War Storm (Red Queen, #4) SPOILERS

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any young adult books.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
ccranston
Favorite Book: The Last Time I Lied
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 49
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ccranston.html
Latest Review: World, Incorporated by Tom Gariffo

Icon War Storm (Red Queen, #4) SPOILERS

Post by ccranston »

After Cal devastatingly betrayed Mare, I couldn't wait to get my hands on the next book in the Red Queen series, War Storm. Mare and the Scarlet Guard must put their feelings aside and team up with Cal, and his Silver allies, to overthrow Maven, and to secure freedom for Reds and newbloods.

I was so exciting when I first opened this book, but I have to admit it started off pretty slow. Once the story picked up, I couldn't put it down. I have been so invested in these characters, and had such high expectations for the last book of the series. However, when I reached the end, I was highly disappointed. I'm wondering if anyone else felt the same...? I've heard there will be spin-offs to the Red Queen series, so hopefully we'll find out more about what happened to the main characters.
valegrissom
Currently Reading: The Paper Magician
Bookshelf Size: 481
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by valegrissom »

I didn't even finish War Storm. After reading the third book (which I thought was the last book), I was a little ticked that I had to wait another year for the conclusion. By the time the War Storm came out, I just wanted it to be wrapped up. I never even finished it, I got about half way through and realized that I didn't care about any of the characters anymore. I think it's a testament to authors and publishing houses not dragging out series. If you can wrap up a series in three books, don't stretch it to 4 or 5. It's annoying. The series had a great start, I'm sad it went downhill so quickly.
Kikijanika
Currently Reading: War Storm
Bookshelf Size: 760
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kikijanika.html
Latest Review: Sundown by Carl H. Mitchell

Post by Kikijanika »

I'm reading War Storm right now and so far I like it. I love Evangeline's and Iris's chapters and I find Maven intriguing. Cal I couldn't care less about. I think he's boring. I hope the ending will turn out to be good.
Barbie_sidhu
Currently Reading: Strong heart
Bookshelf Size: 84
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-barbie-sidhu.html
Latest Review: Kalayla by Jeannie Nicholas

Post by Barbie_sidhu »

Some people did not have good view about the last book of the series but i loved it and how the author took the story to the whole different level was admirable.
Vannaskivt
Currently Reading: The Ballad of Songbirds and Snakes
Bookshelf Size: 803
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-vannaskivt.html
Latest Review: Natural Relief for Anxiety and Stress by Gustavo Kinrys, MD

Post by Vannaskivt »

This wasn't my favorite series, but this was certainly NOT my favorite book in the series. Honestly, sometimes by book four, you are just worn out. I do think they did interesting things with new characters which kept me reading, but, if there is a fifth, I probably wouldn't read it.
Praise Steff
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by Praise Steff »

I did'nt expect the ending- its perfect and level up kind of a story. The author took it uniquely and admirable to the readers. I LOVE IT!
Irene Richter
Currently Reading: Beach Read
Bookshelf Size: 52
Reading Device: B00GDQDRPK

Post by Irene Richter »

I definitely felt disappointed with War Storm as well, especially the ending. I feel like the main lure with this series was the whimsical, "rags to riches," royalty motifs present in the first book, and it's hard to sustain that setting throughout a series that focuses on social justice issues and civil war this much. However, I did admire the way that Aveyard was able to keep me hooked throughout Glass Sword and King's Cage. Although most of what attracted me to this series occurred in the first book, I still found myself wondering "What's going to happen next?" and falling in love with the characters as I learned more about them.

That being said, I feel that War Storm was not necessary to this series, this series could have easily been a trilogy. War Storm ended exactly the way the readers were expecting it to, there was little to no sacrifice throughout the plot, and the pacing was dreadfully slow-paced for the first half of the book.

Return to “Young Adult Fiction Books”