Official Review: The Relik by Nathan J. Keller

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any young adult books.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Twigggy
Bookshelf Size: 0

Re: Official Review: The Relik by Nathan J. Keller

Post by Twigggy »

I will add The Relic by Nathan J Keller, to my list of books to read. I wondered what Jim remembered of his life before his accident and his value of life within this dystopian future. I am curious to know what happens with his escape from the library, how his life continues and ends.
Snowflake
Currently Reading: Adrift
Bookshelf Size: 288
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-snowflake.html
Latest Review: Don't Think Twice by Barbara Schoichet

Post by Snowflake »

Thanks for your review. It sounds like you really enjoyed this book. It is very refreshing to know that this his book doesn’t follow the standard romance-parental issue-enemy format of late. I can also understand wanting to know a bit more about this new religion as well. This one sounds really interesting.
peace starts with a smile...
bluesky5_
Favorite Book: Fifty Shades of Grey
Currently Reading: World, Incorporated
Bookshelf Size: 34
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bluesky5.html
Latest Review: Roadmap to the End of Days by Daniel Friedmann
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by bluesky5_ »

The Relik by Nathan J. Keller is a Young Adult book??? It should be Fiction and Fantasy. I am amazed that the story starts out as a typical and unfortunate accident, the main character, (skiing) and ends up 5000 years INTO the future, WOW, even though I am an avid fan of Sci-Fi, Horror books, this book fascinates me!! Gotta read it!
CrescentMoon
Currently Reading: Superhighway
Bookshelf Size: 87
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-crescentmoon.html
Latest Review: "Letorian Descendants- Casey Blane Series (Book 1)" by Jodi Ann Fahey

Post by CrescentMoon »

I really love the fact that this book has a relative lack of romance and competition. Usually young adult dystopian novels like this tend to be more cookie cutter and unoriginal in my opinion so this seems refreshingly unique. Great review!
Latest Review: "Letorian Descendants- Casey Blane Series (Book 1)" by Jodi Ann Fahey
MarisaRose
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 665">Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban</a>
Currently Reading: The Family Upstairs
Bookshelf Size: 435
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-marisarose.html
Latest Review: The Magic Shard by eelonqa K harris

Post by MarisaRose »

I don’t usually go for YA novels, but I’m shocked to hear that this one contains a fresh take on a dystopian future! It’s difficult to come up with something new related to this theme - so kudos to the author for that! I look forward to sampling this one.
todwyer01
Currently Reading: From the Fatherland with love
Bookshelf Size: 143
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-todwyer01.html

Post by todwyer01 »

When I read a sample of this, my first thought was that this felt like something out of an HG Wells novel. As I read further, this Wellian fiction morphed into a Vonnegut-Asimov escape from the future tale that combined so many elements artfully, that I must say, "Well done."
ccrews0408
Currently Reading: Illustrated Short Fiction of William H. Coles: 2000-2016
Bookshelf Size: 22
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ccrews0408.html
Latest Review: From Hill Town to Strieby by Margo Lee Williams

Post by ccrews0408 »

Great review! I'm not a huge fan of young adult novels due to the level at which the author must write, as stated in the review. It does seem like an excellent read for the target audience.
jjmainor
Currently Reading: The House Where Evil Dwells...Thirteen Tells
Bookshelf Size: 171
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jjmainor.html
Latest Review: Beyond Cloud Nine (Beyond Saga Book 1) by Greg Spry

Post by jjmainor »

Kendra M Parker wrote: 08 May 2018, 11:17
Libs_Books wrote: 08 May 2018, 01:00 Your review reminds me of how much I used to love this genre. Thank you for that - I may give this one a go.
It was so nice to read something that wasn’t so full of angst and love triangles. I hope you enjoy it if you get a chance to read it!
It is refreshing to hear of a book where the romance isn't dominating. The last few books I've read promised to belong in one genre, but delivered entirely in romance.

Your review does make the story sound interesting though. The idea that he has to sit there and answer questions about what is our time, it sounds like it could provide a bit of comic relief if the future characters are as confused by our culture as we would be of theirs.
Eye
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by Eye »

:reading-6: An expertly written review, pinpointing all that which is interesting about the book and also stating the obvious minor faults of the book. One would definitely want to read the book after reading such a wonderful review. Now I go back to reading...I would probably give the book a 5* rating after I am done reading :reading-6:
Scerakor
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 315
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-scerakor.html
Latest Review: Gaslighting & Narcissistic Abuse Recovery: by Don Barlow

Post by Scerakor »

The idea of a relic being referenced in a library in the future dystopian world sounds like an amazing concept for a story. It's just an added bonus then, that we get a sober look at the values of life as well.
elizab8
Currently Reading: Blood and Roses
Bookshelf Size: 51
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-elizab8.html
Latest Review: Ironbark Hill by Jennie Linnane

Post by elizab8 »

This story is rather interesting, you seldom read about frozen in time for 5000 years. That is an awful long time being somewhere other than elsewhere or dead after an avalanche. I think I would enjoy this fictional dystopia I am curious to know what happens to Jim being in that Relik Library with Sophia, her father, and Eme. It is a must read for me. Great Review.
Miss_BeckyG
Currently Reading: Behind Broken Glass Walls
Bookshelf Size: 1129
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-miss-beckyg.html
Latest Review: East Wind, 2nd edition by Jack Winnick

Post by Miss_BeckyG »

This distopian fiction sounds like one I would certainly enjoy. I am also curious to see the world through Jim's eyes as he is resurrected as a relik
“ Ego says, "Once everything falls into place, I'll feel peace." Spirit says "Find your peace, and then everything will fall into place." ”
Marianne Williamson
Haute_Coffee
Currently Reading: Pimp
Bookshelf Size: 368
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-haute-coffee.html
Latest Review: A Stone of Hope by Janet S. Kleinman

Post by Haute_Coffee »

This sounds like a unique take on the genre, as you said. Thanks for your review.
bootsie0126+
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 285
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bootsie0126.html
Latest Review: The Reel Sisters by Michelle Cummings
Reading Device: B01GEW27DA

Post by bootsie0126+ »

Thanks for the review. You added a lot of information in the summary that I missed from the brief summary on Amazon and reading the sample pages. I was already interested in reading this book from the title alone, but the additional details make this book even more interesting and I must read. I am finding myself reading more and more young/adult fiction books lately. So far I have not been disappointed with my selections. I'm sure this one will keep me interested until the end.
CheyenneR
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 21
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cheyenner.html
Latest Review: World, Incorporated by Tom Gariffo

Post by CheyenneR »

I'm very happy to hear that there is a lack of romance in this story. The one thing that usually puts me off of young adult novels is that they always feel the need to have a romance subplot.

Return to “Young Adult Fiction Books”