All the bright places

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any young adult books.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
ASB_1
Currently Reading: Andalusian in jerusalum
Bookshelf Size: 27
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-asb-1.html
Latest Review: Yesterday by Samyann

All the bright places

Post by ASB_1 »

I recently finished reading “All the bright places” by Jennifer Niven. The book is awesome and very well-written. I would definitely recommend it, also the writer is savage I’m gonna read “Holding up the universe” too written by the same author.
Tell me what you think, if you have read the book.
Simpfenderfer
Currently Reading: Alone at Midnight
Bookshelf Size: 450
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-simpfenderfer.html
Latest Review: Island Games by Caleb J. Boyer
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by Simpfenderfer »

Fantastic read, I really enjoyed this book, but it's so sad! I was a little nervous to read this one, because the topic of suicide can be so tricky to navigate, but I think it was handled really well in this case. Finch and Violet seem like such opposites at first, but the similarities become apparent pretty quickly, and I think that's why they're drawn to each other. It's unclear who really saves who in the clock tower, because they both have unresolved issues in their lives that they are unable to deal with on their own. I liked how Violet was so adamant about not wanting to have anything to do with Finch at first, and slowly came to the realization that she liked him. They were both really well written characters, I found myself routing for both of them. Left me so sad, but also oddly hopeful in the end? If that makes sense? I felt like Violet was going to be able to face the rest of her life in a more meaningful way than she would have before knowing Finch.
Haute_Coffee
Currently Reading: Pimp
Bookshelf Size: 368
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-haute-coffee.html
Latest Review: A Stone of Hope by Janet S. Kleinman
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by Haute_Coffee »

I read this book a couple of years ago and it was amazing. I loved it and it was a very emotional read. I’m currently reading Turtles All The Way Down by John Green which is about anxiety and thought spiraling. It’s really good also and it keeps making me think of Finch.
islasloan
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by islasloan »

all the bright places is amazing, I could not have said a bad word about it, however I then read holding up the universe and was very disappointed, something just didn't inspire me about it in the way all the bright places did. maybe my expectations were just very high....
Megan01
Currently Reading: The Lord of the Rings
Bookshelf Size: 51
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-megan01.html
Latest Review: Raven's Peak by Lincoln Cole

Post by Megan01 »

I read All the bright places some time ago and I have to say... It's amazing. It really touched me on a emotional level. Whereas I was scared that the author may badly approach the topics the book covers, I was reassured quickly. It's painfully real and the characters' development is perfectly handled. It may be hard to read for people who suffer from depression and relate too much, so I recommend they be careful. The relationship between Violet and Theodore heals them and it's ambiguous to know who really cures the other since it's a two-way relationship which evolves well as the story progresses.
Abigail R
Currently Reading: The Problem of Pain
Bookshelf Size: 69
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-abigail-r.html
Latest Review: My Prism Window by P. A. Schweizer

Post by Abigail R »

Personally, I did not like All the Bright Places. Suicide is such a tricky topic and I would love a story that shows what it looks like to get help, real help. I'd love for someone to write something that gives an example of the words someone uses to reach out. Or something that gives others the words to ask if their friends or family members if they are okay and guide them to receive the help they need.
For me, All the Bright Places failed hard at this. As someone who has dealt with mental health issues and depression, the book only left me feeling helpless. I would not recommend it to others who been through or are going through depression.
rainydaysc64
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 834
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-rainydaysc64.html
Latest Review: Isabella's Painting by Ellen Butler
Reading Device: B00OZTU156

Post by rainydaysc64 »

Abigail R wrote: 06 Aug 2018, 21:18 Personally, I did not like All the Bright Places. Suicide is such a tricky topic and I would love a story that shows what it looks like to get help, real help. I'd love for someone to write something that gives an example of the words someone uses to reach out. Or something that gives others the words to ask if their friends or family members if they are okay and guide them to receive the help they need.
For me, All the Bright Places failed hard at this. As someone who has dealt with mental health issues and depression, the book only left me feeling helpless. I would not recommend it to others who been through or are going through depression.
I'm glad I wasn't the only one who wasn't a big fan of it. I think part of it is exactly everything you just said, plus I didn't exactly like the way the parents handled things. Then again, I've only read this book once and want to try reading it again to see if there's any way I'll like it any better the second time around.
"I do believe something very magical can happen when you read a book."
- J.K. Rowling
Ran_ia
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 3

Post by Ran_ia »

This book is about a boy called Finch who meets a girl named violet on the ledge of a six stories bell tower both trying to end their lives , but somehow they managed to save each other's life.
The storyline was amazing but I wish that the ending wasn't that dark the author could support people with mental health issue to talk to others and try to figure out a way to live with it if she only made Finch talk to someone "professional" instead of running away and ending his life , but it's still the author's choice to choose the ending of her story which is kinda based on her personal experience , but overall the book was great and I highly recommend it for everyone who liked "the fault in our Stars" (I mean who didn't like it ;)) and for that I'll give this book a 4/5
Quotes :
" You are all the colors in one ,a full brightness"
"We do not remember days , we remember moments"
"The problem with people is they forget that most of the time it's the small things that count . Everyone is so busy waiting in the waiting place.if we stopped to remember that there's such a thing as a Purina tower and a view like this we'd all be happier"
Pamela Bianca Mas
Currently Reading: The Girl Who Drank the Moon
Bookshelf Size: 24
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-pamela-bianca-mas.html
Latest Review: How To Be Successful by M. Curtis McCoy
Reading Device: B00TREI0F2

Post by Pamela Bianca Mas »

I cried reading this book. :cry: but great things make people cry. I loved it! The adventures and the development of the characters of both Finch and Violet is remarkable. I think it set high expectations on the book that followed, though.
Pamela Bianca Mas
Shahalina
Currently Reading: Kalayla
Bookshelf Size: 2

Post by Shahalina »

Alll the bright places by Jennifer Niven is a very heart touching book. First i was scared because it contains suicide and issues related to emotional health and I personally do not go for books which contains them but due to the hype and some of friends did suggest me to read it so I decided to read it and I am glad that I did. This story was so beautifully written It was painful and captivating at same time. It was a rollercoaster. In the starting I was confused that where the story was going FINCH and VIOLET were so different in so many ways, yet they had something in common. The pain ND I liked how they tried to help each other. There chemistry and connection was very attaching. But the one thing I didn't like was the negligence of there parents but the overall the book was epic." Lovely" is such a lovely word
Last edited by Shahalina on 16 Sep 2020, 11:45, edited 1 time in total.
WynonnaRos
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by WynonnaRos »

I really enjoyed All The Bright Places. I think the way Finch's mental health decompensated to then lead to suicide was enthralling to read and felt authentic. I did find Finch's perspective to be more interesting because it was like being swirled around in someone's head that was unstable but wanting to stay present so bad.

I will say that Holding Up The Universe did not compare to All The Bright Places. I think it played into the tropes of the bullied sad teen getting the guy and didn't feel as though the author connected with the story.
Hzrachel
Favorite Book: Shield Down
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 8
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-hzrachel.html

Post by Hzrachel »

This book introduces us to the struggle of people who suffers from any kind of mental struggle. Finch's Character was amazing. I would love to live in the world designed by Theodore Finch.
Rukitejevbo02
Currently Reading: The Maid
Bookshelf Size: 35
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-rukitejevbo02.html
Latest Review: Faults by Orion Gregory

Post by Rukitejevbo02 »

ASB_1 wrote: 29 Apr 2018, 01:47 I recently finished reading “All the bright places” by Jennifer Niven. The book is awesome and very well-written. I would definitely recommend it, also the writer is savage I’m gonna read “Holding up the universe” too written by the same author.
Tell me what you think, if you have read the book.
I loved the book but the end made me really sad.
Sanah_N
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 2

Post by Sanah_N »

All the bright places by Jennifer Niven. This book lights up one of the problems that some people face and that mental health is as important as any other. The end really leave you broken. A book you can go back to anyday anytime. My all time favourite. This book is Lovely❤️
readlikejess
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 22
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-readlikejess.html
Latest Review: Marc Marci by Larry G. Goldsmith

Post by readlikejess »

It was really good. I love how Finch turned Violet around. But then, cry fest. 😭😭😭😭

Return to “Young Adult Fiction Books”