I love this genre but I honestly haven't read a whole lot of books about alien romance. I would be willing to give this one a shot but... I'm not sure if I could power through all of those editing issues. As a writer I know it's very easy to make mistakes even if you are well rehearsed in the rules of grammar. Some people seem to trust that editing their own work is enough but this is a good example to know that other people should definitely look it over before publication. This is something I would consider reading if the author does have an editor fix this up eventually. Great review!
gen_g
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: 1984
Bookshelf Size: 104
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gen-g.html
Latest Review: The Diary That Will Change Your Lives Forever by Georgios Zelelidis

Post by gen_g »

Kat Berg wrote: 23 Jun 2018, 23:20 Oh, I just don't think I could do it. I feel your pain! It is so hard to know what to do with a book that has a good story but the editing issues make it...words fail. I have said it on numerous occasions: A good editor is worth their weight in gold. And it is a very wise author that uses them! Thanks for your review. :)
I totally agree! It is such a pity when the errors present totally puts the reader off reading the book, especially with so many. Thanks for the lovely review as always!

Return to “Young Adult Fiction Books”