Official Review: Tales from Piney Grove by Bobby Morrison

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any young adult books.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
jennyd2003
Currently Reading: Kind Nepenthe
Bookshelf Size: 126
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jennyd2003.html
Latest Review: The Witch of Endor by RK Wheeler

Re: Official Review: Tales from Piney Grove by Bobby Morrison

Post by jennyd2003 »

Good review. Sounds like a good one. Shows a different way of life for some people. I grew up in a poor family so I relate very well.
chelhack
Favorite Book: My Trip To Adele
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 381
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-chelhack.html
Latest Review: E-M-P Honeymoon by Dorothy May Mercer
Reading Device: B00I15SB16

Post by chelhack »

This sounds like it may be a great book. The sample did draw me in and I will at some point finish reading it
Chelsea N. Hackett
bootsie0126+
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 285
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bootsie0126.html
Latest Review: The Reel Sisters by Michelle Cummings
Reading Device: B01GEW27DA

Post by bootsie0126+ »

Before reading your review, I was only mildly interested in reading this book. However, from your synopsis of this book, I definitely want to read. I am sorry that I missed the chance to enter the drawing for the free book but will obtain it for sure. Things that you mentioned about the characters, setting and circumstances surrounding them made me want to examine more. As I was reading, I could relate to a lot of things that you mentioned. For example, growing up poor, single family home, making the best out of what you had brought back memories.
Jade100+
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by Jade100+ »

Tales From Piney Grove by Bobby Morrison (reviewed by Jade)
I began reading I was honestly quite lost in the setting. I first thought the main character was a girl , but after a subtle behavioral interaction I found this was not the case. The subtle reveal was the first portion of the book that intrigued me. My interest was further piqued with the very succinct descriptions of life in the characters town. The most interesting part of the entire sample, at least in my opinion, was the author's intrinsic knowledge of southern behaviors and speech patterns. The author's intimate knowledge of southern mannerisms allows for a reader such as myself to under the story in a shorter format such as the sample
tamdlyte
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... ittersweet: Sanctuary (Part 1 of 3)</a>
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 295
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by tamdlyte »

I spent my summers in Oklahoma in a fairly poor neck of the woods whereas I now live in socal in a more affluent area. I totally "get" the whole spending the hot afternoons at the "local general store". And the whole "almost completely cut off from the rest of the world" feeling of those small town areas. When I was young, I didn't realize the implications of what I was seeing, didn't really realize the whole "city slicker" aspect of what I was seeing but I now recognize it for what it was and am a little sad. I would probably understand everything in this story. Sounds interesting...
dragonet07
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 23031">The Beauty of the Fall</a>
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 1718
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-dragonet07.html
Latest Review: Creating Literary Stories: A Fiction Writer's Guide by William H. Coles

Post by dragonet07 »

I love historical works, but this doesn't really sound like my kind of story. Still, it would be interesting to learn about a different part of the 60s, so it might still be worth a read. Thank you for the thorough review.
The more that you read,
The more things you will know.
The more that you learn,
The more places you'll go.
~Dr. Seuss
Ashiyya Tariq
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 235
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ashiyya-tariq.html
Latest Review: Deadly Waters: The Vietnam Naval War And Its Aftermath by Randy Miller
Reading Device: PDF

Post by Ashiyya Tariq »

Interesting story of the poverty stricken people of the south America. Good review.
Make your ideals high enough to inspire you and low enough to encourage you.

๐Ÿ“•๐Ÿ“–๐Ÿ“ฐ๐Ÿ““๐Ÿ“•
eddix
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 98
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-eddix.html
Latest Review: Heartaches 3 by H.M. Irwing

Post by eddix »

Thanks for your enlightening review. This sounds like a book of triumph - overcoming the odds! Very good for motivation. I think I'll read this one to get the details.
Cristina Chifane
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Book: The Magic Mountain
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 898
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cristina-chifane.html
Latest Review: The Fold by Dennis Lee

Post by Cristina Chifane »

I loved the fact that Bobby Morrison's tales show a different facet of 1960s America. I am glad the description of the small Piney Grove community is realistic and touches sensitive issues such as social and gender discrimination. Thanks for your review!
"The madness of writing is the antidote to true madness." (Hanif Kureishi)
Latest Review: The Fold by Dennis Lee
jaliper
Currently Reading: The Healer
Bookshelf Size: 598

Post by jaliper »

This book sounds like an emotional roller coaster. I do enjoy novels when they are in this type of form--true and raw emotions that can grip you weeks after finishing it. I am excited to read this.
Jovy Mos

Post by Jovy Mos »

:eusa-think: Dis story looks really touching and eye opening...if I was also in this same situation of choosing a city boy or a local one,in this generation,I would have gone 4 d city boy bt since they were happy and comfortable living in their small place,I would have gone 4 boys with the same upbringing and life with me...Bt they really wanted 2 taste another life they thought would be better...hmm..guess it turns out bad...nice review!!
Wilfred Makori Steki
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 13
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-wilfred-makori-steki.html
Latest Review: Heartaches 2 by H.M. Irwing

Post by Wilfred Makori Steki »

The review about the book gives a summary of the the great book that talks about the things that were happening by then but they are still happen now in the contemporary society. Discrimination was and still remains one of the greatest problem in humanity.
joshfee77
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 251
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-joshfee77.html
Latest Review: In Time Forever by Stefan Raicu

Post by joshfee77 »

Sounds like a very interesting historical fiction story about how the poor lived in the south in America. The way people adapt to survive can be fascinating. Nice review.
kulfred07

Post by kulfred07 »

This book sounds real. In a world of hardship where every toiling and drop of sweat counts to make a living; "Tales from piney grove" highlights just how much one needs to know in surviving the world we live in.
111Appleton111
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 19
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-111appleton111.html
Latest Review: Strong Heart by Charlie Sheldon

Post by 111Appleton111 »

Another book which I will gladly put in the section of windows to the past. It certainly gives another perspective of history, one that is not commonly mentioned nor talked about. A simple story amidst a world filled with rather extravagant and over the top storylines. To me it appears like a slice of life kind of book. I would gladly read it in my spare time, to just chill and bask in the story it holds. Thanks for the review.

Return to โ€œYoung Adult Fiction Booksโ€