Official Review: Awakened by J.T. Carroll

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any young adult books.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Kourtney Bradley
Favorite Book: Bridges of Madison County
Currently Reading: Layla
Bookshelf Size: 412
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kourtney-bradley.html
Latest Review: Dante's Demons by K.L. Barstow
Reading Device: 1400697484

Official Review: Awakened by J.T. Carroll

Post by Kourtney Bradley »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Awakened" by J.T. Carroll.]
Book Cover
3 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Being sixteen is tough on its own but imagine being bound by mystical family secrets that have only just begun. Being too grown for immature reactions and endeavors, yet too young for all the information at once proves to be a challenge in itself for Grey Corwen. For Grey, the simple move back to her mother’s mundane hometown was just that, simple- or so she thought. The sleepy little town of Erving proves to be anything but that, all the while testing her sanity and her patience. In J.T. Carroll’s debut to the Hidden Society Series, Awakened is a sure-fire way to ignite your interest and allow you a small glimpse into the mystical world of mystery and magic, while also introducing some memorable characters that will stay with you long after closing the last page.

Included in the Young Adult/Paranormal/Romance genre, Awakened possessed everything needed to keep me interested. From the amusing sibling banter between Grey and her brother Alex, to the quirky friendships made with Quinn, Paige and Emery, and to the intense and lustful brewing relationship with Declan, Grey’s character develops some amusing and entertaining relationships that are realistic and enchanting. With the afore mentioned group, readers will be pleased to discover some unforgettable characters, some of which quickly come into the forefront of the storyline, leaving readers wanting more and more. The author provides a clear and steady build up for the introduction of each character, allowing readers ample time to discover who they are individually.

The story is well-paced, giving readers enough time to get to know the characters and situations, but not so long as to become bored with them. I really liked that the story has an enchanting “old small town” feel yet remains modern for readers. I also enjoyed how the author provides just enough foreshadowing to get readers in the mood for what’s to come.

While the storyline itself was truly engaging and entertaining, the editing could use a closer examination, as there are a few instances throughout the story where the transition between scenes is a bit choppy and hard to follow. There is also a section in towards the end of the story where the names of two characters are mixed up, causing significant confusion for a romantic encounter between Grey and her brother.

Despite my few editing complaints, Awakened was an unforgettable story that I am looking forward to following throughout the remainder of the series. In a small town where everything is not quite as it seems, the characters in Awakened will keep you coming back for more and looking forward to the next book in the series. Overall, I give Awakened 3 out of 4 stars with hopes that other readers will enjoy the story as much as I have. Had the few editing errors been dissolved prior to my reading, I would have easily rated the story a full four stars. I would highly recommend this book to young adult readers who enjoy paranormal romance, or just simply adults looking for a quick and fun read.

Awakened
View: on Bookshelves

Like klbradley's review? Post a comment saying so!
Whenever you read a good book, somewhere in the world a door opens to allow in more light. :techie-studyingbrown:
–Vera Nazarian
kandscreeley
Special Discussion Leader
Currently Reading: Believarexic
Bookshelf Size: 486
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kandscreeley.html
Latest Review: The Elf Revelation by Jordan David

Post by kandscreeley »

It's too bad about the editing, but it sounds like a really interesting book. I'll have to look into it a bit more as young adult is one of my favorite genres (I'm a kid at heart. What can I say?) BTW, I love your quote! I was really into her series for a while (Qualify, Compete... something or other?) but then she took forever to release one of the book's and I kind of quit reading it.
A book is a dream you hold in your hands.
—Neil Gaiman
Kourtney Bradley

kandscreeley wrote: 20 Apr 2018, 07:46 It's too bad about the editing, but it sounds like a really interesting book. I'll have to look into it a bit more as young adult is one of my favorite genres (I'm a kid at heart. What can I say?) BTW, I love your quote! I was really into her series for a while (Qualify, Compete... something or other?) but then she took forever to release one of the book's and I kind of quit reading it.
Thank you! I'm a sucker for YA too! I immediately looked up the second book after finishing! :)
Whenever you read a good book, somewhere in the world a door opens to allow in more light. :techie-studyingbrown:
–Vera Nazarian
stacie k
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 192
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-stacie-k.html
Latest Review: River Kids by Jennie Linnane

Post by stacie k »

Memorable characters and a well-paced plot with just enough foreshadowing sound like wonderful elements in this young adult novel. Thanks for introducing me to this book!
“The tongue of the wise makes knowledge acceptable.” Proverbs 15:2a
cpru68
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Book: What My Dog Taught Me About Jesus
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 179
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cpru68.html
Latest Review: Heaven's Call by Roger Dawson
Reading Device: B00HCNHDN0

Post by cpru68 »

At first glance, I thought the title was 'Awkward'! From the sounds of your review, the author did a good job on plot and storyline. I like a novel that has the old town feel. Most small towns have gossip and people aren't as nice as they appear to be. I hope the author takes your advice on the editing errors and makes some improvements. Thank you for this review, this one interests me now!
Everything happens for a reason...
Libs_Books
Favorite Book: The year of the flood
Currently Reading: Mason Dixon
Bookshelf Size: 273
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-libs-books.html
Latest Review: Dont Panic Its Organic by Dr. Andy Lopez

Post by Libs_Books »

klbradley wrote: 18 Apr 2018, 14:58I really liked that the story has an enchanting “old small town” feel yet remains modern for readers
I like a book that's got a good sense of place, but I don't think this one's for me. I enjoyed your review, though - and gotta love that avatar!
crediblereading2
Currently Reading: Bitroux
Bookshelf Size: 32
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-crediblereading2.html
Latest Review: SSN Seadragon by J P Ronald

Post by crediblereading2 »

Except for the editing, everything else about this book seems to be balanced and fascinating. From the well-paced storyline to the role of each character and the quaint little town, the story has indeed captured my attention. Thank you for your honest review.
PlanetHauth
Currently Reading: Celebrity
Bookshelf Size: 766
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-planethauth.html
Latest Review: Heartaches 2 by H.M. Irwing

Post by PlanetHauth »

This sounds like an interesting book. I, too, have a soft spot for YA novels. I'm not entirely sure why I'm so drawn to them, but they make up a large part of my library.
There is also a section in towards the end of the story where the names of two characters are mixed up, causing significant confusion for a romantic encounter between Grey and her brother.
Or perhaps the author was channeling his/her inner V.C. Andrews and Flowers in the Attic? :eusa-think: :lol:
“Don’t adventures ever have an end? I suppose not. Someone else always has to carry on the story.”
-Bilbo Baggins
bnoy
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 5
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bnoy.html
Latest Review: Devilish by Tricia Barr

Post by bnoy »

That's such a shame that it needs more editing, however, your review is enchantingly great! You've definitely made me excited to read this book and the series as a whole. I have a great love of YA fiction and often find them lacking in one way or another. The way you've written the review and the explanation of characters and tones is refreshing to hear and I am so excited to read this.
Kourtney Bradley

Libs_Books wrote: 20 Apr 2018, 14:58
klbradley wrote: 18 Apr 2018, 14:58I really liked that the story has an enchanting “old small town” feel yet remains modern for readers
I like a book that's got a good sense of place, but I don't think this one's for me. I enjoyed your review, though - and gotta love that avatar!
That avatar is the closest resemblance to me possible. :)
–Vera Nazarian
Amy+++
Favorite Book: The Mister
Currently Reading: Last Chance Cafe
Bookshelf Size: 219
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-amy.html
Latest Review: The Chauvinist's Guide to Modern Romance by Morris Rollins
Reading Device: B01CRGNO4S

Post by Amy+++ »

I love it! I come from a small town so I will enjoy reading this, (with the knowledge that my small town has no hidden secrets). It sounds suspenseful and charming with a little bit of everything thrown in for everyone. I think a lot people young and old will enjoy this book. Thanks for the review.
Kourtney Bradley

Thank you for checking it out! I hope you enjoy it as much as I have!
–Vera Nazarian

Return to “Young Adult Fiction Books”