Official Review: Voyage of Pearl of the Seas

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any young adult books.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
4cynthia72
Currently Reading: Word collector
Bookshelf Size: 14

Re: Official Review: Voyage of Pearl of the Seas

Post by 4cynthia72 »

To me the story looks interesting reading it out to kids and showing them the pictures. Thanks for the review.
Andie-j
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 35
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-andie-j.html
Latest Review: Twisted Threads by Kaylin McFarren

Post by Andie-j »

It is always good to have such a detailed review which tells a reader what they are in for. Personally I don't think I would read a book which has punctuation and problems with the sentence structure. I am also not a fan of C.S Lewis a fact that puts me in the minority here.
Doris Mbotela
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 15
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-do57.html
Latest Review: Kalayla by Jeannie Nicholas

Post by Doris Mbotela »

The storyline sounds like an adventure series involving youngsters which I normally enjoy reading. I think the poetic style gives it that extra edge and actually piqued my curiosity. Otherwise, without the poetry, I think it would have been just another story. Great review though.
Debjani Ghosh
Favorite Book: The Lord Of The Rings
Currently Reading: The Evacuees
Bookshelf Size: 86
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-debjani-ghosh.html
Latest Review: Days of the Giants by RJ Petrella

Post by Debjani Ghosh »

Thanks for the detailed review! I appreciate how you have so lucidly explained the highs and lows of this book. Judging by the review, the author has not been able to do full justice to this fantasy plot. Hence, I will rather skip this one.
Sgraham
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by Sgraham »

Hmmmm.. I became uninterested immediately because of the repetition. But to be fair I did only have the two sample pages. But With that being said I was curious about where it was leading to. Maybe if I had listened to it instead of read it myself I wouldn't have immediately felt like it wasn't for me. I did appreciate the flow of it.
trulyfreeclub
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 13

Post by trulyfreeclub »

I read the sample and I must say that Finnegan's daring and bold style of writing through poetry is certainly unique. When compared to C.S. Lewis' The Chronicles of Narnia, it has the same taste of adventure and spirituality. Although I loved to read about sea adventures and creatures beyond imagination, it will take a lot of background on poetry and literature in order to appreciate the story. Inasmuch as I would like to let my kids read the book, I don't think they are capable of understanding the in-depth poetry. Kudos to the author, Professor Ruth Finnegan, for writing such an inspiring book. Don't stop giving colors to the world of fantasy and life's journey to God.
Versiera71
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 4

Post by Versiera71 »

After reading the sample of Voyage of Pearl of the Sea, I do not think it is anything really unique. I felt that the author was kind of rambling and all over the place with her thought process. Maybe it will provide more quality as the story progresses, but the sample provided did not hold much appeal. I would give this book 1 1/2 to 2 stars.
eu19ge19ne
Currently Reading: The Message?
Bookshelf Size: 10

Post by eu19ge19ne »

The book sounds unique. I think this book might be too much for me. I had to read it twice to find out what it was all about. It's not that confusing and I think it's cool with the voyage thing.
Josie-Leigh

Post by Josie-Leigh »

I have only sampled the first chapter of this book and unfortunately it didn’t draw me in too much. I must admit I had to read over a few bits a couple of times as it jumped from one topic, to another and back again. There was no context as to who these people were which adds a mystery element which might make others want to delve deeper into the book and discover more about these characters but for me.. it didn’t do much. Maybe if I bought the book and fully read it I’d understand the writers style but simply from the sample it wasn’t grabbing my attention. Overall I would give this first sample chapter a 2/5 stars purely due to the fact that although it had an undertone of a story to come, it wasn’t enough to grab my attention.
Julehart1
Currently Reading: Adrift
Bookshelf Size: 85
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-julehart1.html
Latest Review: Killing Time ... Physics, Lust and Greed Series Book 3 by Mike Murphey

Post by Julehart1 »

This sounds interesting. From what you describe this is not the type of book I would usually read. Not following grammatical rules seems like a weird choice. I could maybe give this book a chance just out of curiosity to see how unique it really is. Thanks for your thorough review.
Yuli1213

Post by Yuli1213 »

Review on "Official Review: Voyage of Pearl of the Seas by BookishCreature » 14 May 2018, 17:06"

I seriously appreciate the likes and dislikes arising from the personal preference in this review. While personal preference isn't always relevant to every single person the specific example from the book was perfect, the comparison between forms of literature is useful, and the detail in explaining the storyline itself is very helpful as well. Even if I were to have a different preference in books i feel like I can really trust such a detailed review from this reviewer!
Dorothy Kiyaka
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 20

Post by Dorothy Kiyaka »

Truly lovely. Prose and poetry combined.Its such a beautiful story in which adventure is rampant. The dialogue between the two children is gripping, and the vocabulary superb. I recommend this book not only to teenagers but adults as well.
Lolababs94
Favorite Author: Mariana Zapata
Favorite Book: The Wall of Winnipeg and Me
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 39
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-lolababs94.html
Latest Review: McDowell by William H. Coles
fav_author_id: 11762

Post by Lolababs94 »

Thank you for the review. I like the fact that it leans towards poetry. I also read the sample and enjoyed it.
Oceanside
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 15
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-oceanside.html
Latest Review: The Sword Swallower and a Chico Kid by Gary Robinson

Post by Oceanside »

Upon reading the free sample of the book, I agree with the statements made in your review. The sample didn’t reveal much of a setting and it was hard to tell what was even going on. I like that you also focused on the good things about this book and highlighted on the author’s strengths. Great review!
kwame1977
Currently Reading: The Vatican Protocol
Bookshelf Size: 150
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kwame1977.html
Latest Review: Learn to Play Guitar by Gareth Evans

Post by kwame1977 »

Sea adventure is my favorite genre. I'm pleased with this review. I'll definitely read this book. Thanks for this entertaining review.

Return to “Young Adult Fiction Books”