Official Review: Lies in the Shadows by Jessica Schaub

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any young adult books.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Haute_Coffee
Currently Reading: Pimp
Bookshelf Size: 368
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-haute-coffee.html
Latest Review: A Stone of Hope by Janet S. Kleinman
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Re: Official Review: Lies in the Shadows by Jessica Schaub

Post by Haute_Coffee »

Kat Berg wrote: 28 Apr 2018, 19:37 This actually sounds pretty interesting to me. I am so hesitant when it comes to "Christian" books, primarily because so very few are in the realm of LOR or Narnia. But this one sounds promising, and I love the questions it asks about women in leadership. At the very least it makes me want to read a sample to see if it grabs me. Thanks for the review.
The most interesting part for me was the women angle. It really questioned if women need to give up their “femininity” to be good leaders, or if they have to act more “like men” to be taken seriously. I didn’t expect that to be a theme at all.
Espie
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Book: Behind the Barbed Wire Fence
Currently Reading: Noah's Quest
Bookshelf Size: 118
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-espie.html
Latest Review: Why Me: Trash Collector, Mental Issues by Nikolay N Bey

Post by Espie »

Thank you for your refreshing review. It is great you found it to be relevant still even if it has the religious tinges, which may not initially appeal to some. I agree that we should not be judging a book based on first impressions; it helps and could even be beneficial to give things at least a bit of a chance.
"Life has many different chapters for us. One bad chapter doesn't mean it's the end of the book."-Unknown
"To err is human; to forgive, divine."-Alexander Pope
"Put GOD first; He'll bless your efforts with success."-Proverbs
trajoe1206
Currently Reading: The Witch of Endor: Vampires
Bookshelf Size: 47
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-trajoe1206.html
Latest Review: The Witch of Endor by RK Wheeler
Reading Device: B00IKPYKWG

Post by trajoe1206 »

Thanks for the great review. I am a bit of a Vampire fan and so may check this one out
ann5554+
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by ann5554+ »

this is interesting review I'm hesitant in reading but these has cheer me up
María Andrea Fernández Sepúlveda
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Author: Kristin Hannah
Favorite Book: The Nightingale
Currently Reading: Las chicas de Angel Creek
Bookshelf Size: 2397
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mar-a-andrea-fern-ndez-sep-lveda.html
Latest Review: You Say Goodbye by Keith Steinbaum
fav_author_id: 5604

Post by María Andrea Fernández Sepúlveda »

Haute_Coffee wrote: 23 Apr 2018, 13:20 I know seeing “Christian” in the book description will make some people shy away from this book. Don’t. There are many examples of truly excellent fantasy out there (Chronicles of Narnia, Lord of the Rings) that have Christian themes but can still be enjoyed by any audience. This is one of them. Whittled down to its bare bones, it is a story about good versus evil. It also explored themes such as the roles of men and women, fate versus free will, and sacrificing your personal gain for the greater good. In other words, don’t judge a book by its religion.
It seems like you read my mind! Honestly, I tend to dismiss this kind of books, not because I have any problem with Christianity but because I don´t enjoy getting lectured on my reading time. However, I think the topics you mention are quite universal, relatable and meaningful and I always enjoy a strong female in the characters so I´ll definitely consider reading it.
Thanks for a very honest review!
Marissa Michael
Currently Reading: Carrie
Bookshelf Size: 585
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-marissa-michael.html
Latest Review: Heartaches 3 by H.M. Irwing
2024 Reading Goal: 5
2024 Goal Completion: 60%

Post by Marissa Michael »

The good versus evil type of book is definitely my favourite. Im glad when you mentioned Narnia, and the LOTR. King Julius reminded me of Aragon son of Arathorn on how responsible king he is in taking every measure to protect his kingdom but Aragorn did what he should do before he even be declared to be a king to the people of Gondor. Your review is compelling and has made me want to check this out.
"Read in order to live." ~Gustave Flaubert
"Fiction reveals truths that reality obscures." ~Ralph Waldo Emerson
LV2R
Favorite Book: Crown of Crimson (The Afterlight Chronicles Book 1)
Currently Reading: Roan
Bookshelf Size: 345
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-lv2r.html
Latest Review: Zona: The Forbidden Land by Fred G. Baker

Post by LV2R »

I think that I would like to read this Christian fantasy novel because I like the "good versus evil" theme and when the good guys win. King Julius needs to protect his kingdom against the monsters and the evil ones attacking them. It will be interesting to read about how the king and others will win over evil.

Return to “Young Adult Fiction Books”