Official Review: TRUE Friendship with Girlfriends

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any young adult books.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
CataclysmicKnight
Favorite Book: Ready Player One
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 1693
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cataclysmicknight.html
Latest Review: Simple Man Simple Message by Mark Dobosz

Official Review: TRUE Friendship with Girlfriends

Post by CataclysmicKnight »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "TRUE Friendship with Girlfriends" by Licia Johnson.]
Book Cover
3 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Friendship is a tricky thing. Friendship, especially between best friends, is considered a relationship for a reason - just like any romantic relationship there are ups and downs as two different people go through life with one another. There's a reason I Love You, Man was able to take the concept of finding a friend and make it into a whole movie!

True Friendship with Girlfriends by Licia Johnson is all about the trials and tribulations of true friendship between two fictional girls, Aubrie and Kendra. Licia takes the time to create a bit of backstory for the two girls before putting them together when Aubrie is in desperate need of a friend. The two girls are fairly different: Aubrie is shy and comes from a well-off family that ended up moving from St. Louis to Chicago for a better job, so she's used to high end goods whereas the kind, outgoing Kendra is much more laid back and smart with her money. Aubrie is also very jealous of anyone else Kendra is friends with, which upsets Kendra since she's quick to make friends. As time goes on these differences, along with Aubrie's judging nature and pushy attitude create a rift between the two, but what will Kendra do about their friendship?

I was a little confused with this one when I first started. The book starts with a chapter called "Reflections" in which Kendra is in college commenting to someone about a girl named Sarah. However, while the book jumps back into the past a few paragraphs later to begin the story with Aubrie's childhood, Sarah doesn't exist in any of the rest of the book. The couple paragraphs about her are merely for effect - to show the dangers of judging a person by their looks. For a while the book then continues on with a narrative about Aubrie meeting Kendra and some of the difficulties that ensue from there, then the book flips to focusing on Kendra's side of things. In fact, the book jumps around fairly often - the third chapter starts off with Aubrie and Kendra in 8th grade, but literally two paragraphs later they're seniors in high school. At one point the book jumps ahead 20 years, but then after that it seems to jump back again without any warning, so I was often left wondering what point in their lives they were in.

As I read the book it quickly became apparent that the book is far more about highlighting the trials and tribulations friendships can go through than it is an actual narrative. The book frequently presents difficulties in the friendship between Kendra and Aubrie, but it also focuses on smaller friendships and even just relationships between coworkers. Themes include being true to yourself, how one can't possibly love someone else if they don't love themselves, honesty, the terrible ways some women treat other women and trusting in God (religion is quite present throughout the book, but never in a pushy or obnoxious way). However, these themes are often shown through jumping between teachable moments rather than in one solid, chronological story. These moments are quick and not very detailed; the entire book is less than 80 pages and those pages went by in a flash!

Perhaps worst of all, though, is that these characters really don't have much of a personality. I even had to re-read a few sections to make sure I read things properly - one of the first warning signs that Aubrie and Kendra's friendship is in trouble is when Aubrie gets in trouble for talking on her phone before her homework is done and asks Kendra to only call her on Fridays and weekends. However, a few pages later it's said that "Aubrie and Kendra hung out all the time and talked on the phone almost every day." Also, in one scene Aubrie is upset because she asks Kendra if her breath stinks and she says no to avoid confrontation, but eventually says "a little bit". Aubrie points out that if Kendra can't even be honest about her breath being bad, they can't possibly be very good friends. Kendra seems a bit confused as to why this upsets her. Later on in the book, Kendra writes in her journal that "Real, true friends are honest about everything, I think. They don't worry about hurting your feelings." Even just making a reference in this journal entry that she now understands why Aubrie was upset would've been a really solid touch and could have shown personal growth. There are also some good questions at the end of the book that reflect on the friendship in the book and encourage the reader to reflect on their own friendships. If these were present throughout more of the book they would've been even better, but it's a nice touch at the end of the book as it is.

These journal entries were a great touch, but they're barely used. Really I feel like the book would've been much better as one chronological narrative with Kendra making notes about the lessons she learns in her journal. As it is, we're shown a childhood friendship that extends into middle age, as well as various other relationships. We're shown both girls in relationships with men and even some work and school relationships in addition to shorter, more brief friendships. Some of these make for great lessons, such as a female coworker who is very nice to male coworkers but mean to female coworkers or the effects of jealousy, insecurities and comparing oneself to others. Overall this was an okay book with a lot of potential, and I found only a couple very minor grammatical errors (both of which were double punctuation, such as "Okay, Kendra., Bye."). I'd rate the book 2.5 stars if I could, but I really think this book could teach people - especially teens and people in their early 20s - about friendship before they've given too much of their life to changing who they are or put up with things they shouldn't have to to keep a friendship alive. As such, I'm rating True Friendship with Girlfriends 3 out of 4 stars. I feel secure in recommending it to anyone who is currently putting up with a bad friendship, who wonders if there's something wrong with them due to a bad friendship or anyone who has had questionable friendships in the past.

TRUE Friendship with Girlfriends
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Like CataclysmicKnight's review? Post a comment saying so!
Nothing is true, everything is permitted.
kandscreeley
Special Discussion Leader
Currently Reading: The Door Within
Bookshelf Size: 487
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kandscreeley.html
Latest Review: The Elf Revelation by Jordan David

Post by kandscreeley »

I dislike that the characters didn't have much personality, but it still seems like there was a lot to enjoy. Thanks.
A book is a dream you hold in your hands.
—Neil Gaiman
NL Hartje
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Book: Kushiel's Dart
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 385
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nl-hartje.html
Latest Review: Looking forward as the Journey continues by George Mills

Post by NL Hartje »

CataclysmicKnight wrote: 23 Mar 2018, 23:57 There's a reason I Love You, Man was able to take the concept of finding a friend and make it into a whole movie!
You had me at I Love You, Man. That was a perfect comparison to help me understand this book! Thank you! :tiphat:
“So the writer who breeds more words than he needs, is making a chore for the reader who reads.”
-Dr. Seuss
Sahani Nimandra
Favorite Book: Harry Potter and The Sorceress Stone
Currently Reading: Man of the World
Bookshelf Size: 698
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sahani-nimandra.html
Latest Review: I once had a Farm in Ireland by Siggy Buckley
Reading Device: Huawei

Post by Sahani Nimandra »

Characters have a lot to contribute in making a story successful it is such a sad thing to see that there is no characters development. Thank you for sharing your descriptive review and the story!
The person, be it gentleman or lady, who has not pleasure in a good novel, must be intolerably stupid! - Jane Austen :techie-studyingbrown:
[Valerie Allen]
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 776
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-valerie-allen.html
Latest Review: Utopia Project by Billy Dering

Post by [Valerie Allen] »

I certainly pass on this book... Not too mention, the spoilers alerts really caused lack of interest.
And another book was opened, which is the Book of Life. (Revelation 20:12 (NKJV) :reading-7:
Libs_Books
Favorite Book: The year of the flood
Currently Reading: Mason Dixon
Bookshelf Size: 273
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-libs-books.html
Latest Review: Dont Panic Its Organic by Dr. Andy Lopez

Post by Libs_Books »

It sounds as though you've been quite generous with your rating, but maybe you feel the book offers wisdom and insight which compensate for its flaws.
holsam_87
Currently Reading: The Unbound Soul
Bookshelf Size: 1691
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-holsam-87.html
Latest Review: Herai by Aaron D Key
Reading Device: B00IKPYKWG

Post by holsam_87 »

This sounds like a great book with lots of potential. I think that I will recommend it to my local school librarians since this would apply to girls and young women aged 10 and up.
Samantha Holtsclaw

“We’ve all got both light and dark inside us. What matters is the part we choose to act on. That’s who we really are.”

—J. K. Rowling, Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix
Latest Review: Herai by Aaron D Key
Eileen R
In It Together VIP
Favorite Book: Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows
Currently Reading: Toni the Superhero
Bookshelf Size: 45
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-eileen-r.html
Latest Review: Manifesto for a Cancer Patient by Colleen Huber, NMD

Post by Eileen R »

It's a pity that the characters are not appealing. I wish that the author would have spent more time on the characters. Thanks for the review but I don't think it's for me.
bnoy
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 5
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bnoy.html
Latest Review: Devilish by Tricia Barr

Post by bnoy »

Great opening paragraph, it really hooked me in. It's a shame about the characters and jumps in time because the plot has such great potential.
Jackie Holycross
Currently Reading: The 7 Experiment
Bookshelf Size: 306
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-teacherjh.html
Latest Review: 20 World Religions and Faith Practices by Robyn Lebron

Post by Jackie Holycross »

My daughter loves books about friends. This might be a good fit for her.
Kendra M Parker
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 421
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kendra-m-parker.html
Latest Review: Requiem, Changing Times by RJ Parker
Reading Device: B00GDQDRPK

Post by Kendra M Parker »

I’m impressed that the author was able to cram all of that into a mere 80 pages. Those are some hard lessons that the author was trying to teach.

Return to “Young Adult Fiction Books”