Thirteen Reasons Why- Jay Asher...So anyone else read that b

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any young adult books.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.

did this book really get across the point that suicide isn't the answer?

yes it did
52%
a little, but not really
48%

Total votes: 102

jasteckling
Bookshelf Size: 0

Re: Thirteen Reasons Why- Jay Asher...So anyone else read th

Post by jasteckling »

Thirteen Reasons Why, to me, did bring home the fact that suicide is not the answer. For me, it also brought to light the lack of resources many teens feel are available to them when they are experiencing suicidal thoughts, or severe depression. The fact that she had planned her suicide so extensively that she had the foresight to make the tapes, explaining all the reasons why, yet she never felt like she had somewhere she could get help without being judged truly shows that, at least at the time, there were not a lot of ways for teenagers to be heard when struggling with suicidal thoughts. It made me realize that people that are suicidal may display the signs but be overlooked, as happened with Hannah. Stories like this are why I pay so much attention to those around me, and my younger brothers. I just want to make sure that if someone is struggling, they can open up to me about it (or if not me, maybe call a suicide hotline). It was hard to read about such a beautiful person feeling so miserable, and it also opened my eyes to the fact that teenagers in situations like hers don't see themselves for what they are, or care too much about what other people think they are and base their self-worth on that.
christyfrog35
Bookshelf Size: 11
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-christyfrog35.html

Post by christyfrog35 »

I have read this book a lot of times I enjoy Thirteen Reasons Why and it really moves me and makes me think. I have also had my two nieces read it because they were going through some hard times and I think this helped them get through it, One of my nieces was thinking of committing suicide and this helped her get through it and be able to see that there is more to life. I love the book 5 out of 5 stars
MillenniumFayte
Bookshelf Size: 9
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-millenniumfayte.html

Post by MillenniumFayte »

I liked this book a lot, and I've read it several times now. The thing that bothers me about it is Hannah seems to put a lot of blame on the teacher she talks to in the last tape. Many adults don't know how to handle suicidal feelings in teenagers, so it seemed unfair to me.
caity_cat_23
Currently Reading: Timebound
Bookshelf Size: 18
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-caity-cat-23.html
Latest Review: "ABC Poems" by Helena Gershenzon and Galina Likhovetsky

Post by caity_cat_23 »

I enjoyed this book though I felt some of the topics were a little more on the edgy side than what I normally read. The book really opened my eyes to see that while you may have hardly ever spoken to someone you could still have an impact on their life. Everything you do, someone sees and is affected by it. I might would recommend this book but it really just depends on the person. It might be a little too dark for some readers.
Latest Review: "ABC Poems" by Helena Gershenzon and Galina Likhovetsky
NikLynn09
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-niklynn09.html

Post by NikLynn09 »

I thought this book did a great job of showing that there are people who want to help, but don't know there is a problem. I wish it would have gone more into "suicide is not the answer", but definitely a good book.
zeldas_lullaby
Favorite Author: ---------
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... =3452">The Thorn Birds</a>
Currently Reading: The Last Stonestepper
Bookshelf Size: 79
Signature Addition: View official OnlineBookClub.org review of Forever Twelve

Post by zeldas_lullaby »

I guess it's different for everyone, but in my experience, being suicidal is terrifying. You're scared of yourself, basically. You want to stop yourself but you can't. You turn to everyone and they reject you in your hour of need. You're being a "drama queen." You're having a "bad attitude about life." You need to "make better choices." No, you can't go to the hospital, it's "too expensive."
And then there's the charcoal. It doesn't taste good. And then there's being trapped on the mental ward, forced to take journaling classes against your will.
This book didn't have too much of an effect on me, actually. But I've been through the emotional ringer so many times already in my life that it was like, "Been there, felt that." So that's not really a criticism of the book. I think it was a good book. While I understand that fiction should tell a story and not necessarily preach, I don't think preaching on this issue is a bad thing. Maybe I'll write it into my series. I thought the ending was sad. (Spoiler alert: she kills herself.) I'd rather come across a book that's more uplifting than realistic. That's how I write, anyway.
bbeverly
Bookshelf Size: 37
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bbeverly.html

Post by bbeverly »

I personally enjoyed this book and found it eye-opening about just how much words can hurt. I think it could bring to light about how bullying affects the victims. To really get the point across, especially in the coming generations, I feel like the book needs to be actually discussed with teens. It would make great required reading because it what I consider modern. It tackles real issues and real feelings and Jay Asher writes in an easy to read/ understand format. It makes you think about the consequences your actions can have on others. Even though suicide isn't the answer, sadly many teens feel it is because they don't know how to talk about their feelings and try to get help. This book would make a great discussion piece and maybe branch off to other topics about suicide prevention, who to talk to, how to get help, etc.
meghanelyse730
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-meghanelyse730.html

Post by meghanelyse730 »

I really enjoyed the book as well, but I don't think they should make it into a movie. I have read this book probably four times now and each time I find out something new about it I didn't read before.
ashen0521
Bookshelf Size: 1
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ashen0521.html

Post by ashen0521 »

I read this book a few years ago. I feel that people should read it just so they know what some of the things they do can do to others. Now, I am not saying all of the blame for suicide is on people that bully others etc., what I am mainly saying is that whether or not they end up commuting suicide no one likes being made fun or, put down, or beat up. It just crushes self esteem. This book is an eye opener to some people.
ellen may
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ellen-may.html

Post by ellen may »

I read this book last June and loved it so much that I posted a review on my blog(ramblingsofabibliophile) singing its praises. This is what i wrote:
Thirteen Reasons Why is about a girl who commits suicide and Clay Jenson who attended her high school and had a massive crush on her. Right before she takes the pills that are responsible for her death, she records the thirteen reasons why she does so on audio tape. Each reason connects to a different person and the tapes are sent to these people after she kills herself. Each person is responsible for passing the tapes on to the next person. When Clay returns home from school one day, he finds the tapes and begins to listen, he is one of the reasons. This is the story of why Hannah killed herself, Clays reaction to hearing them and his aprehension to discover the part he played in it.
I think this idea is really interesting, unique and almost a bit dark. It is almost difficult to read because of the intense emotions that are thrown at you but it makes the whole experience more truthful and gives you a much deeper understanding
The story starts off the morning after Clay listened to the tapes and then flashes back to when he found them. He starts listening to them and we get to read large chunks of Hannah's story, followed by Clays reaction. The transition between the two is done really well and makes it very interesting as it makes the reader react to the tapes in the same way Clay does, rather than in the way of someone who didn't know her. It makes the story much more interesting and triggers many more thoughts and emotions about the topics that are addressed throughout.
Because the majority of this book is Hannah speaking through audio tapes, it is written quite differently as spoken language can be very different to written language. This made it difficult to get in to. It was needed though as it makes it so much more realistic and relatable. It make you feel more like you are listening to something rather than reading it.
The story was very deep and thought-provoking and brings up interesting and difficult themes that are not glossed over. It showed how so many different things, both big and small, can continue to build up until you've had enough of the struggle and pain. It might seem like one little thing to the other person but on top of everything else it is just another thing that makes life hard. You never know what is going on in someone's life, what struggle they're are going through and one small thing that you've payed a part in could make it a hell of a lot worse. It made me think about how careful you have to be not to do hurtful things, how careful you have to be to make sure someone is truly alright.
After reading it, it made me feel quite negative about life in some ways because of how bad it can be, of what can go on and of all the secrets that somewhere or someone can have that we don't even know about. However, I think that once I have had time to think more about this book and organise my thoughts it will be something that I could take in a positive way and make me have a more positive outlook on life, making it a very influential read.
It was not perfect by any means but I really enjoyed this book and recommend it to anyone who enjoys a darker, deeper contemporary and like books with a meaning behind them.
IndieMae

Post by IndieMae »

Thirteen Reasons Why by Jay Asher had me hooked. This book was recommended to me by a friend, and it did not disappoint. The story really sheds new insight on depression and suicide. It was fast paced and interesting. The way Hannah tells her story is an interesting concept that kept me flipping pages.
_dsimba

Post by _dsimba »

I had to read this book in middle school for class and such a shame that we never got around to having a discussion about it. I remember reading that people just ignored her change. I feel like this book was such a great eye opener for teens to see how much they affect a person and that actions have reasons and consequences. Haunts you every time you think about it. :shhh:
aschuck_13

Post by aschuck_13 »

I thought this book was very emotional.
Eiles77
Bookshelf Size: 94
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-eiles77.html

Post by Eiles77 »

I read this last year on a recommendation. This is not the type of books I would normally pick, but it's good to get out of your comfort zone every once in a while. Thirteen Reasons Why is a great book! I was hooked immediately and it read like a mystery for me. I couldn't put it down because I wanted to know how the next person was involved. Suicide is a deep topic and Jay Asher did a great job of writing about something that is almost taboo to talk about. I hope more teens read this, as it paints a very clear picture of how little things people say and do effect others in big ways.
kcody
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kcody.html

Post by kcody »

Yes, I think the book Thirteen Reasons Why definitely got the point across that suicide is not a viable option. In addition, it highlighted the fact that how people treat others can have a huge impact. Often teens, and even adults, flippantly make comments to others without thinking of their repercussions. This book demonstrated in haunting detail just how dangerous such comments or actions can be. Although the message of the book is hard hitting, it is not preachy in its delivery. The plot of the book unfolds in a manner that keeps the readers attention throughout; even reluctant teen readers.

Return to “Young Adult Fiction Books”