Official Review: The Century Cube by Bo Boswell

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any young adult books.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Heidi M Simone
Official Reviewer Representative
Favorite Book: Harry Potter
Currently Reading: Beyond the Wand
Bookshelf Size: 556
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-heidi-m-simone.html
Latest Review: The Movie Chair by Shari Borkin
Publishing Contest Votes: 27
fav_author_id: 0

Official Review: The Century Cube by Bo Boswell

Post by Heidi M Simone »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "The Century Cube" by Bo Boswell.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

What would you do if you accidentally landed one hundred years into the future? That’s exactly what happens to two young brothers in Bo Boswell’s young adult science fiction read, The Century Cube.

Ten-year-old Turner and eight-year-old Weston are two brothers that seem to be constantly bickering and butting heads with one another. One day, they spend time at their grandparents’ house as their parents needed some time to themselves. While exploring their grandparents’ barn, they find a curious and unusual cube. Being the big puzzle solver, Turner almost can’t help himself and solves the puzzle cube. The problem is by solving the cube, the two brothers are ripped apart from their world and land one hundred years into the future.

Now, it is 2118 and their once-loved home of Winchester is destroyed and in pieces. They must team up with two other boys and a very friendly robot to ward off against the dangerous technologies that might hinder their chance of returning home.

Such a wonderful, sweet, and fun read! Told in the third-person omniscient point-of-view, the author seamlessly allows the reader to get to know the main cast of characters. Boswell truly captured the sibling love/quarreling relationship between Turner and Weston that warmed my heart throughout. It probably helped that the author named these two boys after his own sons! My favorite character was Dudley, a PAL (Personal Android Laborer) robot. Though a robot, he was just so sweet, funny, and such a loyal friend it was hard not to love him.

While reading, it was clear the author knew his target audience and held the pacing of the plot accordingly. Between the technology, games, references to pop culture, boys being gross at times, and the suspense of who the “bad guy” was, upper elementary and middle school readers would truly enjoy following Weston and Turner.

There are major themes of sibling love, friendship, technology, and persistence throughout. As I have mentioned, the sibling love/bickering relationship between Turner and Weston was precious. Friendships between the boys, the two human friends they meet, and Dudley was heartwarming. I found the progression of technology from 2018 to 2118 was logically and realistically done. Lastly, the persistence of making it back home was one that was appropriate and fit within the text well.

The only improvement I can see is perhaps adding more girls within the story. Aside from meeting a sister of one of the new friends and a grandmother-like figure, there aren’t any females in the story. I believe both girls and boys would enjoy the tale as it is, but having a girl more present might make it more relatable to female readers.

It goes without saying that I’m giving The Century Cube a 4 out of 4 stars. This would be great for children in upper elementary and middle school who enjoy technology and time traveling books. I would even recommend it to adults who are young at heart and enjoy reading books geared toward the younger audience.

The Century Cube
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon | on Smashwords

Like hsimone's review? Post a comment saying so!
Heidi
Official Reviewer Representative

"There is nothing as powerful as a mother’s love, and nothing as healing as a child’s soul." – Unknown
gen_g
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: 1984
Bookshelf Size: 104
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gen-g.html
Latest Review: The Diary That Will Change Your Lives Forever by Georgios Zelelidis

Post by gen_g »

This sounds so fascinating! I love a great sci-fi, and this seems to be it. Thanks for the great review!
Sahani Nimandra
Favorite Book: Harry Potter and The Sorceress Stone
Currently Reading: Man of the World
Bookshelf Size: 698
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sahani-nimandra.html
Latest Review: I once had a Farm in Ireland by Siggy Buckley
Reading Device: Huawei

Post by Sahani Nimandra »

I am not much of a sci-fic fan but this read reminded me of Zathura, the space game movie like Jumanji. Two brothers lost in time (not 100 years). I think this will be an enjoyable read to those who like these movies. Thank you for your review!
The person, be it gentleman or lady, who has not pleasure in a good novel, must be intolerably stupid! - Jane Austen :techie-studyingbrown:
Bianka Walter
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Book: The Old Man and the Sea
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 368
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bianka-walter.html
Latest Review: Thir13en by Keegan Nielsen
Reading Device: B06XD5YCKX

Post by Bianka Walter »

This sounds like great fun! This is the type of book that I loved when I was younger (and still do love...).
Thanks for the awesome review, I enjoyed it :)
You can find magic wherever you look. Sit back and relax, all you need is a book.
- Dr. Seuss
Chigozie Anuli Mbadugha
Book of the Month Participant
Favorite Book: The Barnyard Buddies STOP for Peace
Currently Reading: When Leaves Fall
Bookshelf Size: 1583
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-chigozie-anuli-mbadugha.html
Latest Review: Winning the War on Cancer by Sylvie Beljanski

Post by Chigozie Anuli Mbadugha »

Hmmm! Awesome review. Thanks! This book will be a first for me for many reasons: time travel, omniscient point of view... I will be checking this one out. I like the themes explored in the book as well: sibling love, friendship, technology, and persistence. Well done!
Kendra M Parker
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 421
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kendra-m-parker.html
Latest Review: Requiem, Changing Times by RJ Parker
Reading Device: B00GDQDRPK

Post by Kendra M Parker »

Wow, what a fun read. It does sound like something that would be good for kids, especially kids that are getting caught up in constant sibling rivalry. This seems like such a fun premise, I’ll have to check it out!
Dael Reader
Currently Reading: The Story of Arthur Truluv
Bookshelf Size: 53
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-dael-reader.html
Latest Review: Extraordinary Stories From Everyday People (and me) by Les Clark
Reading Device: 1400697484

Post by Dael Reader »

Futuristic novels for YAs are hot right now. It sounds like this could be a good one! Thanks for your review.
Samantha Simoneau
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 240
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-samantha-simoneau.html
Latest Review: Dancing With Jesus by Allison Broughton
Reading Device: B00IKPYKWG

Post by Samantha Simoneau »

Great review! This sounds like a sweet, exciting read. As a thirty-something who truly loved watching "Captain Underpants," I think I'll be reading this one.
Samantha Simoneau

“But upon the stage of life, while conscience claps, let the world hiss! On the contrary if conscience disapproves, the loudest applauses of the world are of little value."
~John Adams :greetings-clapyellow:
Jackie Holycross
Currently Reading: The 7 Experiment
Bookshelf Size: 306
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-teacherjh.html
Latest Review: 20 World Religions and Faith Practices by Robyn Lebron

Post by Jackie Holycross »

This sounds like a great read. I love futuristic stuff though I’m not sure I could ever describe sibling rivalry as cute. Lol.
kandscreeley
Special Discussion Leader
Currently Reading: Believarexic
Bookshelf Size: 486
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kandscreeley.html
Latest Review: The Elf Revelation by Jordan David

Post by kandscreeley »

Wow! This sounds like a great story that would be right up my alley. I am already looking forward to seeing how they get back to their own time period. Thanks for another great review.
A book is a dream you hold in your hands.
—Neil Gaiman
strawberrysab
Currently Reading: The Keeper of Lost Things
Bookshelf Size: 161
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-strawberrysab.html
Latest Review: Maddy's Wings by Jan porter

Post by strawberrysab »

This book reminds me of a futuristic Jumanji. I loved your review and recommended this book to my son who, I'm sure, is going to love it.
Berry :wine:
daniya__shah3
Currently Reading: Wuthering Heights
Bookshelf Size: 27
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-daniya-shah3.html
Latest Review: Lonely Expiation by Siegfried Finser

Post by daniya__shah3 »

Whoa! This sounds fascinating. Although, I'm not too much into science fiction, I'm sure that I'll enjoy this.
"We are all in the gutter but some of us are looking at the stars."
-Oscar Wilde
Connie Otwani
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 200
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cotwani.html
Latest Review: The Fisherman and his Foundlings by Phillip Leighton-Daly

Post by Connie Otwani »

Sounds like fun! I'm curious about how the brothers make it back in time and if their robot friend tags along! Great review!
There is more treasure in books than in all the pirates’ loot on Treasure Island!
-Walt Disney
bclayton13
Currently Reading: Roanoke
Bookshelf Size: 24
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bclayton13.html
Latest Review: World, Incorporated by Tom Gariffo

Post by bclayton13 »

Your review definitely makes the case. I know a few kids that would adore this, and I think I would too.
pinchess07
Favorite Author: J.K. Rowling
Currently Reading: Zeva
Bookshelf Size: 153
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-pinchess07.html
Latest Review: Oblivion Threshold by J.R. Mabry and B.J. West
fav_author_id: 1778

Post by pinchess07 »

Robots and time travel? I'm in! Your review was detailed and very helpful. I'm picking this book up soon!
“Of course it is happening inside your head, Harry, but why on earth should that mean that it is not real?”

― J.K. Rowling, Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows

Return to “Young Adult Fiction Books”