Official Review: The Lost Fairytales of the Dewdrop Forest

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any young adult books.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
JuliaKay
Currently Reading: The Black Witch
Bookshelf Size: 56
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-juliakay.html
Latest Review: I Am Not Gog by Matthew James Hunt

Official Review: The Lost Fairytales of the Dewdrop Forest

Post by JuliaKay »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "The Lost Fairytales of the Dewdrop Forest" by Bianca Scharff.]
Book Cover
3 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

It is common practice for mothers to tell their children fairytales before tucking them in for the night — to finish the tale with a happily ever after and whisper to the child to have sweet dreams. But what if the one telling the fairytale is an old man who whisks the child away in the middle of the night and makes that child sit in a chair in a pitch black room while he weaves tales of vampires, sinister dolls that come alive, and missing children? These are the fairytales that nightmares are made of.

The Lost Fairytales of the Dewdrop Forest by Bianca Scharff is the enchanting story of Lucy, whose earliest memory is of being a six-year-old misfit and living with her grandmother. For as long as she can recall, Lucy has been different. She frightens other children with the strange stories she tells and the warnings she offers. Worse still, each night she dreams that an old man steals her away to narrate frightening tales. But is she really dreaming? “She waited with her eyes closed, for no matter how hard she tried, she could not move, speak or open her eyes — only able to sit, breathing in the heavy, stagnant air, her body a small tomb.” As the time draws near to what Lucy thinks will be her eighteenth birthday, strange incidents begin to occur. There are smudged fingerprints on the face of a clock in her home that has just been cleaned. Her closet doors begin to shake at exactly midnight, and there is a haunting image of her reflection trapped in a mirror.

Deciding that the time has come to venture out and look deeper into the mysteries that plague her life, Lucy sets off to explore the city of Graywater, a place she believes the old man had told her about in a story — a place where no plants grow and no animals go near. After a twisted series of events that cannot all be recounted here, Lucy passes through a hidden, enchanted door and enters into the ominous Dewdrop Forest. With her satchel packed with quills, paper, and ink, she begins to collect stories from the forest by placing the materials on the ground and waiting for whatever mysterious force lingers there to reveal the tales on paper — long forgotten stories that only the trees remember. As she stumbles through the overgrown forest and wanders into decrepit homes with dark secrets, two individuals hunt Lucy. One is a wolf who is seeking revenge, and the other is a prince who has been waiting for his beloved Lavinia to return — yearning for decades.

This book has an ethereal quality that is stunning, and the author has an exceptional way of painting pictures with words. There was not an abundance of adjectives, but I could still picture myself as Lucy in the Dewdrop Forest or as Lucy wandering around eerie old houses in the woods. As adults, the magic tends to vanish, and I appreciate this author bringing the magic back in such a mesmerizing, yet frightening, way. When I say this story is an adult fairytale, what I mean is that it includes those mystical, fun qualities that are common in stories for children along with a lingering darkness. This is life as you get older — longing for the magic of childhood but weighed down by the complications that come with age.

Punctuation is somewhat of an issue in this book with misplaced quotation marks and commas, but the spelling is on point. Some of the word choices are questionable such as the following: “ ‘Could this be caused by my aging?’ Lucy thought.” It would make more sense to use a word like questioned or wondered rather than thought in this instance. The writing style can at times be confusing with sentences that do not always make complete sense and explanations of events that are rather hard to follow. I think professional editing could pick up on areas that need improvement and help to create a better flow for readers to follow. I rate this book 3 out of 4 stars because the writing still needs a bit of work although the story is wonderful.

The Lost Fairytales of the Dewdrop Forest is not a book that I would recommend for young children due to some frightening and mature descriptions, especially not right before bedtime. It is a fairytale for older readers. For those who do not like stories with fairytale, magical essences, this would not be the best pick. But if you are like me, and you enjoy being swept away into impossible realms that are built with magic at the core, this is probably a story you will enjoy.

The Lost Fairytales of the Dewdrop Forest
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Like JuliaKay's review? Post a comment saying so!
“A reader lives a thousand lives before he dies, said Jojen. The man who never reads lives only one.”
― George R.R. Martin, A Dance with Dragons
gen_g
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: 1984
Bookshelf Size: 104
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gen-g.html
Latest Review: The Diary That Will Change Your Lives Forever by Georgios Zelelidis

Post by gen_g »

This is really fascinating! I love fairy tales with a mature twist. Thanks for the lovely review!
JuliaKay

Post by JuliaKay »

gen_g wrote: 15 Jun 2018, 08:49 This is really fascinating! I love fairy tales with a mature twist. Thanks for the lovely review!
You're welcome! I'm glad you enjoyed it.
“A reader lives a thousand lives before he dies, said Jojen. The man who never reads lives only one.”
Samantha Simoneau
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 240
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-samantha-simoneau.html
Latest Review: Dancing With Jesus by Allison Broughton
Reading Device: B00IKPYKWG

Post by Samantha Simoneau »

I like this revisiting-childhood-stories trend that seems to be everywhere in books, TV, and movies right now. This sounds so engaging and mysterious. I definitely want to check it out, even if it does need some editing. Thanks for the great review!
Samantha Simoneau

“But upon the stage of life, while conscience claps, let the world hiss! On the contrary if conscience disapproves, the loudest applauses of the world are of little value."
~John Adams :greetings-clapyellow:
JuliaKay

Post by JuliaKay »

SamSim wrote: 15 Jun 2018, 09:07 I like this revisiting-childhood-stories trend that seems to be everywhere in books, TV, and movies right now. This sounds so engaging and mysterious. I definitely want to check it out, even if it does need some editing. Thanks for the great review!
I love it too! Revisiting childhood with an adult twist. Makes it so much fun.
Corhan2
Favorite Book: Body of Evidence (Kay Scarpetta #2)
Currently Reading: Land of Painted Caves
Bookshelf Size: 17
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-corhan2.html
Latest Review: Raven's Peak by Lincoln Cole

Post by Corhan2 »

What a nice review - thanks. A fairytale with a twist - awesome! Sounds like my type of book and might just give it a go despite the editorial problems.
JuliaKay

Post by JuliaKay »

Corhan2 wrote: 15 Jun 2018, 09:14 What a nice review - thanks. A fairytale with a twist - awesome! Sounds like my type of book and might just give it a go despite the editorial problems.
I hope you enjoy the story if you decide to read It!
daniya__shah3
Currently Reading: Wuthering Heights
Bookshelf Size: 27
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-daniya-shah3.html
Latest Review: Lonely Expiation by Siegfried Finser

Post by daniya__shah3 »

A fairytale which explores mysteries. Quite intriguing, I must say. However, unorganised formatting is an issue for me since I easily get frustrated with books having multiple grammatical errors and misuse of punctuation. Thanks for the detailed review!
"We are all in the gutter but some of us are looking at the stars."
-Oscar Wilde
Kristy Khem
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Book: Carmela
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 183
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kristykhem.html
Latest Review: Hattie Vavaseur by M. Rebecca Wildsmith

Post by Kristy Khem »

It seems as if some of the enchantment and mysteriousness of this book has leaked its way into your review - I really enjoyed your synopsis and I am intrigued by the plot. If I get a chance to read this one, I would definitely enjoy it. Lovely review, thank you.
JuliaKay

Post by JuliaKay »

daniya__shah3 wrote: 15 Jun 2018, 13:38 A fairytale which explores mysteries. Quite intriguing, I must say. However, unorganised formatting is an issue for me since I easily get frustrated with books having multiple grammatical errors and misuse of punctuation. Thanks for the detailed review!
You're welcome! Hopefully the necessary improvements are made as far as editing.
JuliaKay

Post by JuliaKay »

KristyKhem wrote: 15 Jun 2018, 14:38 It seems as if some of the enchantment and mysteriousness of this book has leaked its way into your review - I really enjoyed your synopsis and I am intrigued by the plot. If I get a chance to read this one, I would definitely enjoy it. Lovely review, thank you.
Thank you! It was a fun story. Hopefully you like it if you decide to read It.
melissy370
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 124
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-melissy370.html
Latest Review: Home To Kentucky by Thomas A. McCoy
Reading Device: B00IKPYKWG

Post by melissy370 »

It is a shame that there is some polishing up that the author has to do. I am intrigued though with the adult fairytale angle and this book might find its way into my hands. Thanks for your excellent review.
Catevanne22
In It Together VIP
Favorite Book: Pancake Money
Currently Reading: Health Tips, Myths, and Tricks: A Physician's Advice
Bookshelf Size: 13
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-catevanne22.html
Latest Review: Ironbark Hill by Jennie Linnane

Post by Catevanne22 »

I like the idea of a fairytale to read and take me away from the mundaneness of everyday life. It’s wonderful to imagine a world different from our own, and your description of the story makes it sound like a very inviting read.
Sahani Nimandra
Favorite Book: Harry Potter and The Sorceress Stone
Currently Reading: Man of the World
Bookshelf Size: 698
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sahani-nimandra.html
Latest Review: I once had a Farm in Ireland by Siggy Buckley
Reading Device: Huawei

Post by Sahani Nimandra »

Honestly, the cover illustration gave me a blissful feeling, and I really like the cover page. Not in my wildest dreams did I think the story was otherwise that lingered danger and mystic enchantments hidden within. It reminded me of what Dumbledore said in the 3rd year: "happiness can be found, even in the darkest of times, if only one remembers to turn one the lights." Thank you for your review!
The person, be it gentleman or lady, who has not pleasure in a good novel, must be intolerably stupid! - Jane Austen :techie-studyingbrown:
JuliaKay

Post by JuliaKay »

melissy370 wrote: 15 Jun 2018, 20:50 It is a shame that there is some polishing up that the author has to do. I am intrigued though with the adult fairytale angle and this book might find its way into my hands. Thanks for your excellent review.
You're welcome! I hope you give it a try.

Return to “Young Adult Fiction Books”