Official Review: The Relik by Nathan J. Keller

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any young adult books.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
melissy370
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 124
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-melissy370.html
Latest Review: Home To Kentucky by Thomas A. McCoy
Reading Device: B00IKPYKWG

Re: Official Review: The Relik by Nathan J. Keller

Post by melissy370 »

Such a unique storyline. The idea that it is a good thing in killing yourself is dark but interesting at the same time. Sounds like the author has a message laced through his story. You have me snagged. Thanks for your review.
AmySmiles
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Author: Dana Peters
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 149
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-amysmiles.html
Latest Review: Sex Education for Adults Secrets to Amazing Sex and Happily Ever After Too by John Wilder
fav_author_id: 154082

Post by AmySmiles »

I am quite interested. Great review!
Anyone who says they have only one life to live must not know how to read a book.
–Author Unknown
Kendra M Parker
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 421
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kendra-m-parker.html
Latest Review: Requiem, Changing Times by RJ Parker
Reading Device: B00GDQDRPK

Post by Kendra M Parker »

AmySmiles wrote: 09 May 2018, 20:09 I am quite interested. Great review!
Thank you! I hope you pick this one up and enjoy the book.
Kendra M Parker
Currently Reading:

melissy370 wrote: 08 May 2018, 19:08 Such a unique storyline. The idea that it is a good thing in killing yourself is dark but interesting at the same time. Sounds like the author has a message laced through his story. You have me snagged. Thanks for your review.
It wasn’t so much about killing yourself, but that the deaths of people somehow validated a project. There is a scene in the book where one of the characters brags about how his home was built and that “no less than 30 people died on the project.” It shows how little the society values life at this point. Compared with our current philosophy of zero tolerance for injuries, it gave me something to think about as a reader.
Kendra M Parker
Currently Reading:

bnoy wrote: 08 May 2018, 18:49 Fantastic review! I'm so excited to read this book. As soon as I saw the title and name I had an idea of what to expect and your review just emphasised my interest. Thanks for a great review!
Thank you! I hope you enjoy this book as much as I did. It was well done, and I think the concept honored the title well.
Kendra M Parker
Currently Reading:

kfwilson6 wrote: 08 May 2018, 12:39 I love YA books and it is so great to find such a unique dystopian concept. I don't always love teen characters as they tend to be a bit immature and are written to make poor decisions which frustrate me as a reader. Great review. I'll have to save this one for later.
It is so true that now that I have left my teen years behind me, it is hard to appreciate a YA book anymore! The poor choices the teens tend to make can be so frustrating. Sometimes I just wish they would stop and think for an extra minute. Of course, I tend to think that about my kids, too, so maybe that’s just a sign of getting older! Still, I love a well done YA book, and this one certainly fit that criteria for me.
Kendra M Parker
Currently Reading:

teacherjh wrote: 08 May 2018, 14:35 Oh, well-written dystopian with religion and essentially time travel, I am so in. My to read shelf is breaking.
This site has definitely overstuffed my to read shelf, too! There are so many little gems out there that I want to read, and I’m constantly adding more than I complete.
Sunguy
Currently Reading: Winning the war on cancer
Bookshelf Size: 14

Post by Sunguy »

Honestly, your review is great. Your topic title really shaken me to read through. Very interesting
Kendra M Parker
Currently Reading:

Sunguy wrote: 16 May 2018, 14:07 Honestly, your review is great. Your topic title really shaken me to read through. Very interesting
Thank you. I hope you get a chance to read this book. It was excellent, and I’m glad I read this one. It is truly one of those gems that can be tough to find.
NL Hartje
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Book: Kushiel's Dart
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 385
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nl-hartje.html
Latest Review: Looking forward as the Journey continues by George Mills

Post by NL Hartje »

Kendra M Parker wrote: 04 May 2018, 07:24 In the novel, Jim goes snowboarding with his family and has a tragic accident where he gets trapped in ice. Five thousand years later, he is resurrected and put on display as a “Holy Relikwa,” or “Relik” for short, in what is called “the Library.”
Huh, this is a little bit like Encino Man, but from the man's point of view. I was going to add this to my "must read" list but after your inclusion that it might befit a younger audience, I think I will suggest it for my son.

Thank you for so many great details in this review!
“So the writer who breeds more words than he needs, is making a chore for the reader who reads.”
-Dr. Seuss
Kendra M Parker
Currently Reading:

NL Hartje wrote: 20 May 2018, 15:19
Kendra M Parker wrote: 04 May 2018, 07:24 In the novel, Jim goes snowboarding with his family and has a tragic accident where he gets trapped in ice. Five thousand years later, he is resurrected and put on display as a “Holy Relikwa,” or “Relik” for short, in what is called “the Library.”
Huh, this is a little bit like Encino Man, but from the man's point of view. I was going to add this to my "must read" list but after your inclusion that it might befit a younger audience, I think I will suggest it for my son.

Thank you for so many great details in this review!
I hadn’t thought about that, but there is a little bit of a comparison there. I’d love to know what your son thinks if he decides to read it!
Queenofdbooks4ever
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 68

Post by Queenofdbooks4ever »

Thanks for your review. I find myself getting a little burned out on dystopian teen novels, but this one sounds refreshingly different. I will have to add it to my list.
Kendra M Parker
Currently Reading:

Queenofdbooks4ever wrote: 26 May 2018, 20:31 Thanks for your review. I find myself getting a little burned out on dystopian teen novels, but this one sounds refreshingly different. I will have to add it to my list.
I felt the same way. In fact, I’m not even really sure why I picked up this one, but I was so impressed that it was different that it really reminded me of why I enjoyed this genre in the first place. It also brought back to me how much I enjoyed reading The Handmaiden's Tale a number of years ago. While this is very different from that, it was still a great book.
Dael Reader
Currently Reading: The Story of Arthur Truluv
Bookshelf Size: 53
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-dael-reader.html
Latest Review: Extraordinary Stories From Everyday People (and me) by Les Clark
Reading Device: 1400697484

Post by Dael Reader »

This sounds like a good one. I do have sometimes rolled my eyes through YA novels that focus too much on parental estrangement and teenage romance. It's good to know someone is still willing to write a novel without those prerequisites.
Ana-Maria-Diana
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 54
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ana-maria-diana.html
Latest Review: Serendipity Mystery: Diary of a Snoopy Cat by R.F. Kristi

Post by Ana-Maria-Diana »

I love dystopian novels and I will definitely read this one because I am writing a paper about this genre and I think it will be very useful.

Return to “Young Adult Fiction Books”