Thirteen Reasons Why- Jay Asher...So anyone else read that b

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any young adult books.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.

did this book really get across the point that suicide isn't the answer?

yes it did
52%
a little, but not really
48%

Total votes: 102

Sarah_Khan
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 3700">Gone With the Wind</a>
Currently Reading: Circe
Bookshelf Size: 336
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sarah-khan.html
Latest Review: The Formidable King by Alyssa J. Montgomery

Re: Thirteen Reasons Why- Jay Asher...So anyone else read th

Post by Sarah_Khan »

Although I loved this book I have to admit I didn't really think the author got that message across. I think that the author felt like it was more important to tell people to think twice before saying something mean because you never know how it will impact someone, instead of telling people that suicide isn't the answer. The author was more about prevention instead of a "cure".
Sarah Penney
Favorite Author: Tom Clancy
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 34
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sarah-penney.html
Latest Review: The Immigrant's Lament by Mois benarroch
fav_author_id: 7289

Post by Sarah Penney »

Sarah_Khan wrote:Although I loved this book I have to admit I didn't really think the author got that message across. I think that the author felt like it was more important to tell people to think twice before saying something mean because you never know how it will impact someone, instead of telling people that suicide isn't the answer. The author was more about prevention instead of a "cure".
I agree completely. I also loved this book, but as Sarah_Khan said, I felt like the author was more focusing on the importance of prevention and being aware of the effects of your words on others. I think it would've been nice if the author had focused a little more on the importance of the idea that everyone is important, but again, I think the book was amazing anyway.
"My best friend is a person who will give me a book I have not read." -Abraham Lincoln
Rakshita
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by Rakshita »

Okay so first of all don't get me wrong but this novel was like a drug to me.... I started reading it and I just wasn't able to leave it... it was just full of suspense which made me complete the either novel within a few hours... it kept me wondering what will happen next after reading every tape. Wonderful execution and definitely GENIUS WAY OF PRESENTING IT. Even if I found the cover and name a bit scary but still loved it..
candcandy19
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 4
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-candcandy19.html

Post by candcandy19 »

I read Thirteen Reasons Why quite a while ago but can still remember bits and it is still one of my favourites even though I found it sad. I liked the ending, and after every tape I was wondering what would happen next.
jenn17
Currently Reading: Lady Midnight
Bookshelf Size: 36
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jenn17.html

Post by jenn17 »

S dot Lennon wrote:I read this book last year and I must say that I really enjoyed it. The book moved well and I liked that it was unpredictable. The idea of sending a message to all the people that contributed to where you were mentally is depressing and accusatory but the narrative made it clear how depressed Hannah was. I also thought it was interesting that she decided to force each person to pass on the story knowing they were airing their own dirty laundry as well. Suicide is a heavy topic and I thought Jay Asher handled the topic in a very powerful and moving way. I have recommended this book to friends of mine, both parents and students, because it reflects the society we live in right now. Bullying has gotten out of hand and too many people have taken their lives because of it. I'm all for anything that will make people think twice about how their actions affect others and I think this book in many instances might do that.
This was a really great book. Another book I'd have to recommend if you liked this one is I Was Here by Gayle Forman.
DarthMom25
Currently Reading: Deadly Design
Bookshelf Size: 177
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-darthmom25.html
Reading Device: B00IKPYKWG
2024 Reading Goal: 364
2024 Goal Completion: 0%

Post by DarthMom25 »

I read this book at a very tough time in my life when I was actively considering suicide, extremely depressed, and partaking in self-harm. I honestly couldn;t tell you exactly what it was about this book, but it gave me the motivation I needed to get help for what I was feeling. Maybe that's why I loved it so much, but either way, I thought this was an excellent book!
StephThyng
Currently Reading: Small Great Things
Bookshelf Size: 43
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-stephthyng.html
Latest Review: "The Banned Book about Love" by Scott Hughes

Post by StephThyng »

S dot Lennon wrote:I read this book last year and I must say that I really enjoyed it. The book moved well and I liked that it was unpredictable. The idea of sending a message to all the people that contributed to where you were mentally is depressing and accusatory but the narrative made it clear how depressed Hannah was. I also thought it was interesting that she decided to force each person to pass on the story knowing they were airing their own dirty laundry as well. Suicide is a heavy topic and I thought Jay Asher handled the topic in a very powerful and moving way. I have recommended this book to friends of mine, both parents and students, because it reflects the society we live in right now. Bullying has gotten out of hand and too many people have taken their lives because of it. I'm all for anything that will make people think twice about how their actions affect others and I think this book in many instances might do that.
Exactly!
Latest Review: "The Banned Book about Love" by Scott Hughes
Dexter9

Post by Dexter9 »

It highlights the fact that suicide is not a decision one takes merely after an unfortunate incident. Things build up until you're no longer able to take control of your life and explode. People, however, erupt in various ways. Some react violently, others are harsh on themselves and may hurt their ownselves!
Though I loved how the author discussed such an intense topic in his debut novel, for me, this book was a pretty straight forward one! It failed to make a lasting impact on me.
alex-l
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-alex-l_111501.html

Post by alex-l »

Every teenage should read this book. It's not about the big things. It's about the little things in life.
realmorgan1124
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading: Long Live The Pumpkin Queen
Bookshelf Size: 5
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-realmorgan1124.html

Post by realmorgan1124 »

An amazing book but I also have t admit that the first time I read it, I didn't completely understand it which wasn't normal for as I can normally get the underlying message.The first time I read it though I was quite young so it does make sense that I wouldn't have completely understood it, all I understood at that time was that it was sad and terrible. I recently reread it recently and picked up on the underlying messages and what was actually going on. I really do wish that the author would have pushed more on the message and made it a more clear statement.
viana_peri
Bookshelf Size: 14

Post by viana_peri »

When I got this book, I read it while simultaneously listening to the audio tapes. I found that to be more interactive as I could hear her voice while I read the novel so I could comprehend I little more than I normally would. I do agree that the book is brilliant. What made this book different from the others (for me) was her reasons. Additionally, the stages she went through were so clearly defined just by her describing what she went through. I couldn't get enough and finished it in half a day, haha, but I love the fresh take on how the plot was communicated.
The difference also lied in Clay's thoughts in between. It brought out the themes and messages of the book more clearly. Without him, there wouldn't be much to comprehend other than a sad story of suicide.
Pacers_ze_penguin
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-pacers-ze-penguin.html

Post by Pacers_ze_penguin »

I agree that the author did seem to want to get across the idea "think twice before you say something" but I also feel like it had a strong message behind it that no matter what you think or how much you think everyone hates you suicide isn't ending the pain it's passing it to someone else.
Leayna
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-leayna.html

Post by Leayna »

This book was pretty good. I read it years ago so my memory on it is pretty fuzzy. I have a history of depression so any book like this hits close to home. I enjoyed it either way and appreciate anyone who can form a good story around suicide and depression. It helps other people understand it even though they've never experienced it and helps remove the stigma against mental illness.
Sparkletime
Currently Reading: The Tombs of Atuan
Bookshelf Size: 20
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sparkletime.html
Latest Review: "The Protectors, The First Coming" by Jonathan Gregory Reed

Post by Sparkletime »

I recall reading this book and had very mixed feelings. I think it's well written but it was all a little odd to me. Netflix is making this into a miniseries though so I'll probably check it out and compare the two.
Latest Review: "The Protectors, The First Coming" by Jonathan Gregory Reed
ablume
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ablume.html

Post by ablume »

One of my all time favorites! Also, I believe Netflix is doing something about making it a film or a show or something I'm not sure what exactly. This book is so great at addressing the subtle impacts we have in other peoples lives, and how much we can effect them without even knowing. The story for me was also amazingly original. You didn't know quite what you were getting into, I certainly didn't know what to expect from hearing about a girls reasoning for suicide.

Return to “Young Adult Fiction Books”