Official Review: Seventeen by Suzanne Lowe

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any young adult books.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Dolor
Favorite Author: Craig R. Key
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 12472
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-dolor.html
Latest Review: The Center of Gravity by Patricia Brandon
Reading Device: 1400697484
fav_author_id: 115430

Official Review: Seventeen by Suzanne Lowe

Post by Dolor »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Seventeen" by Suzanne Lowe.]
Book Cover
3 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

“If you want to survive, you're going to have to learn to be ruthless.”

The tensions between Japan and North Korea escalated to boiling point once again when a small plane, carrying an illegal biological substance, piloted by North Korean citizens had crashed into Mt. Zao near the town of Yamagata in Japan. Three weeks before Christmas, the Karvovirus or KV17 had started killing all the adults in Western Australia, leaving only the sixteen-year-olds and below.

The shortage of food, the loss of electricity, the quest for safety and a fresh start, away from bad memories of their parents' death, made the sisters, Lexi and Hadley, and all the other children from Perth move to Jasper's Bay. Will their future be bright and peaceful with Broc and his gang pestering them like a possessed clown, and the mutation of the virus causing the infected 17-year-olds to get out of their own sanity and uncontrollably wild like an animal?

Seventeen by Suzanne Lowe was published by Creativia in 2016. The story is set in Western Australia. The Table of Contents includes a Prologue which is narrated in the first-person perspective of Lexi, the thirty-two chapters narrated in the author's omniscient point of view, the Aftermath combiningly narrated by both of them, and an information About the Author. The book is filed under the Young Adult genre with underlying themes of friendship, love, unity, brotherhood, sisterhood, dystopia, good versus evil, death, destruction, jealousy, and betrayal.

The worldbuilding of this fiction book depicts a dystopian world of the youth without older persons to discipline the crazy teen like Broc who gets everyone's attention through his evil ways and enjoys causing the other children's misery. I laud the author for her unpredictable storyline and the plot is a masterpiece that wakes all the emotions of the reader. The story is full of suspenseful twists and turns, and it grips me from the beginning until the end in a perfect pace. From a numb feeling to being in a rage, I laughed, cried, feared, empathised, hated, loved and felt every feeling that the characters felt. The characters are likable, relatable, and realistic. They are introduced in a manner that won't confuse the reader. I like all the protagonists and I despise all the antagonists. It's crazy, but there came a time that I wanted to burn Broc alive while reading the hateful things he did.

Reading the story reminded me of the combination of the movies "Are You Afraid of the Dark?" and "Dear Diary" in a sense that the story could've started with the children sitting around the bonfire to start the horror story with a dry log thrown in the fire, then ended by reading the ending of the story and closing a diary. The story started in what seems like a historical fiction of the origin of the air-borne virus. The ending is tied up properly giving glimpses of what happened to all the characters including Polo, the Robinson's pet dog.

The number of errors peppered in the contents can turn a reader off. They include wrong, missing, and misplaced punctuations, random capitalization, wrong words used, wrong spelling, clauses treated as sentences, weird sentences, and wrong grammar. I award Seventeen by Suzanne Lowe 3 out of 4 stars. This book could receive a perfect rating from me after a very thorough editing. I recommend this book to all readers who are 18 years old and above especially those who are into dystopian style scenario. There are some scenes and foul language not suitable for very young audiences. Fans of the movies "Are You Afraid of the Dark?" and "Dear Diary" will surely enjoy this book despite the errors. It should not take a worldwide epidemic for us to find out our strengths. The major lesson of the story is for us to be ready at all times.

Seventeen
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Like Dolor's review? Post a comment saying so!
Jackie Holycross
Currently Reading: The 7 Experiment
Bookshelf Size: 306
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-teacherjh.html
Latest Review: 20 World Religions and Faith Practices by Robyn Lebron

Post by Jackie Holycross »

I love a good YA dystopian novel. This one goes on my read list. Thanks.
Dolor
Currently Reading:

Post by Dolor »

teacherjh wrote: 10 May 2018, 12:41 I love a good YA dystopian novel. This one goes on my read list. Thanks.
I'm glad to hear that from you.
SammiArch
Currently Reading: Final Notice
Bookshelf Size: 42
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sammiarch.html
Latest Review: Heartaches 3 by H.M. Irwing

Post by SammiArch »

This was a well written and informative review. After reading your interpretation and critiques I know what to expect and think I will be adding this to the list of want to reads. Thanks so much!
Sammi Arch
Dolor
Currently Reading:

Post by Dolor »

SammiArch wrote: 10 May 2018, 18:07 This was a well written and informative review. After reading your interpretation and critiques I know what to expect and think I will be adding this to the list of want to reads. Thanks so much!
It's my pleasure. Thanks for the compliment.
Sahani Nimandra
Favorite Book: Harry Potter and The Sorceress Stone
Currently Reading: Man of the World
Bookshelf Size: 698
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sahani-nimandra.html
Latest Review: I once had a Farm in Ireland by Siggy Buckley
Reading Device: Huawei

Post by Sahani Nimandra »

Wow! Sounds like a dynamic dystopian read that one can expect to get a multi-dimensional universe exploding in one's head. Very captivating and a lot adventure which I'm sure that young reader would definitely run into. Thank you for your review and it is definitely goes in my bookshelf.
The person, be it gentleman or lady, who has not pleasure in a good novel, must be intolerably stupid! - Jane Austen :techie-studyingbrown:
trajoe1206
Currently Reading: The Witch of Endor: Vampires
Bookshelf Size: 47
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-trajoe1206.html
Latest Review: The Witch of Endor by RK Wheeler
Reading Device: B00IKPYKWG

Post by trajoe1206 »

Thanks for the detailed review. I love suspense and adventure. Will add this to my reading list
Dolor
Currently Reading:

Post by Dolor »

Sahani Nimandra wrote: 10 May 2018, 21:50 Wow! Sounds like a dynamic dystopian read that one can expect to get a multi-dimensional universe exploding in one's head. Very captivating and a lot adventure which I'm sure that young reader would definitely run into. Thank you for your review and it is definitely goes in my bookshelf.
I hope you won't just keep it in your shelf and let the dust in. 🤓 Kidding aside, thanks for expressing your thoughts on this book.
Dolor
Currently Reading:

Post by Dolor »

trajoe1206 wrote: 10 May 2018, 22:22 Thanks for the detailed review. I love suspense and adventure. Will add this to my reading list
I'm glad to know that this book is your forte. Thanks for dropping by and leaving your thoughts on my review.
revna01
Currently Reading: Storm Front
Bookshelf Size: 143
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-revna01.html
Latest Review: Rufus: A Boy's Extraordinary Experiences in the Civil War by Phoebe Sheldon

Post by revna01 »

The plot is definitely intriguing! I'm trying to imagine what becomes of the sisters as they have just lost everything they loved and are now having to deal with Broc. Too bad about the errors, but I'm glad you enjoyed the book. Thanks for a great review!
Dolor
Currently Reading:

Post by Dolor »

SABRADLEY wrote: 11 May 2018, 03:37 The plot is definitely intriguing! I'm trying to imagine what becomes of the sisters as they have just lost everything they loved and are now having to deal with Broc. Too bad about the errors, but I'm glad you enjoyed the book. Thanks for a great review!
Thanks for dropping by and leaving your thoughts on my review.

It is worth reading!

Thanks for the compliment.
gen_g
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: 1984
Bookshelf Size: 104
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gen-g.html
Latest Review: The Diary That Will Change Your Lives Forever by Georgios Zelelidis

Post by gen_g »

Wow, this looks really interesting! I would definitely love to see what the world would be like if the only people present were aged sixteen and below. Thank you for your detailed review.
Dolor
Currently Reading:

Post by Dolor »

gen_g wrote: 12 May 2018, 11:27 Wow, this looks really interesting! I would definitely love to see what the world would be like if the only people present were aged sixteen and below. Thank you for your detailed review.
It's my pleasure.
Ashiyya Tariq
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 235
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ashiyya-tariq.html
Latest Review: Deadly Waters: The Vietnam Naval War And Its Aftermath by Randy Miller
Reading Device: PDF

Post by Ashiyya Tariq »

The book seems to be full of mystery and suspence. I think it contains two different but connected plots, a dystopian world and and bitter relations between Japan and North Korea in wake of a fateful incident. I am glad you enjoyed it. Thanks for this interesting review.
Make your ideals high enough to inspire you and low enough to encourage you.

📕📖📰📓📕
Dolor
Currently Reading:

Post by Dolor »

Sarah Tariq wrote: 12 May 2018, 13:05 The book seems to be full of mystery and suspence. I think it contains two different but connected plots, a dystopian world and and bitter relations between Japan and North Korea in wake of a fateful incident. I am glad you enjoyed it. Thanks for this interesting review.
You're welcome.

Return to “Young Adult Fiction Books”