Official Review: The Promise: a perilous journey

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any young adult books.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Mindi
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 106
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mindi.html
Latest Review: The Promise by Hank Ellis

Official Review: The Promise: a perilous journey

Post by Mindi »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "The Promise: a perilous journey" by Hank Ellis.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

It is not every book that can portray the true essence of childhood adventure, but Hank Ellis' The Promise: A Perilous Journey does just that. It is a story that will keep both younger and older readers intrigued even though it appears to be written for a preteen level.

This story is about two brothers, Peter and Dave, who love nature and adventure. They explore a lot in the woods close to their home and discover a hidden cave which leads them to more extraordinary discoveries and adventures. Readers are kept on the edge of their seats while they wonder about the meaning of the boys' findings.

I would define this book as a type of magical realism. I enjoyed the mix of magical elements and real-life situations that were intertwined throughout the story. There appeared to be a slight coming-of-age theme and various moral life lessons to be learned. It has a weird mix of similarities to Bridge to Terabithia, Chronicles of Narnia and an Amazon video series called Gortimer Gibbon's Life on Normal Street. Those stories are all among my favorites which is why I was drawn into this story so much.

One of the aspects of this book that I loved was that it portrayed childhood adventure as it used to be, before cell phones and other technology. There was no indication that the story was set in the past, so it sets a good example of modern-day kids having true childhood experiences without the use of devices. The book also seemed to promote respect for parents and kindness to others. There was also some religious symbolism which is one of the reasons I detected some similarities to works by C.S. Lewis.

This book had very good grammar and appeared to be professionally edited. If there is anything negative to say, I can think of a few times that the brothers' exploring tended to drag out a bit and get a bit wordy. However, it may have been necessary to lead up to the extent of their discoveries. It definitely is not something that I will take off points for. It's just a note for those who may read and feel like the storyline is dragging at times. It really does all come together in the end.

I feel like the ending leaves enough questions for a sequel. However, it is also just enough balance of questions and answers for it to be the end, if that is what the author intends. If there is a sequel, I will definitely read it.

I am giving this book 4 out of 4 stars. While I noted a few imperfections, I was very intrigued by Ellis' writing, and the storyline was very interesting and appealing for all ages. It is a must-read for those with a love for the magic of childhood.

The Promise: a perilous journey
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Like Mindi's review? Post a comment saying so!
kandscreeley
Special Discussion Leader
Currently Reading: Believarexic
Bookshelf Size: 486
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kandscreeley.html
Latest Review: The Elf Revelation by Jordan David

Post by kandscreeley »

I like a balanced ending like that. Just enough questions that you want a sequel, but everything is still wrapped up enough not to have to be wondering. This one sounds quite interesting, and I'm glad you enjoyed it. Thanks!
A book is a dream you hold in your hands.
—Neil Gaiman
Tamorie Hargro
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading: Billy Summers
Bookshelf Size: 168
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-tamorie-hargro.html
Latest Review: Teardrops by Helen Burger
Reading Device: B083JVJQH4

Post by Tamorie Hargro »

Narnia and Bridge to Terabithia were also some of my favorites, and if this book is similar in style and lesson to those, then I wouldn't mind giving it a read. It seems very interesting and I'd like to see what they come across and experience as they explore. Thanks for this!
J.K. Rowling - Albus Dumbledore, Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban wrote:Happiness can be found even in the darkest of times, if one only remembers to turn on the light. 🔥
Jackie Holycross
Currently Reading: The 7 Experiment
Bookshelf Size: 306
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-teacherjh.html
Latest Review: 20 World Religions and Faith Practices by Robyn Lebron

Post by Jackie Holycross »

I love your phrase "magical realism". I think that is my favorite part of the Harry Potter series. It is done as if it really could be happening today.
Ginnamassa19
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 18
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ginnamassa19.html
Latest Review: The Reel Sisters by Michelle Cummings

Post by Ginnamassa19 »

Good writing, editing and magical realism? Sounds like a must-read! Thank you for writing this review, it was very helpful and now I kind of want to pick the book up myself :P
NL Hartje
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Book: Kushiel's Dart
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 385
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nl-hartje.html
Latest Review: Looking forward as the Journey continues by George Mills

Post by NL Hartje »

Man, I loved Bridge to Terabithia when I was young. I even did a diorama box about it :lol2:

You've captured my attention by likening it to so many favorites. I think I'll pick this one up for my son! Thanks for this great review!
“So the writer who breeds more words than he needs, is making a chore for the reader who reads.”
-Dr. Seuss
Ana-Maria-Diana
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 54
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ana-maria-diana.html
Latest Review: Serendipity Mystery: Diary of a Snoopy Cat by R.F. Kristi

Post by Ana-Maria-Diana »

It remind me of Harry Potter a little bit. It seems nice and I will enjoy reading it.
gali
Favorite Author: Agatha Christie
Currently Reading: The Suite Life
Bookshelf Size: 2287
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gali.html
Reading Device: B00I15SB16
Publishing Contest Votes: 0
fav_author_id: 2484

Post by gali »

A YA adventure following the quest of two adolescent brothers sounds like a fun read. Good editing, magical realism, and balanced ending further make this appealing. Too bad the story drags now and then. I am not the target audience, but I am glad you enjoyed it. Thank you for the review!
A retired Admin/Mod

Pronouns: She/Her

"In the case of good books, the point is not to see how many of them you can get through, but rather how many can get through to you." (Mortimer J. Adler)
Beatus
Currently Reading: Homicide
Bookshelf Size: 74
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-beatus.html
Latest Review: Zona: The Forbidden Land by Fred G. Baker

Post by Beatus »

....it portrayed childhood adventure as it used to be, before cell phones and other technology.
How I loved life during this time. Now it seems all adventures in life are in virtual reality. I can't wait to take my kids to my farm. Got to give them the experience. Candid review and a nice book.
Vickie Noel
In It Together VIP
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 86063">Are you afraid of the dark</a>
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 868
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-vickie-noel.html
Latest Review: Modern Day Cowboy by Nathaniel Sheft
Reading Device: B01C9JZEBO

Post by Vickie Noel »

A story about childhood without the cell phones and s social media sounds refreshing. Being similar to Chronicles of Narnia is a great reason why I'll read it. Thanks for the review.
Stop waiting for what you WANT, start working with what you HAVE. --- Seth Cain
Never be bullied into questioning your own credibility. --- Vickie Noel
Ferdinand_Otieno
Book of the Month Participant
Favorite Author: Victor Rose
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 1749
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ferdinand-otieno.html
Latest Review: Zona: The Forbidden Land by Fred G. Baker
fav_author_id: 78026

Post by Ferdinand_Otieno »

The Promise: a perilous journey by Hank Ellis is a young adult adventure fiction story that aims for magical realism and showing the adventures of teens without technology. The book has a free sample on Amazon Kindle and a superb OnlineBookClub review. I rated the book 4 out of 4 stars. Congrats @ArchwayPub on the BOTD.
Orithea
Favorite Author: Jonathan Stroud
Currently Reading: Catalina's Riddle
Bookshelf Size: 31
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-orithea.html
Latest Review: The Altitude Journals by David J Mauro
fav_author_id: 3854

Post by Orithea »

Adventures in nature are just my thing! And the hidden cave promised in your review and on the cover reminds me of those enormous underground cave systems in Vietnam that I read about in National Geographic some time ago...
Rather than read about it, I’d like to explore it myself ^^

I’m also really happy about the “childhood adventure without technology” bit. I hope my future kids will get to experience some of that without me having to move to the outback.
Thank you for a thorough and promising review!
Elizabeth Pass
Favorite Book: Dealing with Dragons (Enchanted Forest Chronicles, #1)
Currently Reading: Reign
Bookshelf Size: 126
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bb587.html
Latest Review: COVIDinners by Katie M Zeigler

Post by Elizabeth Pass »

This sounds like a very good book for young readers. There's magic and adventure but also good morals, respect, and clean fun. I especially like that the boys are brothers. Some of my best times were with my siblings, but often in books the emphasis is on friends.
Emy Katherine
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading: Strong Heart
Bookshelf Size: 430
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-emy-katherine.html
Latest Review: 9 Days of Piper Snow by Daniella Blechner
Reading Device: B07953N411

Post by Emy Katherine »

This story is about two brothers, Peter and Dave, who love nature and adventure. They explore a lot in the woods close to their home and discover a hidden cave which leads them to more extraordinary discoveries and adventures.
A well-written young adult novel filled with action, adventure, and magic! Also, it is well edited. I am glad you enjoyed it, but I will pass on this one as it is not my genre. Thank you for the great review! :techie-studyingbrown:
Scerakor
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 315
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-scerakor.html
Latest Review: Gaslighting & Narcissistic Abuse Recovery: by Don Barlow

Post by Scerakor »

I have a soft spot for children's books where adventures lead to magical places of discovery. The similaraities presented between this book and CS Lewis' work is an added bonus for lovers of that author.

Return to “Young Adult Fiction Books”