Official Review: No place for Forsaken Angels. parts 1, ...

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any young adult books.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
kandscreeley
Special Discussion Leader
Currently Reading: The Door Within
Bookshelf Size: 487
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kandscreeley.html
Latest Review: The Elf Revelation by Jordan David

Official Review: No place for Forsaken Angels. parts 1, ...

Post by kandscreeley »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "No place for Forsaken Angels. parts 1, 2 ,3" by Graham James Collins (G J Collins).]
Book Cover
3 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Life at Greymoors should have been a fairy tale. Beautiful clothes to wear, a maid and butler, horses to ride every day and private tutors. Christine and Caroline have it all. But their mother, Kathleen, believes that strict discipline is the way to salvation and beats them often for the simplest "sin." Simply being a few minutes late to their Bible reading causes them 2 strikes from the rod.

Kathleen's sister Elizabeth has a daughter of her own, Amelia. Her life isn't as opulent as her cousins, but she is loved. Until her mother dies suddenly. On her deathbed, Elizabeth insists that Charles - a shopkeeper that has helped her immensely - not let Kathleen take Amelia. He promises, but Kathleen is a forced to be reckoned with. Charles has no choice but to let Amelia go.

For some reason, Amelia's presence at Greymoors only makes Kathleen more and more angry. It seems that there is some family secret hidden in the recesses of Kathleen's mind making her seek absolution for her sins through these innocent children. What is this secret and will the three children ever be able to get out from under her grasp?

No Place for Forsaken Angels is a young adult book that explores heavy themes such as abuse, love and family. Not the easiest of reads emotionally, I would only recommend it for mature teenagers. However, each situation is handled delicately, only revealing as much as is absolutely necessary to get the point across. For that, I was grateful.

The best thing about this book was the characters. I fell in love with them. I felt their pain and their joy. I rooted for the good ones to prevail over evil; I mourned when that didn't happen. Even the secondary characters were well-rounded; no character was out of place in this book. Since this book was more character-driven than plot-driven, this was an absolute must. I'm pleased to say that the author executed this part of the story well.

Sadly, the editing fell short. The mistakes were too numerous to even count, having discovered the first ten without even being 10% into the novel. The errors ranged from missing apostrophes to missing words to incorrect tenses to incorrect punctuation. Sometimes they went so far as to change the meaning of the sentence completely. For example, one sentence reads: "For her, the demons have not been kept at bay, and the path to riotousness will I fear come at a high price." Riotousness in this case should be righteousness, quite a different meaning.

One further remark about the novel's content. Religion is a theme throughout the book. However, this is not a well-balanced view of God we are looking at but rather an extremely distorted one. For those that do not like any trace of religion in their books, this would not be the way to go. Also, those who get easily offended by someone who takes religion to a level it wasn't intended may want to avoid this read.

Having said that, I did get sufficiently involved in the book that I begun to overlook the errors. High praise from someone who leans towards being a grammar Nazi. Thus, I rate No Place for Forsaken Angels 3 out of 4 stars. I recommend this book to anyone who enjoys realistic characters regardless of age. This book will not be easy to read at all times, but it will be rewarding.

No place for Forsaken Angels. parts 1, 2 ,3
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Like kandscreeley's review? Post a comment saying so!
A book is a dream you hold in your hands.
—Neil Gaiman
gen_g
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: 1984
Bookshelf Size: 104
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gen-g.html
Latest Review: The Diary That Will Change Your Lives Forever by Georgios Zelelidis

Post by gen_g »

The book seems to be well-developed in terms of characters and plot, which is something which I always enjoy. Great review, thanks!
kandscreeley
Special Discussion Leader
Currently Reading: The Door Within
Bookshelf Size: 487
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kandscreeley.html
Latest Review: The Elf Revelation by Jordan David

Post by kandscreeley »

gen_g wrote: 20 Jun 2018, 00:06 The book seems to be well-developed in terms of characters and plot, which is something which I always enjoy. Great review, thanks!
It is! Thanks for commenting.
A book is a dream you hold in your hands.
—Neil Gaiman
Nimat87
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 33
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nimat87.html
Latest Review: Man Mission by Eytan Uliel
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by Nimat87 »

Wow, what an emotionally investing plot. I like books that let the reader connect deeply with its characters. I feel really sorry for the children. Sadly, Kathleen also seems to be battling her own demons. Thanks for the engaging and well written review.
'We are what we repeatedly do. Excellence, then, is not an act but a habit. '
-Will Durant, The Story of Philosophy (1926).
:eusa-think: :clap: :escribir:
OrlaCarty
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 12
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-orlacarty.html
Latest Review: McDowell by William H. Coles

Post by OrlaCarty »

I am an absolute sucker for character-driven stories. I also love that this is a young adult book that explores darker tones of religion. I often think that many young adults are capable of handling more than teen drama and fantasy alone so this is a great addition to that genre. Pity about the editing errors though! Thanks for the review.
mic7464
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by mic7464 »

though well written,and fell so sad for the children .a deep concern for it and thanks for the review
Kathleen also seem battling her demons
anwidmer
Favorite Book: The knowing
Currently Reading: The Awakening
Bookshelf Size: 45
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-anwidmer.html
Latest Review: Becoming the Dragon by Alex Sapegin

Post by anwidmer »

A great review that has me wanting to read it. Im intrigued at the underlying issues the book addresses and am happy to hear the subjects are described delicately not using unnecessary graphics that could at times become triggers for those whom have suffered said issues in their lives. Thank you for your thorough review
Father yarns

Post by Father yarns »

What a splendid review that promt me to read the novel. It seems to me like this novel will be full of suspense. The viewer realy explained almost everything that one need to know about the novel. I say KUDOS to the viewer
JR Mercier
Favorite Book: The Bear and the Nightingale
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 129
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jr-mercier.html
Latest Review: Betrayal by Maggie Walsh

Post by JR Mercier »

This sounds like a great read! I haven't read anything like this in quite a while so maybe I should give it a go. Great review and I'm happy you could overlook the errors even though you are a grammar nazi.:D
Dream up something wild and improbable.
-Strange The Dreamer, Laini Taylor
mariacarolinea
Currently Reading: The Selection
Bookshelf Size: 31
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mariacarolinea.html
Latest Review: Heartaches 2 by H.M. Irwing
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by mariacarolinea »

I find the best books are those character-driven instead of plot-driven. I'm not sure I would like the extreme religious theme, but I would like to give it a shot. Thanks for the great review!
Kashosi
Currently Reading: Gringo
Bookshelf Size: 21
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kashosi.html
Latest Review: Real Secrets Of Life by Krishna Jagarnath

Post by Kashosi »

I t sounds like a good read but i would't go with it.
anwidmer
Favorite Book: The knowing
Currently Reading: The Awakening
Bookshelf Size: 45
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-anwidmer.html
Latest Review: Becoming the Dragon by Alex Sapegin

Post by anwidmer »

Kashosi wrote: 24 Jun 2018, 04:16 I t sounds like a good read but i would't go with it.
Just curious why you would not read it. For religious reasons? Or the sensitive subjects she said it presents? I apologize if this seems like prying and will not be offended if not afforded a reply =)
Rashmi mahour

Post by Rashmi mahour »

It sounds like a good read but i wouldnt go with it. I am not sure i would like the extreme religious theme, but i would like to give it a shot
Amy+++
Favorite Book: The Mister
Currently Reading: Last Chance Cafe
Bookshelf Size: 218
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-amy.html
Latest Review: The Chauvinist's Guide to Modern Romance by Morris Rollins
Reading Device: B01CRGNO4S

Post by Amy+++ »

It had been a while since I have read that was character driven. Might be a nice change of pace. Thank you for the honest review. I will take what happens in the book into consideration before reading.
Kashosi
Currently Reading: Gringo
Bookshelf Size: 21
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kashosi.html
Latest Review: Real Secrets Of Life by Krishna Jagarnath

Post by Kashosi »

anwidmer wrote: 24 Jun 2018, 09:21
Kashosi wrote: 24 Jun 2018, 04:16 I t sounds like a good read but i would't go with it.
Just curious why you would not read it. For religious reasons? Or the sensitive subjects she said it presents? I apologize if this seems like prying and will not be offended if not afforded a reply =)
It is because of the sensitive subjects she said its represents.

Return to “Young Adult Fiction Books”