Official Review: Enlightened by Billie Kowalewski

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any young adult books.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
truebookaddict
Favorite Book: The Historian
Currently Reading: Children of the Dark
Bookshelf Size: 3838
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-truebookaddict.html
Reading Device: B00TSUGXKE

Re: Official Review: Enlightened by Billie Kowalewski

Post by truebookaddict »

I love that this book's premise is reincarnation, but I wish it wasn't a series. Why does every book have to be a series? Anyway, sounds like a very engaging story. I do like great world building. Thanks for your insight!
“Even if she be not harmed, her heart may fail her in so much and so many horrors; and hereafter she may suffer--both in waking, from her nerves, and in sleep, from her dreams.”
― Bram Stoker, Dracula
dragonet07
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 23031">The Beauty of the Fall</a>
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 1718
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-dragonet07.html
Latest Review: Creating Literary Stories: A Fiction Writer's Guide by William H. Coles

Post by dragonet07 »

I love a good reincarnation story. I find the concept fascinating, and this angle is interesting and makes a lot of sense. It is a little unnerving to think that the person who you think is your soulmate in this life might actually be causing your soul problems in the overall cycle of going to and returning from Earth, but the existentialism of this idea piques my curiosity. I will definitely have to add this one to my "to read" list. Thank you for the helpful review.
The more that you read,
The more things you will know.
The more that you learn,
The more places you'll go.
~Dr. Seuss
asaltares
Currently Reading: Illustrated Short Fiction of William H. Coles: 2000-2016
Bookshelf Size: 232

Post by asaltares »

Wow. That review was amazing. Just the idea of the earth as a school of souls got me hooked. Thanks for the free copy of this amazing book. Congratulations on BOTD.
Shrabastee Chakraborty
Book of the Month Participant
Favorite Book: The Warramunga's War
Currently Reading: Timewise
Bookshelf Size: 1153
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-shrabastee-chakraborty.html
Latest Review: The Infinite Passion of Life by D.J. Paolini

Post by Shrabastee Chakraborty »

This book sounds amazing! I have never thought of having elements from historical fictions in a YA fantasy novel! As you mentioned about the world-building, it will make the read more enjoyable. I am glad to have obtained a copy of this. Thanks for the enlightening review!
Rosemary Wright
Bookshelves Moderator
Favorite Author: Sydney Sheldon
Favorite Book: Spanky
Currently Reading: Culture Man
Bookshelf Size: 689
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-rosemary-wright.html
Latest Review: Gods Whisper Always Near by Sharon Williams
Reading Device: Android

Post by Rosemary Wright »

Though your review piques my interest, I don't actually like books with storylines about souls and reincarnation. I'll skip this one. Thanks for your interesting review.
Amanda Deck
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: A Sight For Psychic Eyes
Bookshelf Size: 113
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-amanda-deck.html
Latest Review: Winds of Fall by Alberto Mercado

Post by Amanda Deck »

This part I definitely like:
I am very bad at visualizing scenes in a novel, but I could visualize almost every single scene in this one. It really surprised me!
I'm the same way so this is a plus. About reincarnation, I didn't even think much of it as a religious belief, just part of the story and how we need to learn what we're here for. Besides, it all sounds mysterious and fun to read. I read the summary and wasn't quite sure, but this review made me go for it so thank you.
Sunnyroyish
Currently Reading: Journey of a Bedroom Poet
Bookshelf Size: 60
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sunnyroyish.html
Latest Review: Mythic Worlds and the One You Can Believe In by Harold Toliver

Post by Sunnyroyish »

Interesting plot! The story of Veronica and her countless wasted reincarnations on planet Earth seems to be a good read. Congrats on BOTD.
Life is just a parenthesis in the vastness of infinity.
Cristina Chifane
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Book: The Magic Mountain
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 898
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cristina-chifane.html
Latest Review: The Fold by Dennis Lee
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by Cristina Chifane »

I like the idea of seeing our life on Earth as a means of learning a lot of lessons to get ready for the after life. However, the pages I have read did not convince me enough to read the whole book. For me, Veronica's visit to Seth's grave is much too extended to continue gripping my attention for a long time. Thanks for your review, though.
"The madness of writing is the antidote to true madness." (Hanif Kureishi)
Latest Review: The Fold by Dennis Lee
Tock513
Currently Reading: Strong Heart
Bookshelf Size: 319
Reading Device: B00ZQVSKSM

Post by Tock513 »

Reading the review, it definitely entices me more to want to read it! :techie-studyinggray: I definitely believe in reincarnation, so I'm interested in that part. How Earth is a school, and every time they learn from their mistakes. When they return to earth again, they come back in a different body possibly in a different time period. And I'm guessing each time they come back, using the knowledge they learned from their previous trip on Earth. Souls are reincarnated, Earth is their school. :eusa-think:
Katee771
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 2

Post by Katee771 »

Enlightened by Billie Kowalewski

Fantasy novels with reincarnation elements are definitely not my style, but apology, making up for something and learning lessons are values which you don't find very often described in a very interesting way. This values attract me to read the book as soon as I find time. I respect everyone's point of view. This one is totally different from mine. I just love when people search for thruth rather than sitting disappointed at home. That's why I'm looking forward to the book!
Hiruni Bhagya 81
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 128
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-hiruni-bhagya-81.html
Latest Review: Randy Love...at your service by Shay Carter

Post by Hiruni Bhagya 81 »

From the beginning, my curiosity was aroused and I'm really, really excited about this book. Knowing it ends with a cliffhanger is a bit of turn off for me, but regardless of that I'm gonna read this book and I hope the next book of the series is already released so that when I finish this book I can pick up from there. If not I'll have to wait till then.
TheTrueNyree
Currently Reading: McDowell
Bookshelf Size: 77
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-thetruenyree.html
Latest Review: The Girl Who Knew Da Vinci by Belle Ami

Post by TheTrueNyree »

I have to admit the subject is a unique. I mean at least I do not hear of a lot of stories with reincarnations. I can only imagine how veronica feels being harmony in her past life or her soulmate being the one causing her to die in each life. I think this definitely may be an interesting read. However, I do not believe in reincarnation, so I am not sure if I will read this one.
Julehart1
Currently Reading: Adrift
Bookshelf Size: 85
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-julehart1.html
Latest Review: Killing Time ... Physics, Lust and Greed Series Book 3 by Mike Murphey

Post by Julehart1 »

This book sounds really interesting. I like the whole plot with reincarnation and past souls. It seems like fun fantasy YA novel. I like hearing that the main character is well developed and intriguing. Glad to hear that the pace of the novel was great and the worldbuilding was fun. Also it’s great how the character traveled to different time periods like the early 1900s. It’s nice that the book had historical accuracies, as it shows it was well researched. Thanks for your review.
JHuschle519
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 57
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jhuschle519.html
Latest Review: End of the Last Great Kingdom by Victor Rose

Post by JHuschle519 »

I just got done reading the first chapter, and I was debating if I was going to read the rest of it. After reading your review, I think I will finish it. I've always loved the idea of reincarnation, and the idea of Earth being a school for souls is a nice twist on the idea. Thanks for the great review!
Shas F
Currently Reading: Monsters in the Hallway
Bookshelf Size: 255
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-shas-f.html
Latest Review: The Engine Woman's Light by Laurel Anne Hill

Post by Shas F »

After reading the Amazon summary, it was not clear to me if Enlightenment by Billie Kowalewski, was a life-after-death plot, an alternate-reality fantasy or some sort of reincarnation. Based on the Amazon sample, it appeared to be more of the second, touching on grief, death, transition to a "real world," and destiny. It's worth a read especially for young people pondering on the meaning of existence, identity, reality and consciousness. After reading the first few pages of Enlightenment and the review of BriennaiJ, it appears to me the book is about all of that and more. The book is about how Earth is actually a school for "souls," and that Veronica, the "reincarnated" Harmony, must find a way to stop "Kaleb," a soulmate from a past-life from messing up her Earth-life and causing her to die. The reader must find out what the real message of this book is. If Earth is a school for souls, what is the education for? What ultimate plain of existence are souls being trained for?

Return to “Young Adult Fiction Books”