Official Review: Voyage of Pearl of the Seas

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any young adult books.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Nayak1998
Bookshelf Size: 0

Re: Official Review: Voyage of Pearl of the Seas

Post by Nayak1998 »

Speaking of exploration, the author also includes a set of discussion questions to get her readers thinking more critically about the story. I really love when YA authors include discussion prompts – they are wonderful conversation starters for kids and parents alike.

I also adored Rachel Backshall’s gorgeous illustrations. A handful of full-page pencil drawings were scattered throughout the chapters, and each one is brimming with detail. The abstract art style added to the dreamy feel of the story as a whole, and they were probably my favorite part of the entire book.

Unfortunately, that same dreamy feel also plays into what I disliked about Voyage of Pearl of the Seas. Finnegan’s writing style leans far more towards poetry than prose. The semi-abstract, stream-of-consciousness storytelling made it difficult for me to really understand the specifics of the situations that Chris and Kate were in.

I’m a pretty literal person, so this is just my personal preference and not a complaint. I do, however, have a complaint. It seemed like in order to get that poetic feel, the author let punctuation and sentence structure fall to the wayside, which often made sentences confusing. Here’s an excerpt so you can see what I mean.

I think there’s a way to make prose more poetic without sacrificing function for form. More conventional grammar would have made this book easier to parse. As it stands, the writing style took me out of the story instead of drawing me in, which is why I’m giving it a final rating of 2 out of 4 stars.
Jameskan340
Favorite Author: World map 1419 San Fernando Burbank
Currently Reading: The Girl Who Knew da Vinci
Bookshelf Size: 25
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jameskan340.html
Latest Review: My Trip To Adele by R.I.Alyaseer and A. I Alyaseer
fav_author_id: 153396

Post by Jameskan340 »

This is a classic literature I am lured to read because I am a fun of the ocean and everything concerns it and I love the Christian reference in the literature, wish to read it someday. Nice review, thumbs up. :lol: :lol: :lol:
Keri wood
Bookshelf Size: 14
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-keri-wood.html
Latest Review: "Raven's Peak" by Lincoln Cole

Post by Keri wood »

I look forward to reading this book it sounds like it's right up my alley. The review was written perfectly.
Latest Review: "Raven's Peak" by Lincoln Cole
Nerea
Favorite Author: William H. Coles
Favorite Book: Diamond and Pearls
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 675
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nerea.html
Latest Review: Little White Lies by JC Anderson
Reading Device: Laptop
fav_author_id: 89641
Signature Addition: No Wahala

Post by Nerea »

I haven't read the book but am looking forward to read it I may like it. Thank you for the honest review of the book.
No Wahala
Tashia barracks

Post by Tashia barracks »

I already this book before an it's interested to me because of the poetry so therefore I give it 3stars
Johntenle
Currently Reading: Final Notice

Post by Johntenle »

The Voyage of Pearl of the Seas is dreamy and mythical i liked it.This kind of poetry illustration are shown by cs lewis who am a big fan of his work.I rate it 2 out 4
marstranslation

Post by marstranslation »

Your Article are good informations.i really enjoyed.thankx for sharing.
AinyiA1759

Post by AinyiA1759 »

From the start it was interesting and mind captivating... Along the line it changes its momentum.... I love the back cover. It cool anyway seriously think of deserves 3 out of 4 stars.
mariacarolinea
Currently Reading: The Selection
Bookshelf Size: 31
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mariacarolinea.html
Latest Review: Heartaches 2 by H.M. Irwing
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by mariacarolinea »

Funny enough the summary and the cover made me think of Peter Pan and how twisted and wicked it is to live in a magical land, yet, at some point, we all end up yearning to go back home. The tale sounds interesting, although too fancy and poetic writing aren't my thing. Great review, thanks!
OrlaCarty
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 12
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-orlacarty.html
Latest Review: McDowell by William H. Coles

Post by OrlaCarty »

I actually loved the quote that you included from the novel! I didn't think I would enjoy a poetry/fantasy fusion, but it seems as if that might be on the cards now. I love that you can still manage to interest someone like me, while being completely honest about disliking aspects. That's the sign of a great review in my opinion. Thank you very much for it.
bclayton13
Currently Reading: Roanoke
Bookshelf Size: 24
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bclayton13.html
Latest Review: World, Incorporated by Tom Gariffo

Post by bclayton13 »

I enjoyed C.S. Lewis growing up, so I might really like this. Still it might be a pain, it would be hard to enjoy if I can't figure out what's happening. Great review, I'll keep it in mind if I decide to give this book a try.
Tamorie Hargro
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading: Billy Summers
Bookshelf Size: 168
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-tamorie-hargro.html
Latest Review: Teardrops by Helen Burger
Reading Device: B083JVJQH4

Post by Tamorie Hargro »

Thanks for including the excerpt. It really shows first-hand how frustrating/confusing the book must have been to read. I typically really enjoy dream-like books and storytelling, but when it seems forced, it kind of looses its power. Maybe I'll skip out on this one. Thanks for the review!
J.K. Rowling - Albus Dumbledore, Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban wrote:Happiness can be found even in the darkest of times, if one only remembers to turn on the light. 🔥
julessawyer
Currently Reading: The Lost Continent
Bookshelf Size: 69
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-julessawyer.html
Latest Review: Randy Love...at your service by Shay Carter

Post by julessawyer »

I'm not a CS Lewis fan but I'm a Rumi fan. I am glad to try this although I a little disheartened when I read the excerpt. But I'm mostly interested on the drawings within its pages. Thanks for your review! :)
julessawyer
Currently Reading: The Lost Continent
Bookshelf Size: 69
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-julessawyer.html
Latest Review: Randy Love...at your service by Shay Carter

Post by julessawyer »

I'm not a CS Lewis fan but I'm a Rumi fan. I am glad to try this although I am a little disheartened when I read the excerpt. Nonetheless I'm interested on the drawings within its pages. I will still gamble on reading this one. Thanks for your review! :)

Return to “Young Adult Fiction Books”