Official Review: Beyond the Fire by Dewayne A. Jackson

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any young adult books.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
samiam013
Favorite Book: The Altitude Journals
Currently Reading: The Lost Identity Casualties
Bookshelf Size: 272
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-samiam013.html
Latest Review: The Sword Swallower and a Chico Kid by Gary Robinson
Reading Device: B00HCNHDN0

Re: Official Review: Beyond the Fire by Dewayne A. Jackson

Post by samiam013 »

Based on the summary and your review I am actually interested in reading this one. I do enjoy reading how authors view religion and create stories based on those views. Thanks for the very in-depth review!
"Books give a soul to the universe, wings to the mind, flight to the imagination, and life to everything". (Plato) :reading-7:

Smiles are contagious! Infect someone today! :D
lavellan
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 60
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-lavellan.html
Latest Review: encoded by Richard Nedbal

Post by lavellan »

Thanks for your review! The heavy emphasis on Christianity is a little off-putting for me. The issues were changes in faith occur suddenly and major conflicts are overcome just through prayer lower my interest in the book. I am curious to learn about the struggles of the people living in Amity. The setting in the past is also unique.
Echo Haapala
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 59
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-echo-haapala.html
Latest Review: Poseidon's Eye by Trisha O'Keefe

Post by Echo Haapala »

While this type of book doesn’t seem like something I would be interested in, I did thoroughly enjoy your review. I think you included a lot of detail without giving anything away. Also, you had a lot of reasoning behind your rating. Great review!
bootsie0126+
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 285
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bootsie0126.html
Latest Review: The Reel Sisters by Michelle Cummings
Reading Device: B01GEW27DA

Post by bootsie0126+ »

Thanks for the review. I had mixed feelings about whether to read this book or not. I was leaning more in favor of reading after the sample pages but still did not make a commitment to read. After your thorough review, I am curious about the contents of the story. I enjoy a good inspirational book, especially one that is based on Christianity, but my interest is piqued on your take regarding the religious aspect of the book.
Sanju Lali
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading: Goodbye, Rudy Kazoody
Bookshelf Size: 445
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sanju-lali.html
Latest Review: The Unfakeable Code® by Tony Jeton Selimi
Reading Device: B00I15SB16

Post by Sanju Lali »

Happy to read this review about the book on lives of Christians living in Amity fifty years ago and especially intrigued by the hardship faced by the protagonist Bill Cotton while standing for protection of Amity from its enemies. Hope to read this book soon.
life is only knowing the unknown, we can do this by reading books easily- Online book club is a great place for this. This is what I believe.
Omeje24
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by Omeje24 »

Thank you for the wonderful review. Sometimes a book review speaks even more that the whole write-up. It was a fascinating and laudable work you have done.
Jslanning
Currently Reading: How to Hang a Witch
Bookshelf Size: 18
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jslanning.html
Latest Review: Final Notice by Van Fleisher

Post by Jslanning »

Goodness, this seems like a bit of a stretch for me. I was completely wowed by the sample, but your review has changed my mind a bit. I would like to know more about how Amity came about and protected itself and faith, however I feel there are too many Christian tones to the book. Thank you for your honest review.
Tcaudill
Currently Reading: Masterminders
Bookshelf Size: 44

Post by Tcaudill »

I don't usually read religious books but as I read the sample I found it very interesting. How people suffered for religion and how they overcome. I can't wait to read the rest.
CinWin
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 311
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cinwin.html
Latest Review: The Crystilleries of Echoland by Dew Pellucid

Post by CinWin »

Very concise review. I am not big on Christian books so I think I will leave this one to those that are. I did not pick up on the extent of that too much in the sample so thanks for the heads-up.
----"Life is like a box of chocolates. You never know what you're gonna get."----
Samantha Simoneau
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 240
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-samantha-simoneau.html
Latest Review: Dancing With Jesus by Allison Broughton
Reading Device: B00IKPYKWG

Post by Samantha Simoneau »

This I like:
"... Christianity is not a mere add-on to this book: it is its core."
But this, not so much:
"Characters experience instant and complete changes of heart rather than letting their new beliefs grow and gradually change them over time."
This can happen, of course, but a book that heavily employs it as a plot device would feel less believable to me. Thanks for the great review! I think I might still read this one.
Samantha Simoneau

“But upon the stage of life, while conscience claps, let the world hiss! On the contrary if conscience disapproves, the loudest applauses of the world are of little value."
~John Adams :greetings-clapyellow:
MonicaMcd
Favorite Author: Diana Gabaldon
Favorite Book: The Outlander Series
Currently Reading: Blood and Roses
Bookshelf Size: 51
fav_author_id: 2373

Post by MonicaMcd »

I am a Christian and like to read Christian fiction. It is not my favorite genre but I will give this book a go. I am not real sure about many characters in a story and trying to keep up with all of them. I don’t care for a trilogy under one cover but it was mentioned this is more like a section change in the story. Thanks for the review I will read this one. :tiphat:
Scerakor
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 315
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-scerakor.html
Latest Review: Gaslighting & Narcissistic Abuse Recovery: by Don Barlow

Post by Scerakor »

Although I'm not a big fan of the Christian fiction genre, books with an epic action plot discussing the realities of civil and foreign war are always interesting. I may have to see where this one goes.
Vickie Noel
In It Together VIP
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 86063">Are you afraid of the dark</a>
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 868
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-vickie-noel.html
Latest Review: Modern Day Cowboy by Nathaniel Sheft
Reading Device: B01C9JZEBO

Post by Vickie Noel »

I'm sort of wondering how this book gets listed as Young Adult because I don't get the hint in the slightest. Connecting the dots between past Amity Christian and the Stafford family might be fun for lovers of Christian fiction, but not for me; the plot sounds boring and its cheap transition using character conversions rather than real development completely levels out any interest I still had left. You do seem to have enjoyed yourself though, and that's the goal. Thanks for the review.
Stop waiting for what you WANT, start working with what you HAVE. --- Seth Cain
Never be bullied into questioning your own credibility. --- Vickie Noel
rave_2
Currently Reading: A Word so Fitly Spoken
Bookshelf Size: 149
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-rave-2.html
Latest Review: Julu by Jan Anderegg

Post by rave_2 »

Glad to hear that this book seems to be realistic! And that it's based on Christian beliefs. Wonderful review.
Just reading... :techie-studyingbrown: :techie-studyinggray:
Latest Review: Julu by Jan Anderegg
Cheryl12
Currently Reading: The Employee Millionaire - Personal Workbook
Bookshelf Size: 97
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cheryl12.html
Latest Review: Looking Glass Friends by E L Neve

Post by Cheryl12 »

She did not originate from Amity, therefore she was not enthused about the wonderful history of that country.
But for the coming Christmas her husband was persistent about returning to his home so his wife would get to know
his side of the family.
Caught up with the Cotton Family by a bad snow storm, she was informed about Amity. Also, about Bill Cotton
rough life and how this affected his family, friends and country. But when Bill explained about, God's divine intervention, Destry was
bewildered if the God she believed would communicate with people. She had doubts about his power.
In the book, "Beyond The Fire" by Dewayne A. Jackson, there is a lot to learn about how God saved this nation and helped these people to trust God a live.

CMcDermott

Return to “Young Adult Fiction Books”