Thirteen Reasons Why- Jay Asher...So anyone else read that b

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any young adult books.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.

did this book really get across the point that suicide isn't the answer?

yes it did
52%
a little, but not really
48%

Total votes: 102

EquusAmor
Bookshelf Size: 0

Thirteen Reasons Why- Jay Asher...So anyone else read that b

Post by EquusAmor »

:shock: wow so i just finished reading Thirteen Reasons Why by Jay Asher and it was intense. It depressed me just reading Hannah's story, but it was also one of the best books I have ever read. I wanna know other people's views on the book. I think they should make a movie out of it, but idk if that would be to intrnse or not. any I wanna know what you all think.
iamobama

Post by iamobama »

Why only two people vote this? :?:
Perrywinkle47

Post by Perrywinkle47 »

Haven't read the book.
arayhenson
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-arayhenson.html

Post by arayhenson »

I personally really enjoyed this book. It became one of my favorites quickly. For me it really focused on the fact that people don't take into mind, what they say hurts. It was a very eye-opening book for me.
JenniferOoley

Post by JenniferOoley »

I read this book within an hour. I get it that peer pressure is the issue and that's why all these reasons of suicide existed .... but reality is that suicide is a quiet affair. I understand the author's point in that other people should know the affect they have on a person's life --- but I found little of these reasons to be reasons for suicide. I think that suicide is already within one's mind and to make the point the author could have been more blatant about suggesting how events can push someone overboard. Suicide comes at ages, not just teens... I suppose that is what frustrated me the most. It is a good book for young adults, however, there is not major point in the book that really, strongly suggests that what happens in high school is not worth suicide... that's what is missing from this book.
Kalamazoo
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kalamazoo.html

Post by Kalamazoo »

I loved the book. One of my favorites in the past few years. I thought the book read like a mystery, and I enjoyed the unfolding of the plot, finding out how everyone played a part in Hannah's painful life. I didn't get the feeling that the book was trying to prove a point or make people feel a certain way. I read the book a couple years ago and I still think about it, but my thoughts aren't geared toward who was to blame or how suicide was portrayed. What I took away from the book is how events and circumstances affect people and how people are connected in large and small ways.
meliare11
Favorite Author: Colleen Hoover
Favorite Book: Hopeless
Currently Reading: 3
fav_author_id: 3542

Post by meliare11 »

Pretty good book. Easy and fast read. The perspective of the book was interesting. Suicide is a tense topic for most and this book was based on teen suicide. A little dark for most people. The author did an excellent job portraying the teen characters in her story and the build up was anticipating. I heard of this book on a forum about good teen books and decided to give it a try. I wasn't disappointed. It pulled some heart strings.
NyanCat2000

Post by NyanCat2000 »

Many people have reccomended this book to me. I think I will actually consider reading it, regardless weather it's "dark".
A good book, is a good book! I can't wait to see how it unfolds ~

-- 18 Nov 2013, 21:52 --

Many people have recommended this book to me. I think I will actually consider reading it, regardless weather it's "dark".
A good book, is a good book! I can't wait to see how it unfolds ~
15foleyr
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-15foleyr.html

Post by 15foleyr »

Just finished reading this! I thought it was not only entertaining, but thought-provoking as well. Dark, yes. Unable to relate?, no! Suicide is a really heavy topic, and a lot of people place this kind of taboo on it (kinda thinking of the Communications class and its inability to discuss the topic of suicide). Anyway, I think the book did exactly what it was meant to do. Jay Asher wrote a novel, not a persuasive essay on why suicide is wrong. Anyone who reads this book should get the feeling that it was a BAD decision on Hannah's part to kill herself. Hell, even Hannah knew it was the wrong decision before she even took the pills. What I got out of it: be mindful of everything you do and say. And although you may not be able to control everything, you never know what kind of an effect you might have. Spread the Love <3
S dot Lennon
Favorite Author: Stephen King
Currently Reading: My current book theme is banned books
Bookshelf Size: 21
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-s-dot-lennon.html
Latest Review: "Whispered Secrets Whispered Prayers" by Donna Mack
fav_author_id: 2376

Post by S dot Lennon »

I read this book last year and I must say that I really enjoyed it. The book moved well and I liked that it was unpredictable. The idea of sending a message to all the people that contributed to where you were mentally is depressing and accusatory but the narrative made it clear how depressed Hannah was. I also thought it was interesting that she decided to force each person to pass on the story knowing they were airing their own dirty laundry as well. Suicide is a heavy topic and I thought Jay Asher handled the topic in a very powerful and moving way. I have recommended this book to friends of mine, both parents and students, because it reflects the society we live in right now. Bullying has gotten out of hand and too many people have taken their lives because of it. I'm all for anything that will make people think twice about how their actions affect others and I think this book in many instances might do that.
Latest Review: "Whispered Secrets Whispered Prayers" by Donna Mack
Perfectly Awkward
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-perfectly-awkward.html

Post by Perfectly Awkward »

I read this book twice. The second time I read it in a day. It really spoke
To me. It is such a good book, and is so greatly written.
emergirl
Favorite Book: To Kill A Mocking Bird
Currently Reading: Sisterhood Everlasting

Post by emergirl »

One of my favorites and very thought provoking. I thought the idea of the novel was very creative. Very often do I read a young adult fiction novel and think so much about my own life. I thought it was a very well done novel and all teens should read it at least once. The message the book leaves with readers is very important. To be constantly aware of how people are acting around you and how saying one little thing can affect their entire life..

I give this book a 5 thumbs up<3
augustblack216
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-augustblack216.html

Post by augustblack216 »

I read this book about a year ago but Hannah's story sticks out in my mind. So sad, but very well thought out. I would recommend this book. While it wasn't the best I have ever read, it is defiantly worth reading.
NekrotikKannibal
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nekrotikkannibal.html

Post by NekrotikKannibal »

I bought the book on a whim while I was at discount store about a year ago with my boyfriend. I devoured the book in a couple of days. It was probably one of the best YA books I've ever read (along with Looking for Alaska by John Green). Frankly, the book hurt to read in a few places. I think it's probably because I could relate so strongly to Hannah (being as I have suffered from depression for the last 14 years and have attempted suicide several times in the past) that the book resonated so strongly with me. By the Time You Read This I'll be Dead is another good book similar to Thirteen Reasons Why.
Lhall22
Favorite Author: Sue Grafton
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-lhall22.html
fav_author_id: 3282

Post by Lhall22 »

I loved this book. It's really emotional and for me, it kind of hits a sore spot to be honest, because I lost my best friend to suicide. but even so, it still is a great book and I recommend it.

Return to “Young Adult Fiction Books”