Thirteen Reasons Why- Jay Asher...So anyone else read that b

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any young adult books.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.

did this book really get across the point that suicide isn't the answer?

yes it did
52%
a little, but not really
48%

Total votes: 102

jojo48713
Bookshelf Size: 28
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jojo48713.html
Latest Review: Audible Book of your Choice by Amazon

Re: Thirteen Reasons Why- Jay Asher...So anyone else read th

Post by jojo48713 »

I thought this book was amazing and I immediately passed it to my best friend and told her to read it right away. It was sad, for sure, but I felt that it had such a strong message and was really an eye opener for how much we can affect a person's life without even realizing it. This book is in my top 50 of books to brag about and books I would read again. Five stars and Two thumbs up!
cj17
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by cj17 »

13 Reasons Why is definitely in the top five depressing books I've ever read. I don't usually go for that type of book, but it was gotten for me as a gift so I decided to read it. It's been about three years since I've read it and I still can't decide if I like it or not. It was a very well written book and it very unique, both of which make me very happy, but I just can't get over the fact that she ended up committing suicide. I mean, we knew it was going to happen because she had already committed it when the book had started, but I still found myself throughout the book hoping that she would choose not to and I was still disappointed in the ending since she was dead. But, it does give us a good, if not overused lesson, of 'don't be a bully'. My favorite quote from the book reads, "Even though someone appears to shrug off a sideways comment, or to not be affected by a rumor, it's impossible to know everything else going on in that person's life, and how we might be adding to his/her past." Another good message we receive is from the perspective the boy who receives these 'reasons'. He learns that if maybe he had actually spoken to Hannah, or even gone so far as to attempt to date her, as he had wanted to, he might have been able to at least given her some shred of happiness to hold on to, that would have kept her alive. If she hadn't felt so alone, maybe she would still be here. Those two lessons are just different sides of the same coin: You don't know how you are contributing to someone's day/life. And this book does a great job of telling us what happens if you contribute negatively.
lennon_fontaine14
Bookshelf Size: 3
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-lennon-fontaine14.html

Post by lennon_fontaine14 »

My heart was still pounding after I’m done reading this book.

Okay, I did not exactly got the hype of this-is-so-damn-good-i’m-exploding feels, but I did got the “Mom, I think I’m getting a heart burn?” feels. Guess they were both the same. But, either way, Thirteen Reasons Why was a really nice book.

I honestly felt that things that has anything to do with suicide is out of feeling all alone eventhough they were not. I mean we feel alone several times in our lives, but it never dawn on me or to some of you, that out of complete helplessness and some self-centered thinking, you’d commit something bad to yourself. To put periods to all the questions left unanswered. But, like I always tell myself, we have different ways of coping with our own inner conflicts.

And Thirteen Reasons Why enlightened me with that matter. At the age so young and surrounded by minds of people with different goals and ways of proving themselves to others, I did understand that someone like Hannah Baker can’t take all of it. I now understand that not all people just get along with the flow, or do something about it right away. Sometimes, there are people who stop and look at it the way we never saw. Sometimes, it’s just too much for them when we think we can handle it if we are in their shoes.

Okay, enough with my reflection paper.

Jay Asher, you got me first with your book “The Future us”, which was completely different with Thirteen Reasons Why. But, you got me once again. Just like any other authors that I’ve admired, you had a way of touching someone’s life with your words. You had me gripping and waiting for what will happen next. How I wish I could have that magic of yours too. Haha!

I must say this book is a must-read! It’s an eye opener and a way to understand what we thought was an act out of complete selfishness.

Jay Asher, I love you two times now. Waiting for you new books to be released!
spablo_94
Currently Reading: Redeployment
Bookshelf Size: 317
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-spablo-94.html

Post by spablo_94 »

Thirteen Reasons Why really helps to get across the message that we should not bully anyone. As for those whose attempting to commit suicide, it will help them realize that suicide is not the answer to ease their suffering.

Jay Asher used a new concept to tackle suicide. He successfully informed the readers what a suicidal really feels by using the tapes. However, it didn't talk about why should the main character find ways to ease her pain and not commit suicide.

Overall, I like the book and will totally recommend it to anyone.
Sarah Clay
Favorite Author: Charles Dickens
Currently Reading: Lost in the Wilderness
Bookshelf Size: 72
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sarah-clay.html
Latest Review: "The Lob Mob" by Tell Tale
fav_author_id: 2384

Post by Sarah Clay »

This book hit me hard. It triggered me, and in the end, I don't really think it gave the "Suicide isn't the answer" message. However, I think it works more of an eye-opener for those who don't think about what they do and say. If it's looked at from this perspective, then I do believe that Asher got his message across.
Latest Review: "The Lob Mob" by Tell Tale
Shannon-Youngblood1

Post by Shannon-Youngblood1 »

I really enjoyed this book. I have bought this book three times now because my copies never get returned! I enjoyed the concept of the book and found it very relatable after losing my friend by suicide when I was in high school.
adhagen
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-adhagen.html

Post by adhagen »

I read it and I found it as amazing as you did! I love Jay Asher's work. I found Hannah's story upsetting and I felt so sorry for her. I was amazed by the way she decided to tell the thirteen reasons why she died. I have been recommended this book many times and I'm finally glad I got around to reading it. I wish I had read it sooner!
dhaller
Currently Reading: The Moral Arc
Bookshelf Size: 24
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-dhaller.html
Latest Review: "Off to See the Wizard" by Clay Johnson

Post by dhaller »

Sad book. Good though.

It seems that the book was caught in some sort of limbo between trying to show how (spoiler) suicide could be a plausible, attractive option for a teenage girl, and not trying to advocate that anyone actually do it.

As much as I liked the book (I read it in one sitting), I wished that the author had committed to one side a bit more heavily.
Latest Review: "Off to See the Wizard" by Clay Johnson
ThackerayLover
Bookshelf Size: 9
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-thackeraylover.html

Post by ThackerayLover »

This book made me cry, but she shouldnt have killed herself in the end.
lenawilder
Bookshelf Size: 16
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-lenawilder.html
Reading Device: B00KC6I06S

Post by lenawilder »

This book was truly an eye-opener! It really makes you think about how you act and what you say to people. It was a heart-wrenching story that triggered many feelings from my past, like so many others, who have struggled with suicidal thoughts.
Lily_Reviews

Post by Lily_Reviews »

I'm so glad I found this thread. I read the book a few years ago and I really did enjoy it. I think as readers we are on Hannah's side so it is satisfying to read how she gets some sort of closure on the circumstances and people that lead to her suicide. I think it romanticized suicide in a way that is not good for real life, however, works in the literary sense. In reality, those left behind after a death by suicide, are left with many questions. It is interesting to see the events that led to her suicide.

I highly recommend for the young adult audience.
Yessenia Brito
Currently Reading:

Post by Yessenia Brito »

A really good book that I would really suggest is 13 reasons why. Just a quick summary of the book and of course spoilers you have been warned it's basically about a teenager that has commuted suicide and she has a list a people that have caused her to do it. If your name happens to appear on the list she created you are one of the reasons she has committed suicide. It is a very good book unfortunately I don't know that name of the author. However if you choose to read it you won't be disappointed. Have fun.
PaulaSofia
Currently Reading: You
Bookshelf Size: 22

Post by PaulaSofia »

I liked this one as well. Very eye opening.
I read it's being turned into a 13 episode series for Netflix. Will definitely watch
mmandy38
Favorite Author: Nicholas Sparks
Currently Reading: The Zookeeper's Wife
Bookshelf Size: 132
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mmandy38.html
Latest Review: Natural Relief for Anxiety and Stress by Gustavo Kinrys, MD
Reading Device: B00HCNHDN0
fav_author_id: 2460

Post by mmandy38 »

PaulaSofia wrote:I liked this one as well. Very eye opening.
I read it's being turned into a 13 episode series for Netflix. Will definitely watch
Ooh if this is true, I will definitely watch. It was a good read, but also very sad. It makes you think about what you say to people and how you treat them
Kaitlyn12
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 0">Lost</a>
Currently Reading: City of Bones
Bookshelf Size: 16
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kaitlyn12.html
Latest Review: "Merikh's Daughter" by Gabriela M. Sanchez

Post by Kaitlyn12 »

I really need to get this book. Every time I go to the library, it is checked out. My mom recommended this book to me. Maybe now I just need to break down and buy it!
Latest Review: "Merikh's Daughter" by Gabriela M. Sanchez

Return to “Young Adult Fiction Books”