Official Review: Tales from Piney Grove by Bobby Morrison

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any young adult books.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Marissa Michael
Currently Reading: Carrie
Bookshelf Size: 585
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-marissa-michael.html
Latest Review: Heartaches 3 by H.M. Irwing
2024 Reading Goal: 5
2024 Goal Completion: 60%

Re: Official Review: Tales from Piney Grove by Bobby Morrison

Post by Marissa Michael »

This will be a beneficial read to me. I would like to at least have some glimpse of what America was look like in 1960s. I don't blame the girls for their choice in 60s because most girls see marriage as the only option to change their life whereas boys they many many options I.e. being involved in military.
"Read in order to live." ~Gustave Flaubert
"Fiction reveals truths that reality obscures." ~Ralph Waldo Emerson
Surabhi Rani
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading: Demonslayer
Bookshelf Size: 1901
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-surabhi-rani.html
Latest Review: How To Decorate Cookies With Your Kids in an Afternoon by Micah Rhodes
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by Surabhi Rani »

'Official Review: Tales from Piney Grove by Bobby Morrison', has a very straightforward beginning! It provides enough details, to give the readers, a chance to appreciate the book!
ReyvrexQuestor Reyes
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 5">Raven's Peak</a>
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 299
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-reyvrexquestor-reyes.html
Latest Review: Journey by Lindsay Schuster
Reading Device: 1400697484

Post by ReyvrexQuestor Reyes »

A small-town affair, with the townspeople all on watch of each other. This is still, basically, a tale of common, everyday lives of poor folks, and the overbearing landed rich, interacting with each other. The author is able to give a really true-to-life account of the struggles and little triumphs of everyday living. We could all relate to the experiences related herein. Thanks for the splendid review.
"In the beginning was the word.........John 1:1"
...To delineate the times that lovers miss,
...A thousand dreams can't beat a single kiss.

-reyvrex (Love Sonnet 107)
ReyvrexQuestor Reyes
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 5">Raven's Peak</a>
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 299
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-reyvrexquestor-reyes.html
Latest Review: Journey by Lindsay Schuster
Reading Device: 1400697484

Post by ReyvrexQuestor Reyes »

A small-town affair, with the townspeople all on watch of each other. This is still, basically, a tale of common, everyday lives of poor folks, and the overbearing landed rich, interacting with each other. The author is able to give a really true-to-life account of the struggles and little triumphs of everyday living. We could all relate to the experiences related herein. Thanks for the splendid review.
"In the beginning was the word.........John 1:1"
...To delineate the times that lovers miss,
...A thousand dreams can't beat a single kiss.

-reyvrex (Love Sonnet 107)
kemp1kor
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 155
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kemp1kor.html
Latest Review: Temptation Trials Revolution by B. Truly
Reading Device: B00GNKRFEA

Post by kemp1kor »

Sounds like a great book for anyone who likes learning about how people may have lived in the not-so-distant past. Finding ways to live a happy life despite poverty would seem difficult for me, but it’s a good way to live. Such high praise of a book is unusual, so maybe I’ll read it sometime.
Vickie Noel
In It Together VIP
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 86063">Are you afraid of the dark</a>
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 868
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-vickie-noel.html
Latest Review: Modern Day Cowboy by Nathaniel Sheft
Reading Device: B01C9JZEBO

Post by Vickie Noel »

Thanks for the review. I quite enjoy historical fiction, but this one doesn't strike a chord with me. The plot sounds too simple and ordinary for me, especially because I don't find myself thinking much about the:60s to require added information on their general lifestyle. I may be interested in it if the writing style is rich in tone and color as that usually stimulates bias towards any book as far as I'm concerned. But till I actually check it out, I'll have to pass on it for now.
Stop waiting for what you WANT, start working with what you HAVE. --- Seth Cain
Never be bullied into questioning your own credibility. --- Vickie Noel
Mercelle
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 10262">The Wisdom and Peace of the Teachings of the Tao Te Ching</a>
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 204
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mercelle.html
Latest Review: The Future of Finance and Money by K. Braeden Anderson

Post by Mercelle »

What a moving review. I like that this book highlights the state of the poverty-stricken south in the 1960's, something that hadn't crossed my mind. I, however, admire the characters' resilience and that inspires me to work harder.
"The minimum requirement for a dream is a safe place to lay your head."
~OluTimehin Adegbeye
simplymica26
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 18
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-simplymica26.html
Latest Review: Devilish by Tricia Barr

Post by simplymica26 »

Interesting! Though not my cup of tea, your review gives the feeling of worthy to read. Definitely added to my to read list. Thank you for an honest review and congratulations!
nikkyteewhy
Favorite Author: James Patterson
Currently Reading: Dues
Bookshelf Size: 122
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nikkyteewhy.html
Latest Review: Gringo by Dan "Tito" Davis
fav_author_id: 3251

Post by nikkyteewhy »

A story about the poor people in the south. These people, despite their poverty did not feel sorry for themselves. They made the best of their situations. It was a pity that the males in this community had more chances to get out of the poverty than the females. Anyway, this sounds like a sad book I would not want to read. Thanks for the review
Raju Chacko
Currently Reading: What Makes America Great
Bookshelf Size: 34
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-raju-chacko.html
Latest Review: The Biblical Clock by Daniel Friedmann and Dania Sheldon

Post by Raju Chacko »

I only got to read the book's Prelude (sample) before coming to this review, but despite reading just the sample, I am able to readily agree with the Reviewer that this is a beautiful book - that's the impression I got from the Prelude! The author's (i.e. Bobby Morrison's) writing style is nearly impeccable - graceful, witty and nicely-paced. As the Reviewer mentions, the book makes you want to read it all over again if you have the time!! Although I didn't get the opportunity to read the full book, I believe the Reviewer is factually correct. Thanks for writing a very useful review!
Quinto
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 704
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-quinto.html
Latest Review: The Longfellah's Son: An Almost True Irish Story by Michael Cassidy

Post by Quinto »

This a break from the usual tales about the South in the 60s. It's interesting to read about the city slickers and their preying on farm girls and how the people were generally contented despite their poverty. Thanks for a wonderful review.
truebookaddict
Favorite Book: The Historian
Currently Reading: Children of the Dark
Bookshelf Size: 3838
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-truebookaddict.html
Reading Device: B00TSUGXKE

Post by truebookaddict »

This definitely sounds like an interesting history of what went on in the lives of sharecroppers. You're right. We do have a skewed view of history. That's why books like this are so important. Thanks for your insightful review!
“Even if she be not harmed, her heart may fail her in so much and so many horrors; and hereafter she may suffer--both in waking, from her nerves, and in sleep, from her dreams.”
― Bram Stoker, Dracula
MORRIS KINGS
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by MORRIS KINGS »

Re: Official Review: Tales from Piney Grove by Bobby Morrisson
The book gives a different version of the 60’s that most people do not know of. In a rural setting from a little boy’s perspective bringing out the aspect of religion and history vividly. I found it to be dynamic from the normal 60’s city life that most people know and gives an opportunity to read about challenges and perseptions the poor overcame in a not so urban setting. It is an interesting piece that will give you that other version of the back in the 60’s.
osayuwamen6
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 30
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-osayuwamen6.html
Latest Review: Heartaches 2 by H.M. Irwing

Post by osayuwamen6 »

Re:Official Review: Tales from piney Grove by Bobby Morrison
By Osagie Osayuwamen

This book shows a clear view of what the 1960's looked like and how people survived despite the hardship,I like to read books about the South. It's an interesting book and this part caught my attention " Instead they learned how to have fun within their means " they actually made the best of the situation. The writer gave an admirable review.
aramotshela
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by aramotshela »

I enjoyed the sample. The writing flowed and the story is very realistic.
Although it is written from the past it is relevant today. I recommend it as a read.

Return to “Young Adult Fiction Books”