Thirteen Reasons Why- Jay Asher...So anyone else read that b

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any young adult books.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.

did this book really get across the point that suicide isn't the answer?

yes it did
52%
a little, but not really
48%

Total votes: 102

GabbiV
Currently Reading: 50 Masterpieces you have to read before you die, vol 2
Bookshelf Size: 345
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gabbiv.html
Latest Review: Of Illusions and Ink Spills by Divya Hirani
Reading Device: B00KC6I06S

Re: Thirteen Reasons Why- Jay Asher...So anyone else read that b

Post by GabbiV »

OK so I know that she assigns blame to specific people for her suicide, but going through the book for the first time as a depressed individual, it was weird for me that she killed herself because of other people. I'm not saying what was done to her wasn't cause for extreme pain, there were some truly horrible actions done to her. It's just that in my experience, suicidal ideations often come from within, so there probably was part of her that was already depressed prior to those thirteen reasons.
holsam_87
Currently Reading: The Unbound Soul
Bookshelf Size: 1691
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-holsam-87.html
Latest Review: Herai by Aaron D Key
Reading Device: B00IKPYKWG

Post by holsam_87 »

I have read the book and seen the series on Netflix. It was definitely odd to me that Hannah would kill herself because of the actions of other people, but it is easy to see that she was already having a tough time from moving to somewhere new and not fitting in. As someone, that deals with depression on a regular basis I think that she went through some very odd motives, but that is just my perception since my story isn't hers and vice versa.
Samantha Holtsclaw

“We’ve all got both light and dark inside us. What matters is the part we choose to act on. That’s who we really are.”

—J. K. Rowling, Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix
Latest Review: Herai by Aaron D Key
Shengyeol loves you
Currently Reading: And Then I Met Margaret
Bookshelf Size: 13

Post by Shengyeol loves you »

Suicide is not the answer if you are depressed. I don't know what to feel after reading this. I feel like I'm in Hannah's shoes. This book will help everyone who is suffering from depression to be open to everyone. Not only to be open to everyone they love but also to themeselves. Before you commit suicide,think first your love ones who will suffer from what you did. This books will remind us that we need to help each other before its not too late.
TME888
Favorite Book: Lasher
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 95
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-tme888.html
Latest Review: Who Told You That You Were Naked? by William Combs

Post by TME888 »

This sounds like a book I would very much like to read...deep topic and sensitive material. I read the other posts and it convinced me to check this out.
mel33melanie
Currently Reading: Solaris Seethes
Bookshelf Size: 482

Post by mel33melanie »

I love this book! It provides a very real scenario that is extremely relatable. Also, the tv show made after it is also great.
Bianka Walter
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Book: The Old Man and the Sea
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 368
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bianka-walter.html
Latest Review: Thir13en by Keegan Nielsen
Reading Device: B06XD5YCKX

Post by Bianka Walter »

Personally, I really didn't enjoy the book. It left me feeling sad for what Hannah went through, but angry that she left such a wake of devastation for the people that really loved her. I cannot empathize with people that turn to suicide, and maybe that's why this book left me feeling a bit indifferent.
You can find magic wherever you look. Sit back and relax, all you need is a book.
- Dr. Seuss
BriennaiJ
Currently Reading: Island Games
Bookshelf Size: 42
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-briennaij.html
Latest Review: If Life Stinks, Get Your Head Outta Your But's by Mark L. Wdowiak

Post by BriennaiJ »

I read the book a while ago and I never felt the need to watch the series. I have a very unpopular opinion about it, but I thought that Hannah was rather selfish. Some of the people who hurt her deserved to have a tape made about them and the guilt of someone's death on their consciences. However, some people didn't. I don't know what happened in the TV show, but I always thought in the book, "What if Hannah causes someone to kill themselves from the guilt that they didn't necessarily deserve?" I understand that she wasn't thinking about others when she did it, only about herself and her inner pain. But I always thought of it as being wrong. I think that if I had received a tape, I probably would have taken the tapes out of the people who didn't really deserve it and only passed on the tapes of those who had really done something.
Jackie Holycross
Currently Reading: The 7 Experiment
Bookshelf Size: 306
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-teacherjh.html
Latest Review: 20 World Religions and Faith Practices by Robyn Lebron

Post by Jackie Holycross »

I read the book a few years ago before it hit Netflix. I found it emotional and believable. I wanted to rush through parts of the plot to get to the next tape. I think it puts a tough subject into the public eye.
cthulhu_96
Currently Reading: Outlander
Bookshelf Size: 12

Post by cthulhu_96 »

I’ve read this book quite a few times, and every time I read it, it hits a sore spot for me. This book was written very well, but I personally think it glorifies suicide. It shows that when you kill yourself people realize how beautiful your life was and that your reasonings behind it were good reasons to do it.
Monet_va
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 49
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-monet-va.html
Latest Review: Cowboys Don't Fly by John Steed

Post by Monet_va »

I did not like this book at all. Especially now that it's a TV series with two seasons, I worry about what it's showing younger teens about dealing with difficult life scenarios revolving around highschool
Cross game
Currently Reading: It
Bookshelf Size: 19
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cross-game.html
Latest Review: The Adults in the Room by Jeffrey D. Mechling

Post by Cross game »

I loved the way Jay Asher wrote this book . This book was written in such a simple language yet it was explained so beautifully. I highly recommend this book . It's just so interesting and I am normally the person who just cannot read for a long period of time but I was just not able to control myself. I kept on flipping pages .
Julianna
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 77
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-julianna.html
Latest Review: The Land of Sunshine and Hell by Maxene Raices

Post by Julianna »

I felt this book was well thought out. While I don’t think that suicide is the answer, it happens on an everyday basis. In this novel you get to hear what your words and actions mean to someone else. I like how the tape was passed from person to person. The overall feel of the book was sad, but the moral of the novel hit home hard.
Ci ci
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by Ci ci »

I had the book for a little while before I actually read it, because I didn't think it was for me until my best friend tried to kill herself, that was freshman year, and it's been hard for both of us. But she and the school librarian told me that this is a good book to read of you have wanted to or have tried. I thought it was stupid at first because I want the one who tried to kill myself, so I didn't read until I got bored and told myself that I would finally read that book. Let's just say I finished it within the day.
1_Sne_haa_1

Post by 1_Sne_haa_1 »

13 reasons why book as well as series set an example for school n high school as well as for students for how to keep safe n educate our students .raging n small little or big things can hurt student . Suicide is not an option though we also need to think of u r parents ..n what if our parents only doesn't hear our sound n many other things . Blahh blahh !!!!!
victoriac4
Currently Reading:
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-victoriac4.html
Latest Review: Perfection and Other Illusive Things by J Mercer

Post by victoriac4 »

When I read the book I literally could not put it down. It was hard to read about a reality that is so true for so many people, but it was super informative. It shows that suicide affects so many more people than you would think in the moment, but it also shows everything that happens in every day life that could really hurt someone that we don't even think about.

Return to “Young Adult Fiction Books”