Official Review: Seasons Once Upon My Innocence

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any young adult books.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Momlovesbooks
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: A Book for Oreo
Bookshelf Size: 253
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-momlovesbooks.html
Latest Review: Winter's Kiss by H.L. Hines

Official Review: Seasons Once Upon My Innocence

Post by Momlovesbooks »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Seasons Once Upon My Innocence" by Lea Ann Vandygriff.]
Book Cover
3 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Lea Ann Vandygriff takes us on a journey into a small, Southern town in Seasons: Once Upon My Innocence. The book begins in the small, ranching town of Rhinehart. Everyone knows each other and helps each other in times of need. The main character is an 8th grader, Aubree. Her brother, Randy, and their parents, Clyde and Dolores, are a central part of the book.

We follow the struggles and joys of young Aubree and her friends and family as they weather life's storms including a disastrous tornado, a case of abuse and a pair of brothers that brings chaos to this quiet, little town. Aubree and the young teens in this town mourn the loss of innocence and begin to ask the hard question "Why does God allow bad things to happen to good people?"

The author takes us to a time and place where people know their neighbors and help each other in times of need. The town of Rhinehart sticks together in good times and in bad times. Although no specific time period is mentioned, Ms Vandygriff is descriptive when writing about the small, country town and its inhabitants. I could feel the wind on my face and the dirt beneath my feet as these down-to-earth people went about their daily activities.

The book contains a religious theme and includes blessings before meals, the church as an integral part of the entire community and reaching for God in times of need. Each chapter begins with a verse from the Bible. I found this to be refreshing and a nice way to introduce each chapter.

The author uses a wide variety of characters ranging from sweet, innocent Aubree to the violent, town drunk. The main characters are well-developed, while the secondary characters lend depth to the story. They all tie together to show the joys and disappointments in a small town.

I won't give away spoilers, but there were a couple of topics that could have been expanded upon and dealt with more completely. They didn't seem to be handled the way they actually would be in today's society.

Also, there were quite a few grammatical errors. The book would benefit from a more thorough professional editing.

Other than the above cons, I enjoyed this book. I rate it 3 out of 4 stars. Anyone who enjoys a good, clean story with religious threads throughout will enjoy this book. I'm looking forward to reading the sequel to this book.

Seasons Once Upon My Innocence
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Like Momlovesbooks's review? Post a comment saying so!
Sahani Nimandra
Favorite Book: Harry Potter and The Sorceress Stone
Currently Reading: Man of the World
Bookshelf Size: 698
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sahani-nimandra.html
Latest Review: I once had a Farm in Ireland by Siggy Buckley
Reading Device: Huawei

Post by Sahani Nimandra »

Sounds like a country side tight community read. What happens in a country side community stays in the community. Stories such as these reminded me of the Tv series that I like the most is the Heart of Dixie. Too bad about the grammatical errors though.
The person, be it gentleman or lady, who has not pleasure in a good novel, must be intolerably stupid! - Jane Austen :techie-studyingbrown:
Jackie Holycross
Currently Reading: The 7 Experiment
Bookshelf Size: 306
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-teacherjh.html
Latest Review: 20 World Religions and Faith Practices by Robyn Lebron

Post by Jackie Holycross »

I like southern small towns. This might be interesting to read.
JR Mercier
Favorite Book: The Bear and the Nightingale
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 129
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jr-mercier.html
Latest Review: Betrayal by Maggie Walsh

Post by JR Mercier »

I must admit I don't really read books like these but your review is making me consider it. Really good.
Dream up something wild and improbable.
-Strange The Dreamer, Laini Taylor
Marissa Michael
Currently Reading: Carrie
Bookshelf Size: 585
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-marissa-michael.html
Latest Review: Heartaches 3 by H.M. Irwing
2024 Reading Goal: 5
2024 Goal Completion: 60%

Post by Marissa Michael »

I can relate with the community setting in this book as I myself used to live among the small community where we know each other and will not hesitate to help each other should any of us have problems. I'm curious as to how this story will unfold. Thank you for your review!
"Read in order to live." ~Gustave Flaubert
"Fiction reveals truths that reality obscures." ~Ralph Waldo Emerson
Angeli-ochea
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by Angeli-ochea »

This book shows the story of how one's faith in God being tested. This really happen nowadays.
Kemunto lucy
Currently Reading: It's Easier to Dance
Bookshelf Size: 168
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kemunto-lucy.html
Latest Review: Korian by Giorgio Garofalo

Post by Kemunto lucy »

Countryside based stories are usually best. Thanks for the review.
Samantha Simoneau
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 240
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-samantha-simoneau.html
Latest Review: Dancing With Jesus by Allison Broughton
Reading Device: B00IKPYKWG

Post by Samantha Simoneau »

Momlovesbooks wrote: 07 Jun 2018, 11:58 Anyone who enjoys a good, clean story with religious threads throughout will enjoy this book.
That would be me. I'll have to check this one out. Thanks for the recommendation!
Samantha Simoneau

“But upon the stage of life, while conscience claps, let the world hiss! On the contrary if conscience disapproves, the loudest applauses of the world are of little value."
~John Adams :greetings-clapyellow:
Tselemmy
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by Tselemmy »

This story sounds nice I can't wait to read it

Return to “Young Adult Fiction Books”