The Hate U Give by Angie Thomas

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any young adult books.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
harleycowart
Bookshelf Size: 0

The Hate U Give by Angie Thomas

Post by harleycowart »

The Hate U Give was an amazing read. The people in the book wanted justice for their friend. The book really showed how everyone is equal and nobody deserves to be treated differently. No matter your race, everyone is equal and everyone deserves the same. In this book an African American boy was shot, and everyone in his town wanted justice for him. This boy was doing nothing wrong, but he was still shot by a cop. He was not treated the same way everyone else was, he was treated differently because of his race. No matter the color of your skin, everyone deserves to be treated the same, and that was what Angie Thomas wanted to get across in her book. I thought it was a great read, and anyone that is into that kind of stuff would like it.
BriennaiJ
Currently Reading: Island Games
Bookshelf Size: 42
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-briennaij.html
Latest Review: If Life Stinks, Get Your Head Outta Your But's by Mark L. Wdowiak

Post by BriennaiJ »

I loved the Hate U Give, and I read it twice in the past year. I definitely think that it is an important read, especially in these times.
Haute_Coffee
Currently Reading: Pimp
Bookshelf Size: 368
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-haute-coffee.html
Latest Review: A Stone of Hope by Janet S. Kleinman
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by Haute_Coffee »

I heard this is excellent. I think it will go on my massive wish list, waiting to be sent to my equally massive tbr pile :roll:
shamsagald

Post by shamsagald »

the hate you give is an amazing book to read!it inspires you that every person should stand up for their rights, and it show the racism that is going on in our world.they need to understand that color doesn't define who you are and that we are all equal!since the character Starr witnesses the death of her best friend khalil, she needs to speak for him to make a change in the world,activism. in the story the quoting of Tupac shakur is said the standing of thug-life,the hate you give little infants f's everybody"in the book her little brother sekani is the infant and he about to f everybody when he reaches out for the gun aiming at the king lord.
Lee-Ann20
Currently Reading: Lovely War
Bookshelf Size: 86
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-lee-ann20.html
Latest Review: Lingering Poets by Logan Lamech

Post by Lee-Ann20 »

Angie Thomas just came out with a new book "On the Come Up". It's about the struggles of young females in the rap world, but also a lot more going on underneath. Many of the same topics from "The Hate U Give" are explored in a different way in this book. I couldn't put it down!
tanchett
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 15
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-tanchett.html
Latest Review: The Dark Web Murders by Brian O'Hare

Post by tanchett »

This is definitely on my must read list. Has anyone watched the movie that was recently released?
colorsparkle
Currently Reading: Becoming
Bookshelf Size: 23
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-colorsparkle.html
Latest Review: The Land of Sunshine and Hell by Maxene Raices

Post by colorsparkle »

A while ago I started reading this book, but lost interest after one or two chapters. After it won overall book of the year on Goodreads, I decided it was time to see what all the hype was about. It really was a special book, after I gave it a chance.
Anna Sims
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 2

Post by Anna Sims »

I love the book!
Angie tries to pass across the aspect of equality. I mean everyone should be equal before the law.
Such a nice piece of work!
Books own me
Currently Reading: Aristotle and Dante discover the secrets of the universe
Bookshelf Size: 4

Post by Books own me »

Beautiful book. The hate u give shows how African Americans from lower class families are treated by the people in authority. Angie paints us a picture of the things we choose to ignore.
starkpages
Currently Reading: The Handmaid's Tale
Bookshelf Size: 316
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-starkpages.html
Latest Review: Killing Abel by Michael Tieman

Post by starkpages »

I loved this book! I read its epub version but I recently ordered a physical copy because it's definitely a book that I would reread. Its movie was also not a let down. It was as beautiful as the book. I cried so hard watching the movie.
iced_sunshine
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 27
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-iced-sunshine.html
Latest Review: Burn Zones by Jorge P. Newbery

Post by iced_sunshine »

I didn't particularly like The Hate U Give, I felt like the racism issue could have been handled better but that's just me being nitpicky. I am glad I read it though, it's definitely a one of a kind book.
Devika menon
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 10
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-devika-menon.html
Latest Review: Peppermint Mocha Murder by Pam Moll

Post by Devika menon »

I have wanted to read this book for a while. The overwhelming positive response makes me want to read this more! How different is the book from the movie?
Annony11

Post by Annony11 »

tanchett wrote: 01 May 2019, 07:17 This is definitely on my must read list. Has anyone watched the movie that was recently released?
I just saw the movie and was pleasantly surprised by how true to the book it was. It’s been a while since I read the book so they may have changed details but it definitely felt true to the essence of the book.
Amesthenerd
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 30
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-amesthenerd.html
Latest Review: Stranded In The Wild by Gary Rodriguez

Post by Amesthenerd »

As a white person, I felt like this book was really good for teaching people about police brutality. I really enjoyed this book and now I recommend this to other white people looking for books on this topic.
Barbie_sidhu
Currently Reading: Strong heart
Bookshelf Size: 84
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-barbie-sidhu.html
Latest Review: Kalayla by Jeannie Nicholas

Post by Barbie_sidhu »

I have been dying to read this book but can't get my hands on it due to the lock down situation.

Return to “Young Adult Fiction Books”