Official Review: The Relik by Nathan J. Keller

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any young adult books.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Theo Sanders
Currently Reading: The Prize
Bookshelf Size: 21

Re: Official Review: The Relik by Nathan J. Keller

Post by Theo Sanders »

This sounds like a rather unusual plot and quite different from other dystopian novels. A little philosophical as well, exploring the meaning and value of life. I'm not sure it's for me though, as I'm far from being a young adult, but will give it a try!
Kat Berg
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 5">Raven's Peak</a>
Currently Reading: James Baldwin
Bookshelf Size: 223
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kat-berg.html
Latest Review: Why Am I Here by Melvin Bell
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by Kat Berg »

As one who is quite tired of the current trend in YA dystopian novels, this certainly seems like a fresh take. It is a little like the movie "Encino Man" meets the classic book "Battlefield Earth," but with a smaller word count and aimed at young adults. I am looking forward to checking it out.
Paul78
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 38572">Who Told You That You Were Naked?</a>
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 78
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-paul78.html
Latest Review: Burn Zones by Jorge P. Newbery

Post by Paul78 »

It so happens that the most corrupt entities are also very religious. That baffles me. Do they use religion to fool the masses of a better future while they presently amass their ill-gotten wealth?
An investment in knowledge pays the best interest.
Benjamin Franklin
SaffraWhishart
Currently Reading: The Candle Room
Bookshelf Size: 25
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-saffrawhishart.html
Latest Review: Strong Heart by Charlie Sheldon

Post by SaffraWhishart »

Thank you so much for the great review. I've only read the first few chapters, but I was extremely impressed by the writing. It's the some of the most evocative, eloquent writing I've read in a long while. However, I was worried from reading the blurb about which direction the story would go. Without giving any plot twists away, you gave me enough information to know this will be a worthwhile read.

I'm looking forward to it!
Shas F
Currently Reading: Monsters in the Hallway
Bookshelf Size: 255
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-shas-f.html
Latest Review: The Engine Woman's Light by Laurel Anne Hill

Post by Shas F »

If through strange circumstances, you get a chance to live a second life in a totally different setting in the future where you would be placed on some sort of a pedestal, you would have comfort and relevance but limited
control of your existence, would you take that chance? But then, would you have a choice? Nathan J. Keller's The Relik is a dystopian novel about second chances, individual freedoms and the social evolution of humans. A young man Jim, who gets trapped in ice after a skiing accident, is "resurrected" by searchers from a futuristic advanced civilization thousands of years later. Jim and six others brought back to life like him are given the roles of living relics who would connect people to the values of the past. It's a strange, alienating word Jim wakes up to because it has different ideas on the value of life. I applaud Kendra M. Parker's review of The Relik as she pinpoints what makes it unique and interesting to readers of young adult novels, thus encouraging book lovers to give dystopia and futuristic fiction a chance. I'm already reading the book and looking forward to how Jim would face life as a poster boy for ancient humans' thoughts and values while grappling with his own existential issues in a new world. I give a toast to Mr. Keller for the first installment of what could be a successful book series. Also, thank you to Kendra M. Parker for giving the book the notice it deserves.
Saamy
Currently Reading: Salt of the Earth
Bookshelf Size: 6
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-saamy.html
Latest Review: Randy Love...at your service by Shay Carter

Post by Saamy »

Nice review, because of the way you have distinguished it from other YA dystopian as the story not being romantically driven. This makes me want to read it although the review wasn't thorough enough to make me really eager to read the book.
asaltares
Currently Reading: Illustrated Short Fiction of William H. Coles: 2000-2016
Bookshelf Size: 232

Post by asaltares »

An action and mystery young adult dystopian fiction with creative plot twists and turns that is not overloaded with romance is just the kind of book I've looking forward to read. Curious about this religion that controls the new world and about the reliks part in it. Congratulations.
dragonet07
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 23031">The Beauty of the Fall</a>
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 1718
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-dragonet07.html
Latest Review: Creating Literary Stories: A Fiction Writer's Guide by William H. Coles

Post by dragonet07 »

This book sounds fascinating, especially the ideas of the Library and the Reliks. I'm also curious about the emotional implications of the main character being separated from his family like this and any bonds he might form with other living Reliks. Thank you for the helpful review.
The more that you read,
The more things you will know.
The more that you learn,
The more places you'll go.
~Dr. Seuss
Jgideon
Favorite Book: Gates to Tangier
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 253
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jgideon.html
Latest Review: Sundays with Sister ssj by Anthony Happy LaRiccia

Post by Jgideon »

The idea of having people in the library to answer questions sounds interesting. The author's creativity is amazing. Thanks for the review.
Cristina Chifane
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Book: The Magic Mountain
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 898
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cristina-chifane.html
Latest Review: The Fold by Dennis Lee
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by Cristina Chifane »

A fresh take on the young adult dystopian fiction is definitely most welcomed. I am also drawn to the author's use of figurative language and the idea of people from a different century used as "reliks" or repositories of knowledge. I'm wondering if Jim will ever get back to his own world. Thanks for a wonderful review!
"The madness of writing is the antidote to true madness." (Hanif Kureishi)
Latest Review: The Fold by Dennis Lee
Debjani Ghosh
Favorite Book: The Lord Of The Rings
Currently Reading: The Evacuees
Bookshelf Size: 86
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-debjani-ghosh.html
Latest Review: Days of the Giants by RJ Petrella

Post by Debjani Ghosh »

The Relik by Nathan J. Keller seems to have an interesting premise and judging by your review, the author has built a refreshingly different and an engaging plot. Looking forward to reading this book. Thanks for the review!
Moddesser Elahi
Book of the Month Participant
Favorite Book: The Power of Now
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 85
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-moddesser-elahi.html
Latest Review: Then Comes The Flood by John Payne

Post by Moddesser Elahi »

I sampled the book on Amazon. An interesting and mysterious storyline written by Nathan J. Keller. The lead character Jim enters 7000 AD in a different kind of world altogether and has to deal with this new world. As mentioned in the review by Kendra M Parker, it caters to a young adult audience of around 13-14 years very well. Cheers :) :)
PANACEA - Please do not overvalue your body and mind! Just be life! :dance:
N_R
Favorite Author: James Mace
Currently Reading: Happy Healing
Bookshelf Size: 193
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-n-r.html
Latest Review: Kiwi Jacks by Hairy Jack
fav_author_id: 21042

Post by N_R »

This is young adult fiction, so I do not think that this is going to be a good fit for my reading tastes. Thanks for the great review!
truebookaddict
Favorite Book: The Historian
Currently Reading: The Witching Hour
Bookshelf Size: 3837
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-truebookaddict.html
Reading Device: B00TSUGXKE

Post by truebookaddict »

One of my biggest fears is for our world to be taken over by religion. This would probably be a horror read for me in that respect. I can't imagine waking up thousands of years later and being put on display, asked questions. I really think this sounds like an amazing story.
“Even if she be not harmed, her heart may fail her in so much and so many horrors; and hereafter she may suffer--both in waking, from her nerves, and in sleep, from her dreams.”
― Bram Stoker, Dracula
ReyvrexQuestor Reyes
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 5">Raven's Peak</a>
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 299
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-reyvrexquestor-reyes.html
Latest Review: Journey by Lindsay Schuster
Reading Device: 1400697484

Post by ReyvrexQuestor Reyes »

This novel is interesting, just the possibility of a cryonic specimen to be resurrected at the distant future and thereby be subjected to glaring differences in values. The pro-life outlook of the past centuries is replaced with a somewhat shallow regard for human life itself. How creative and imaginative the author could be, will be seen in the subsequent pages of the book, past the free sample. Thanks for the insightful review.
"In the beginning was the word.........John 1:1"
...To delineate the times that lovers miss,
...A thousand dreams can't beat a single kiss.

-reyvrex (Love Sonnet 107)

Return to “Young Adult Fiction Books”