Official Review: Time Trap: Red Moon Trilogy book 1

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any young adult books.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Dolor
Favorite Author: Craig R. Key
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 12472
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-dolor.html
Latest Review: The Center of Gravity by Patricia Brandon
Reading Device: 1400697484
fav_author_id: 115430

Official Review: Time Trap: Red Moon Trilogy book 1

Post by Dolor »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Time Trap: Red Moon Trilogy book 1" by Micah Caida.]
Book Cover
3 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

“We have proven the power of shared knowledge and communication to survive in this Sphere. There is no value in hoarding information if the price is our future.”

Rayen woke up in the middle of the desert near the Sandia Mountains with a sentient beast chasing her, and with no idea who she is or where she's from. Her survival instinct saved her from the beast, but not from the police who captured her together with the juvenile delinquents charged of theft. When proven guilt-free, they took her to the Byzantine Institute of Excellence where she met Tony and Gabby. Taking an old computer and rebuilding it into an AI or Artificial Intelligence unit for the Top Ten Project, the three of them got stuck inside the computer in a bizarre time travel warp and spit out from a transcender. From there begins the jam-packed adventure with mesmerizing twists and turns. Will they be able to return back to their original place and at the right time?

Silver Hawk Press LLC published the Time Trap: Red Moon Trilogy book 1 by Micah Caida on January 20, 2014. It is filed under the young adult genre with underlying themes of love, friendship, unity, heroism, good versus evil, leadership, judgement, survival, technology, magic, time travel, telepathy, loyalty, and trust. This science-meets-fantasy book is narrated in the first-person in Rayen's point of view.

The promising plot and the very descriptive world-building enabled me to follow the story by creating a video of the events in my mind. I would like to watch this story made into a movie. It's the strange words like TeKnati, MystiK, and the words in the glossary that slowed down my reading pace. The glossary provided the pronunciations only. The direct meaning and even a few information about those words are not stated in the glossary. They made me visit Mr. Google and the Thesaurus family many times. Some words used, are just the author's own inventions, so they left me comprehending them based on the further descriptions in the contents.

The characters are likable especially Rayen's. She is not a damsel-in-distress type, but a brave warrior with sporadic superpower. Gabby is into telepathy while Tony is a tech-savvy. All the characters are distinguishable and introduced one after another in a way that would not confuse the readers. The transition flow is in a constant standard pace with twists and turns that made the storyline very unpredictable. Random irregularly chopped sentences peppered in the contents give emphasis and sound like a radio drama narrations. For example, "Another room. This one metal. Round walls. Blinking red-orange light." However, the thoughts, questions in mind, and the telepathy were not italicized to differentiate from the narrations.

The ending of the book gives way to the next sequel. I wonder how the plot evolves in books 2 and 3, so I will definitely be glad to read all of them. A few edits on the grammar, lay-out, and more information on the words on its glossary are my improvement suggestions for this book in order to garner a perfect rating from me. I rate Time Trap: Red Moon Trilogy book 1 by Micah Caida 3 out of 4 stars. I recommend this book to the young adults who are "Hunger Games" and "Harry Potter" fans.

Time Trap: Red Moon Trilogy book 1
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon | on iTunes

Like Dolor's review? Post a comment saying so!
gen_g
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: 1984
Bookshelf Size: 104
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gen-g.html
Latest Review: The Diary That Will Change Your Lives Forever by Georgios Zelelidis

Post by gen_g »

Thank you for your comprehensive review! I love adventure books like this one, with strong female characters. Actually, I love strong female characters in all my stories, period. It looks like a great read and I hope that I will enjoy it too, despite the various errors.
Dolor
Currently Reading:

Post by Dolor »

gen_g wrote: 20 May 2018, 23:13 Thank you for your comprehensive review! I love adventure books like this one, with strong female characters. Actually, I love strong female characters in all my stories, period. It looks like a great read and I hope that I will enjoy it too, despite the various errors.
Errors can be overlooked. If you enjoyed watching Hunger Games and Harry Potter movies, I'm sure you'll enjoy reading this book. It's a perfect combination of survival, adventure, and magic.
gen_g
Latest Review: The Diary That Will Change Your Lives Forever by Georgios Zelelidis

Post by gen_g »

Dolor wrote: 21 May 2018, 02:16
gen_g wrote: 20 May 2018, 23:13 Thank you for your comprehensive review! I love adventure books like this one, with strong female characters. Actually, I love strong female characters in all my stories, period. It looks like a great read and I hope that I will enjoy it too, despite the various errors.
Errors can be overlooked. If you enjoyed watching Hunger Games and Harry Potter movies, I'm sure you'll enjoy reading this book. It's a perfect combination of survival, adventure, and magic.
Indeed, I hope that you will enjoy the books I review too! Do let me know your thoughts.
Dolor
Currently Reading:

Post by Dolor »

gen_g wrote: 21 May 2018, 02:41
Indeed, I hope that you will enjoy the books I review too! Do let me know your thoughts.
I reciprocate all who passed by my reviews and left their thoughts about them. I had read your review, and had sent my comment, but I lost track of the battery. It went off before my comment was successfully sent. Then, I was busy processing my papers in the Philippine embassy in Riyadh so hopefully I could go back to the Philippines sooner. I'm sorry for the late reply and late comment on your review in reciprocation. Thanks for understanding.
gen_g

Post by gen_g »

Dolor wrote: 21 May 2018, 06:42
gen_g wrote: 21 May 2018, 02:41

I reciprocate all who passed by my reviews and left their thoughts about them. I had read your review, and had sent my comment, but I lost track of the battery. It went off before my comment was successfully sent. Then, I was busy processing my papers in the Philippine embassy in Riyadh so hopefully I could go back to the Philippines sooner. I'm sorry for the late reply and late comment on your review in reciprocation. Thanks for understanding.
Oh dear, I do hope everything went well! I do as well, since I feel that reciprocation is always a good thing to do. Thank you for your comment, and I hope your papers in Riyadh will be processed sooner rather than later! (:
Jackie Holycross
Currently Reading: The 7 Experiment
Bookshelf Size: 306
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-teacherjh.html
Latest Review: 20 World Religions and Faith Practices by Robyn Lebron

Post by Jackie Holycross »

I love adventure and magic, but this sounds a little confusing to me. I tend to get lost in fantasy books.
Dolor
Currently Reading:

Post by Dolor »

teacherjh wrote: 21 May 2018, 12:41 I love adventure and magic, but this sounds a little confusing to me. I tend to get lost in fantasy books.
Just find your way back after getting lost. 😀
Plfern
Currently Reading: Morning Is Always Nigh
Bookshelf Size: 60
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-plfern.html
Latest Review: The Warramunga's War by Greg Kater

Post by Plfern »

This sounds like a good one for my young adult son who enjoys this type of story. Personally, I have a hard time following science fiction/fantasy stories. Your review, Dolor, well-described what to expect in this book, Time Trap: Red Moon Trilogy Book 1 by Micah Caida. I won't be reading this one or the following books in the trilogy, however, I will recommend it to my son who may be interested. Thank you for your review.
Jackie Holycross
Currently Reading: The 7 Experiment
Bookshelf Size: 306
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-teacherjh.html
Latest Review: 20 World Religions and Faith Practices by Robyn Lebron

Post by Jackie Holycross »

Dolor wrote: 21 May 2018, 13:43
teacherjh wrote: 21 May 2018, 12:41 I love adventure and magic, but this sounds a little confusing to me. I tend to get lost in fantasy books.
Just find your way back after getting lost. 😀
Great advice!! :wink2: :D
melissy370
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 124
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-melissy370.html
Latest Review: Home To Kentucky by Thomas A. McCoy
Reading Device: B00IKPYKWG

Post by melissy370 »

This sounds like an interesting premise, but I don't like not knowing if the character is speaking or thinking. This is a pet peeve of mine, so I guess I will pass on it. Thanks for your review.
Wisarut Supannafai9
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 71

Post by Wisarut Supannafai9 »

I like fantasy stories which help me to ignite my curiosity toward changing events. I like the way that you talk about lessons that you will get right after finishing a book which helps me understand the reason why the author attempts to tell that story. I admit that I develop reading capability according to bookclub which disciplines my mind and enhance my horizon which I don't have much. Thank you...
Alexander Canlas
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by Alexander Canlas »

I have a strong feeling that I'm going to love this book! I always got hooked by stories involving some kind of time travel. And plus the main character is a brave woman.
Dolor
Currently Reading:

Post by Dolor »

Alexander Canlas wrote: 22 May 2018, 19:53 I have a strong feeling that I'm going to love this book! I always got hooked by stories involving some kind of time travel. And plus the main character is a brave woman.
You'll surely love this book the way I do.
stacie k
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 192
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-stacie-k.html
Latest Review: River Kids by Jennie Linnane

Post by stacie k »

This sounds like an exciting and entertaining book to read! Your description of being stuck in a computer in a time travel warp made me think of Superhighway, which I also enjoyed. Thanks for sharing your thoughts on this book!
“The tongue of the wise makes knowledge acceptable.” Proverbs 15:2a

Return to “Young Adult Fiction Books”