Official Review: Beyond the Fire by Dewayne A. Jackson

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any young adult books.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
KitabuKizuri
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 113
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kitabukizuri.html
Latest Review: Mysteries Of the First Instant by Daniel Friedmann

Re: Official Review: Beyond the Fire by Dewayne A. Jackson

Post by KitabuKizuri »

The review left me with the impression that these are three books in one. I like the idea of reading Christian fiction but if the characters are not as diverse as they are numerous it may prove to be a difficult read.
Cristina Chifane
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Book: The Magic Mountain
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 898
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cristina-chifane.html
Latest Review: The Fold by Dennis Lee
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by Cristina Chifane »

I will not be reading the book because of the rather predictable nature of the religious themes governing the plot. However, I appreciate the author for his efforts to send a message of peace and to enhance the role of faith for a "polarized and angry" world. Thanks for your review!
"The madness of writing is the antidote to true madness." (Hanif Kureishi)
Latest Review: The Fold by Dennis Lee
truebookaddict
Favorite Book: The Historian
Currently Reading: The Witching Hour
Bookshelf Size: 3837
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-truebookaddict.html
Reading Device: B00TSUGXKE

Post by truebookaddict »

I absolutely do not read Christian fiction so this one is clearly not for me. I'm glad that you mention that the Christian elements are the core of the story, as that could be an important element to some readers, whether positive or negative. It is impressive that there are so few errors. Thanks for your review!
“Even if she be not harmed, her heart may fail her in so much and so many horrors; and hereafter she may suffer--both in waking, from her nerves, and in sleep, from her dreams.”
― Bram Stoker, Dracula
mm_wavomba
Currently Reading: Twisted Threads
Bookshelf Size: 10

Post by mm_wavomba »

"a choice we make or the belief of someone else that will set our world on fire."
This is a book filled with christian jargon. I am not a fan of spiritual fiction so i don't think i would enjoy reading the book. I would recommend it to lovers of spiritual fiction. Nice review though
b4bykn1t
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by b4bykn1t »

Thanks for the thorough review. I read the sample and it was encouraging with its familial & community soul towards a literary breadth of boyish adventure. This is my first post and for me a good start with a Bible verse. I recommend this book to young & adult Christian readers of fiction alike.
Urooj Ali

Post by Urooj Ali »

I really have no problems with Christian fiction and culture. In the sample the very first thing was a bible verse. This is highly based on Christian beliefs. I am not a Christian and don't know much about Christianity. But I respect their culture and fiction. I am warmly thankful to you for your review.
DorcasToo
Currently Reading: Call Me Pomeroy
Bookshelf Size: 207
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-dorcastoo.html
Latest Review: Tidal Pools by Robert Marier

Post by DorcasToo »

I love Christian fiction. And your review is amazing. But I think this is too voluminous.
Bella_Lia
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 3
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bella-lia.html
Latest Review: Heartaches by H.M. Irwing

Post by Bella_Lia »

Thank you for this honest and Beautiful review. From what I have read, it sounds interesting though I don't think religious books are my thing. I'll be sure to recommend it to friends though.
eddix
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 98
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-eddix.html
Latest Review: Heartaches 3 by H.M. Irwing

Post by eddix »

Thanks for your honest and enlightening review. If you hadn't mentioned that it was part of a trilogy I would not have guessed it, because it did read like a stand-alone to me. And I enjoyed it, too! I think the author did a good job.
Kinkini
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 24
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kinkini.html
Latest Review: The Embalmer by Vincent Zandri

Post by Kinkini »

The religious overtone did not bother me. I read the sample as if its a story of one force/belief against the other. It is Christianity here, it could be any other religion. However, the very gripping storytelling compelled me to finish sampling and ask for more. I really liked the way the story shaped in the first few chapters. Your review is quite thorough and brings all relevant points on the table. Will read this book soon.
Regards,
Kinkini
A Bookworm
StephLock

Post by StephLock »

The following is my personal review of Dewayne A. Jackson’s first book of his trilogy “ Beyond the Fire.” I only read the free sample provided through Amazon so I can only comment and review the book to around chapter 3. Before starting my review, I must make a few points clear. I am not a religious person but I do accept that religion is a key cornerstone in the world’s social infrastructure regardless of country, culture or race. Therefore, I try to make my reviews of books neutral and open minded. I also like to score my books based on the category the book was written for. So, I will judge a book based on how I perceive this book enriching the category and for its entertainment value.

Beyond the Fire is a book set around the 17th to 19th century. The author never explicitly sets a date down for events but certain clues place the story around here. The reason why it is so broad is because of how the story is told. The beginning of the story is set in a town called Amity at Christmas time. A grandfather, Bill Cotton, is telling the origin story of the town to his grandchildren. Due to the context clue of arriving in a sleigh, I place the prologue of the story around 19th century. Since he is talking about a reasonably established town and he is not referring to himself or his parents in the story, I place the rest of the first 3 chapters in the 17th century.

I won’t spoil the book for anyone but the town of Amity was built on the belief of worshipping God and escaping from people who forced them to worship a goddess of the moon. Religion aside, I enjoyed the book and I am thinking about purchasing the rest of the book and the next two books to see how it ends. Beyond the Fire had a real folk story feel to it for me. It taught a lesson about worshipping false idols and the strength of belief without explicitly telling you. I found it very entertaining hence the 3 out of 4 stars. The one flaw I have is that you aren’t really sure who is supposed to be the main character. It switches from Josiah to Gaff for a few chapters so I assumed that Josiah had died and was very surprised that he was still a very active part of the story.
Eden Montemor

Post by Eden Montemor »

Beyond the Fire is one of the interesting book I read.And its giving me a time to think what am I without God ?And this book remind me always have faith with Dearest Jesus.I'm Born Again Christian so I love the way of the story flow.
Javany Silas
Currently Reading: Why Do We Quote?
Bookshelf Size: 276

Post by Javany Silas »

Beyond the Fire by Dewayne A. Jackson is among the few books that i have found meaningful in a long time. The concept of multiple stories in the same chapter kind of makes it my favorites. Am definitely delving into this one. Thanks for an informative review :)
Roggyrus
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 114
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-roggyrus.html
Latest Review: Chrome Mountain by Ben Schneider

Post by Roggyrus »

The novel narrates how Christians face trials in their lives in relation to their faith. In far-off Amity, these people have to fight for their own place in the sun. How their travails all came to pass is told in this inspiring book. Thank you for the comprehensive review.
jaliper
Currently Reading: The Healer
Bookshelf Size: 598

Post by jaliper »

Great review although I was confused too what you really feel about the book. But as I soon as I saw the book cover, I had no doubt that the book invokes certain feelings. Looking forward to giving this book a try. Ive been looking to reading something a little more serious and this one looks interesting.

Return to “Young Adult Fiction Books”