Official Review: A Random Act Of Kindness

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any young adult books.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
BriennaiJ
Currently Reading: Island Games
Bookshelf Size: 42
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-briennaij.html
Latest Review: If Life Stinks, Get Your Head Outta Your But's by Mark L. Wdowiak

Official Review: A Random Act Of Kindness

Post by BriennaiJ »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "A Random Act Of Kindness" by Mike Coy, RFC, CPBA.]
Book Cover
1 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

A Random Act of Kindness by Mike Coy is an inspirational short story about two boys named Gabe and Jake. Gabe was the stereotypical “nerdy kid” who was deemed a genius at a young age, but still made to go through the public school system by his parents who wanted him to be “normal.” Jake was the star football player who was said to have a lot of potential, and was expected to shine in both high school and college sports. When Gabe starts the seventh grade in a new school, he is instantly targeted and bullied by the other kids. Jake randomly decides to befriend him, and they both use their gifts to help each other through life.

This book was far shorter than I expected it to be, as it only took me 15 to 20 minutes to read. This was not a good thing, because it felt that the entire story had been rushed. The story could have been expanded to speak more about Jake and Gabe, their families, their lives after high school, and their lives before they met each other. So much more story could have been included in this novel, especially since it is being sold and advertised as a full-length book. Even some expansion of the author’s story at the beginning could have been used to give the story a deeper meaning by showing how it affected the author’s life.

There was plenty of character development, but little to no description of the character’s surroundings, or building of the world that they walked through. The story mostly just focused on the lives of the two boys and no one else around them. This didn’t quite disappoint me, but I felt that developing the other characters as well couldn’t hurt.

The outside cover of the book is a picture, and I was not expecting the novel to have any other illustrations inside. To my surprise, there were a few cartoon caricatures scattered throughout its pages. The images were always related to the happenings of the chapter, but they still surprised me. It did not take me out of the reading experience that much, but I felt that maybe the book should have stuck with photos since it was meant to be an inspirational and realistic story rather than being a cartoon.

The biggest issue that this book had was the lack of professional editing. I can’t mention every single incident where there were errors, simply because there were so many. Some sentences started with capital letters, whereas many others did not. Some sentences had three periods at the end, others had a period at the beginning. Some sentences were fragments. Some paragraphs just seemed to be filled with a bunch of jumbled information. I could still understand the story, but I wasn’t able to focus on the message as well when I kept getting drawn out by the poor writing.

Unfortunately, I have to rate this book 1 out of 4 stars. I loved the message of the story, even though the overall book took me about 15 minutes to finish. The main plot of the story nearly made me give it 2 stars, but the sheer amount of editing errors makes it nearly unreadable. Only near the end of the novel did I even see writing that looked as if it had been edited at all. I would recommend this novel to readers once it has been re-edited and re-worked in some ways, but in its current state, I would not be able to recommend it to anyone.

A Random Act Of Kindness
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Like BriennaiJ's review? Post a comment saying so!
daniya__shah3
Currently Reading: Wuthering Heights
Bookshelf Size: 27
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-daniya-shah3.html
Latest Review: Lonely Expiation by Siegfried Finser

Post by daniya__shah3 »

I'm generally not very fond of stories which feel rushed, I feel as if I cannot take part in the characters' lives of they are not believable. Thanks for the review, I think I can skip reading this one.
"We are all in the gutter but some of us are looking at the stars."
-Oscar Wilde
kfwilson6
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: Lord of Chaos
Bookshelf Size: 298
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kfwilson6.html
Latest Review: The Stone Wall Crossing by Alice Schellhorn Magrane
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by kfwilson6 »

There doesn't seem to be much to enjoy here. A 15-20 minute read? I can see how the story was lacking in so many areas. It's so sad when authors have a good message but can't even bother to have a friend edit for them!
Samantha Simoneau
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 240
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-samantha-simoneau.html
Latest Review: Dancing With Jesus by Allison Broughton
Reading Device: B00IKPYKWG

Post by Samantha Simoneau »

Sounds like the premise has a lot of potential to be a satisfying read, but it's too short, too disorganized, and to poorly edited. It's a shame that the errors made it "unbearable" to read. Great review!
Samantha Simoneau

“But upon the stage of life, while conscience claps, let the world hiss! On the contrary if conscience disapproves, the loudest applauses of the world are of little value."
~John Adams :greetings-clapyellow:
MsTri
Favorite Author: Miranda Ann Markley
Favorite Book: The Spirit Seeds Book 1
Currently Reading: the Secret of Safe Passage
Bookshelf Size: 1033
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mstri.html
Latest Review: Suddenly Free, Vol. 1 by Yvette Carmon Davis
Reading Device: B07HZHJGY7
fav_author_id: 225682

Post by MsTri »

Wow! All the grammatical errors sound like a children's book I just reviewed a day or two ago; what's up with that?! It's also a shame that the story was rushed and the pictures sucked; at least my book was okay in those aspects... Thanks for the warning, though!
AmySmiles
Favorite Author: Dana Peters
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 149
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-amysmiles.html
Latest Review: Sex Education for Adults Secrets to Amazing Sex and Happily Ever After Too by John Wilder
fav_author_id: 154082

Post by AmySmiles »

Wow, for your sake I'm glad it only took 15 minutes of your time. Imagine if it would have been several hundred pages long. I'll take your suggestion and pass until it has a good editing review.
Anyone who says they have only one life to live must not know how to read a book.
–Author Unknown
BriennaiJ
Latest Review: If Life Stinks, Get Your Head Outta Your But's by Mark L. Wdowiak

Post by BriennaiJ »

daniya__shah3 wrote: 12 Jun 2018, 05:01 I'm generally not very fond of stories which feel rushed, I feel as if I cannot take part in the characters' lives of they are not believable. Thanks for the review, I think I can skip reading this one.
Thanks for commenting! Yes, when a story is rushed it just makes the entire thing seem cheap.
BriennaiJ

Post by BriennaiJ »

kfwilson6 wrote: 12 Jun 2018, 08:16 There doesn't seem to be much to enjoy here. A 15-20 minute read? I can see how the story was lacking in so many areas. It's so sad when authors have a good message but can't even bother to have a friend edit for them!
Thanks for commenting! This definitely was not a satisfying read. I wish it had a good editor go through it! Or even self-proofreading would work in this case.
BriennaiJ

Post by BriennaiJ »

SamSim wrote: 12 Jun 2018, 08:48 Sounds like the premise has a lot of potential to be a satisfying read, but it's too short, too disorganized, and to poorly edited. It's a shame that the errors made it "unbearable" to read. Great review!
Thanks for commenting! The shortness was what really got me, especially when I saw that it is being sold for ten bucks on Amazon!
BriennaiJ

Post by BriennaiJ »

MsTri wrote: 12 Jun 2018, 10:54 Wow! All the grammatical errors sound like a children's book I just reviewed a day or two ago; what's up with that?! It's also a shame that the story was rushed and the pictures sucked; at least my book was okay in those aspects... Thanks for the warning, though!
Thanks for commenting! I hate when a book has too many errors, and I'm sorry that you had a similar experience.
BriennaiJ

Post by BriennaiJ »

AmySmiles wrote: 13 Jun 2018, 09:37 Wow, for your sake I'm glad it only took 15 minutes of your time. Imagine if it would have been several hundred pages long. I'll take your suggestion and pass until it has a good editing review.
Thanks for commenting! I think that if it had been several hundred pages long that I might have tried to force myself to get through it, but I definitely would have had a lot more to complain about.
Marissa Michael
Currently Reading: Carrie
Bookshelf Size: 585
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-marissa-michael.html
Latest Review: Heartaches 3 by H.M. Irwing
2024 Reading Goal: 5
2024 Goal Completion: 60%

Post by Marissa Michael »

The friendship of Gabe and Jake is appealing to me. However, I will only read this book when it is well-edited.
"Read in order to live." ~Gustave Flaubert
"Fiction reveals truths that reality obscures." ~Ralph Waldo Emerson
Helen_Combe
Favorite Book: The Martian
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 193
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-helen-combe.html
Latest Review: And The Trees Began To Move by Lisa Gammon Olson
Reading Device: B00M4L4MFC

Post by Helen_Combe »

A 15 minute read? I know it’s aimed at young adults, but they'd have to be very young to feel they got their money’s worth. It sounds like it could be a good book if the author had another go and expended it. Great review.
A thesaurus is necessary, essential, indispensable, vital, crucial and fundamental.
BriennaiJ

Post by BriennaiJ »

ParadoxicalWoman wrote: 14 Jun 2018, 02:54 The friendship of Gabe and Jake is appealing to me. However, I will only read this book when it is well-edited.
Thanks for commenting! Their story was definitely a lovely one. I hope that this book gets edited soon.
BriennaiJ

Post by BriennaiJ »

Helen_Combe wrote: 14 Jun 2018, 07:29 A 15 minute read? I know it’s aimed at young adults, but they'd have to be very young to feel they got their money’s worth. It sounds like it could be a good book if the author had another go and expended it. Great review.
Unfortunately, I don't even think that a 10-year-old would be satisfied with a fifteen-minute read. I think that this version might have to be mostly scrapped for a new version, but a new version could be amazing! Thanks for commenting.

Return to “Young Adult Fiction Books”