Official Review: Treasure Bay by Don Lackey

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any young adult books.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Kristy Khem
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Book: Carmela
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 183
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kristykhem.html
Latest Review: Hattie Vavaseur by M. Rebecca Wildsmith

Official Review: Treasure Bay by Don Lackey

Post by Kristy Khem »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Treasure Bay" by Don Lackey.]
Book Cover
2 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Treasure Bay is a young adult book by Don Lackey. It is the first book in The Tradewind Series. The story follows the members of the West family who suddenly inherit a sailboat from their distant uncle. Their adventures begin on the road from Kansas to the Gulf Coast, where they receive the boat and meet the captain. As the family adjusts to life on the coast, the eldest son Jon finds two things that are worth his time – treasure and a pretty girl.

The pages of Treasure Bay abound with adventure, history, geography, and family fun. The author combined an excellent mix of themes for this story. The book had an educational edge to it because of this. It included navigational insights, boat facts, and small tidbits of Native American history. Most of the story also focused on enjoyable mini-adventures such as the road trip, hunting for treasure, and catching shrimp. This was quite refreshing as most adventure books I have read focused on one main adventure.

I also liked the uniqueness of the characters in this book. Moca West is Native American and certain elements of her culture were portrayed in the story such as the significance of dreams. Quintana’s father is Greek and an element of his culture was also portrayed in the form of ouzo, a Greek liquor. Destrehan was described as Cajun and his accent was captured in the dialogue. The mix of these different cultures was a great aspect of this book.

Unfortunately, I had a few issues with the story. Firstly, the West family was described as consisting of four children and their mother. Each child was described in the first chapter. In chapter 4, another child, Heather, is added to the story. At first, I thought she was a friend, but it was later revealed in chapter 5 that she was part of the family when they were discussing hereditary features. Secondly, Jon once thought about a girl named Talia and he decided to spend more time with her, but there is no other character in the book by that name. This was confusing.

Furthermore, there was a group of sinister truckers in the story that seemed to be keeping tabs on the West family, but their intentions were never revealed. In addition to this, the children’s father has been missing for two years, but despite the numerous references to him, he was not reunited with the family at the end of the book like I expected. I know this book is the first story in a series, but nothing was resolved in the story and this left me feeling dissatisfied at the end of the book.

Additionally, there were many errors in this book including spelling errors, typos, lack of articles and prepositions, the absence of quotation marks, and broken sentences. This book was definitely not professionally edited. Based on the multitude of errors and the issues I mentioned before, I rate it 2 out of 4 stars. Once this book is edited, it will be enjoyable to all young adult readers, especially sailing fans.

Treasure Bay
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Like KristyKhem's review? Post a comment saying so!
Laura Del
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 28
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-laura-del.html
Latest Review: The Crystilleries of Echoland by Dew Pellucid

Post by Laura Del »

I don't like when books are confusing like that. Though it does seem like a pretty neat concept, I think I'll pass on this one.
"Write drunk, edit sober."~Ernest Hemingway
Nimat87
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 33
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nimat87.html
Latest Review: Man Mission by Eytan Uliel
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by Nimat87 »

I love stories involving adventures, but the fact that the book is laced with numerous errors could be a turn off for me.
'We are what we repeatedly do. Excellence, then, is not an act but a habit. '
-Will Durant, The Story of Philosophy (1926).
:eusa-think: :clap: :escribir:
Samantha Simoneau
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 240
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-samantha-simoneau.html
Latest Review: Dancing With Jesus by Allison Broughton
Reading Device: B00IKPYKWG

Post by Samantha Simoneau »

The first half of this review had me all excited to read this book. It's a shame about the lack of resolution, the confusion about who is part of the family, and the lack of editing. I would definitely want to read this one after some tweaking and revision. Thanks for your thorough review!
Samantha Simoneau

“But upon the stage of life, while conscience claps, let the world hiss! On the contrary if conscience disapproves, the loudest applauses of the world are of little value."
~John Adams :greetings-clapyellow:
stacie k
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 192
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-stacie-k.html
Latest Review: River Kids by Jennie Linnane

Post by stacie k »

This sounds like a book with great potential that isn't quite ready yet. I hope the author does a bit more refining and editing and tries again. Thanks for the informative review!
“The tongue of the wise makes knowledge acceptable.” Proverbs 15:2a
Kristy Khem
Currently Reading:

Post by Kristy Khem »

stacie k wrote: 03 Jun 2018, 16:32 This sounds like a book with great potential that isn't quite ready yet. I hope the author does a bit more refining and editing and tries again. Thanks for the informative review!
I agree with you Stacie K. A bit more refining and it will be a great story!
Kristy Khem
Currently Reading:

Post by Kristy Khem »

Laura Del wrote: 02 Jun 2018, 14:50 I don't like when books are confusing like that. Though it does seem like a pretty neat concept, I think I'll pass on this one.
The confusion was a little off putting, but hopefully the author makes some changes :D
Kristy Khem
Currently Reading:

Post by Kristy Khem »

SamSim wrote: 03 Jun 2018, 07:40 The first half of this review had me all excited to read this book. It's a shame about the lack of resolution, the confusion about who is part of the family, and the lack of editing. I would definitely want to read this one after some tweaking and revision. Thanks for your thorough review!
I really hope its put through one more round of edits - it has great potential to be a fun book for young adults! Thanks for sharing your thoughts :)
Jackie Holycross
Currently Reading: The 7 Experiment
Bookshelf Size: 306
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-teacherjh.html
Latest Review: 20 World Religions and Faith Practices by Robyn Lebron

Post by Jackie Holycross »

It seems like too many books that are setting up a series don't have closure. It's ok to leave room for the next book, but give your reader some completion in the first one too.
Kristy Khem
Currently Reading:

Post by Kristy Khem »

teacherjh wrote: 03 Jun 2018, 21:11 It seems like too many books that are setting up a series don't have closure. It's ok to leave room for the next book, but give your reader some completion in the first one too.
I agree!

Return to “Young Adult Fiction Books”