Official Review: Voyage of Pearl of the Seas

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any young adult books.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
desantismt_17
Currently Reading: When Angels Play Poker
Bookshelf Size: 1313
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-desantismt-17.html
Latest Review: Sasquatch Did It! by Patricia Komar

Official Review: Voyage of Pearl of the Seas

Post by desantismt_17 »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Voyage of Pearl of the Seas" by Ruth Finnegan.]
Book Cover
3 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Voyage of Pearl of the Seas by Ruth Finnegan is a beautiful coming-of-age story told in the tradition of folktale. Kate and Chris set off on a journey across the sea with the goal of sailing around the world. On their way, they encounter Odyssey-like obstacles and deal with evolving emotions toward one another. Before they can make it around the world, they arrive in the land of the King with Many Names, who teaches them many important lessons about life and themselves. The story is one of inner growth. Kate and Chris find themselves learning things they never knew and forging a bond to end all bonds in this mesmerizing tale of friendship and adventure.

Finnegan’s writing is stunning. I got swept away in the lilting quality of the prose. The use of rhyme and alliteration almost make this poetry. One of my favorite passages comes at the beginning of Chapter 4. It opens as follows: “A lone ship smaller, going, smallest, slipping stealing stillening sea-droppenly away.” The order of words is a journey in itself, and I found myself sliding along this line as if over a wave and into the ocean. For a lack of better way to describe it, Voyage of Pearl of the Seas offers a tactile reading experience.

Finnegan’s knowledge of classic literature and folktales shows. There are notes for her inspirations included at the end of the book, which added an interesting extra level of knowledge to this story. As she states, the notes are not necessary to understand the book, and I found this to be true. Some of the inspirations I understood before reading the notes. Others, I did not, but this in no way detracted from my reading experience.

As is true of many things, a best asset can also be a greatest downfall. While the writing is breathtaking, it is also heavy. There were places I felt bogged down in the words. As a result, I was forced to reread passages to reclaim the direction of the story before moving forward. There seems to be a general lack of punctuation. In many places, it is not necessarily incorrect grammar, but the running together of words made some sentences difficult to decipher. Similarly, more than one character’s dialogue appears in the same paragraph, and I had to double check who was speaking. There are no defined breaks between Kate’s thoughts, Chris’s thoughts, and the thoughts of a narrator. All of these things pulled me from the story at various points.

My favorite character is Holly, the dog who accompanies Kate and Chris on their voyage. Holly is smart and always willing to help—the perfect canine companion. During the journey, Holly falls overboard many times, never sustaining injuries. These accidents add humor and serve to bring Kate and Chris closer together. Holly also always seems to know what’s going on far better than her human counterparts. This alludes to the canine sixth sense and gives dogs the credit they are due for being such intelligent animals.

I rate Voyage of Pearl of the Seas 3 out of 4 stars. While the writing is gorgeous, there were just too many incidents where it was more confusing than lovely. This combined with a smattering of errors keep me from giving it a perfect 4. On the other hand, the prose is too enchanting to rate it 2 stars. I believe this book would be best enjoyed in audio format. With proper narration, the lyrical text would simply float off the page. I recommend this book for anyone interested in folktale or fairytale stories. It would also appeal to lovers of C. S. Lewis, as I was fondly reminded of the Chronicles of Narnia.

Voyage of Pearl of the Seas
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Like desantismt_17's review? Post a comment saying so!
You keep using that word. I do not think it means what you think it means.
kandscreeley
Special Discussion Leader
Currently Reading: The Door Within
Bookshelf Size: 487
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kandscreeley.html
Latest Review: The Elf Revelation by Jordan David

Post by kandscreeley »

You know, I saw this one to review but bypassed it. My thought was that there was no way that the author could live up to C. S. Lewis or the like. I'm impressed, though, with your review. I'll definitely have to pick this one up!
A book is a dream you hold in your hands.
—Neil Gaiman
Sahani Nimandra
Favorite Book: Harry Potter and The Sorceress Stone
Currently Reading: Man of the World
Bookshelf Size: 698
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sahani-nimandra.html
Latest Review: I once had a Farm in Ireland by Siggy Buckley
Reading Device: Huawei

Post by Sahani Nimandra »

Too bad about the confusing reads, according to your review I get a beautiful picture. Thank you for a giving a great description.
The person, be it gentleman or lady, who has not pleasure in a good novel, must be intolerably stupid! - Jane Austen :techie-studyingbrown:
Chigozie Anuli Mbadugha
Book of the Month Participant
Favorite Book: The Barnyard Buddies STOP for Peace
Currently Reading: When Leaves Fall
Bookshelf Size: 1583
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-chigozie-anuli-mbadugha.html
Latest Review: Winning the War on Cancer by Sylvie Beljanski

Post by Chigozie Anuli Mbadugha »

I like great writing any day. It is like music to one's soul. I will check this book out. Thanks for a candid review!
Irene C
Currently Reading: Outlander
Bookshelf Size: 145
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-irene-c.html
Latest Review: Apollo's Raven by Linnea Tanner
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by Irene C »

Thanks for this review. The balance between lyrical prose and readability can be hard to strike, and it's a shame this author didn't fully do so.
History is not a burden on the memory but an illumination of the soul. Lord Acton
NL Hartje
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Book: Kushiel's Dart
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 385
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nl-hartje.html
Latest Review: Looking forward as the Journey continues by George Mills

Post by NL Hartje »

As interesting as this sounds, the author lost me when I read your quote from chapter four. I personally cannot follow this "heavy" writing, as you've described it, without wanting to nod off. I appreciate your detailed review because I now know this probably isn't one for me.
“So the writer who breeds more words than he needs, is making a chore for the reader who reads.”
-Dr. Seuss
crediblereading2
Currently Reading: Bitroux
Bookshelf Size: 32
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-crediblereading2.html
Latest Review: SSN Seadragon by J P Ronald

Post by crediblereading2 »

This is a balanced review. The tale is quite enticing and informative. It teaches on life's lessons and love. I am disappointed that content is not properly structured though.
Eileen R
In It Together VIP
Favorite Book: Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows
Currently Reading: Toni the Superhero
Bookshelf Size: 45
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-eileen-r.html
Latest Review: Manifesto for a Cancer Patient by Colleen Huber, NMD

Post by Eileen R »

This is a great review. Although I'm a huge fan of chronicles of Narnia, I'm really not sure if this book will appeal to me. It does sound confusing and I think I'll probably get lost along the way. Thanks for the review though.
bnoy
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 5
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bnoy.html
Latest Review: Devilish by Tricia Barr

Post by bnoy »

I cannot wait to read this book! It has everything I enjoy, from coming of age to folktales. I'm slightly disappointed that it is a little confusing at times but I don't think it will keep me away from reading the novel. Thanks for the review!
lbhatters
Favorite Book: Life is Too Short to Waste and Do Nothing
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 30
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-lbhatters.html
Latest Review: Life is to Short to Waste and do Nothing by Gracie Curry Holman
Reading Device: B077WTB2LY

Post by lbhatters »

Your review of this book is very good. You have a good knack for writing. This sounds like an interesting book from your review. I hope the author has a sample to review on Amazon.
:techie-studyinggray: Start by doing what's necessary; then do what's possible; and suddenly you are doing the impossible.
-Fransis of Assisi

It's perfectly ok to write garbage, as long as you edit brilliantly.
-C.J. Cherryh
elizab8
Currently Reading: Blood and Roses
Bookshelf Size: 51
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-elizab8.html
Latest Review: Ironbark Hill by Jennie Linnane

Post by elizab8 »

Great Review: I happen to like folklores, and poetry as seen in the beginning of the book. Just the brief reading of "Voyage of Pearls" took my memory back to a Nancy Drew mystery. I am going to read the book, and hope I am re-living "Narnia" I did like that movie, it was enchanting and magical.

Return to “Young Adult Fiction Books”