Official Review: Confused by Sandy Lardinois (S. O. Nelson)

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any young adult books.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Jude Austin
Favorite Book:
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 33
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jude-austin.html
Latest Review: The Palm Reader by Christopher Bowron

Official Review: Confused by Sandy Lardinois (S. O. Nelson)

Post by Jude Austin »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Confused" by Sandy Lardinois (S. O. Nelson).]
Book Cover
2 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Confusion by Sandy Lardinois (S. O. Nelson) is a book designed to explore themes such as bullying, child abuse and rape through a narrative told by two alternating main characters: Paxton and Maya. As someone who experienced bullying in school, I knew I had to check this book out as soon as I read the blurb. Based on the blurb in question and the warning about sensitive topics at the very beginning, I was expecting a dark, gritty realistic story.

Unfortunately, what I got was very short chapters and shallow characters who kind of wander through the story with no real emotional involvement on the reader's part. After being assaulted in the locker room at school, Paxton not only has to deal with the aftermath, but also has to battle his demons and try to find the strength to testify against his attackers. There's another character – Dori – who suffers from sexual abuse by a family member, but this is handled in a very rushed way, as if the author felt like they had to get it in quickly before the end of the book.

For the most part, however, the characters are shallow stereotypes. This isn't necessarily a bad thing for the 'teach by story' method where deep characterization isn't so much of a necessity, but if we as the reader don't relate to the characters, we're not likely to care what happens to them. The heartless father is too heartless, although he does redeem himself toward the end. The sadistic jock bully is too sadistic.

The voices of the main characters are distinct but come across as far too young. I thought I was reading about kids who were eleven or twelve until Maya started talking about getting her driver's license "in time to drive to a concert next month".

The short chapters make the story feel very rushed. The scene where some of the boys gang up on the main character Paxton with a broom handle comes completely out of left field; we never have any indication that they've done anything on this level before. However, this single – admittedly terrible – assault is all it takes for Paxton to run the emotional gamut from thoughts of suicide, to buying a gun and shooting the bullies, to realizing that if push came to shove he would never have the guts to go through with it. Paxton's reaction and the depiction of the mental and emotional aftermath to such an event is done well, as is Maya's frustration at being unable to help him, and later Dori.

There are a lot of contrived coincidences such as other people just happening to reveal they've been through something similar at the crucial moment, but to a certain extent, I can overlook that as this book was written specifically to explore these issues. The dialog is equally stilted and contrived at these times but again, in this type of book that isn't too much of a problem. "It helps to share that hateful experience with someone who understands and doesn’t condemn me" doesn't strike me as a natural way for a teenage girl to speak, but the message is absolutely valid. The text also takes the opportunity to emphasize several times that rape and abuse are never the victim's fault, which is equally good.

However, the final message that abuse is a cycle and that abused people often go on to abuse others is shoehorned into a very short chapter, which doesn't work all that well.

I didn't notice any glaring errors in spelling, grammar or punctuation and the book is short and easy to read. The very end of the book has help lines and excellent advice for those people who might find themselves in similar situations, so I would rate this a solid 2 out of 4 stars.

Confused
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Like JudasFm's review? Post a comment saying so!
mariettav
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 18
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mariettav.html
Latest Review: Keys to Tetouan by Mois Benarroch

Post by mariettav »

Thank you for the review. I guess abuse is a difficult topic to write about, and I appreciate that your review is critical and still recognizes the strength of the book. I would like to read this book - I work with traumatised children and anything that can give me more knowledge or perspective on this subject is welcome!
Jude Austin
Favorite Book:
Currently Reading:

Post by Jude Austin »

mariettav wrote: 24 Mar 2018, 18:33 Thank you for the review. I guess abuse is a difficult topic to write about, and I appreciate that your review is critical and still recognizes the strength of the book. I would like to read this book - I work with traumatised children and anything that can give me more knowledge or perspective on this subject is welcome!
Thank you for your comment :) There are parts where the book does a good job of showing what's going on (the 'bubble' theory in particular is very well done) so yes, I think it would be helpful to anyone working in this area.
[Valerie Allen]
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 776
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-valerie-allen.html
Latest Review: Utopia Project by Billy Dering

Post by [Valerie Allen] »

That's too bad! I thought this would be a good one to read. And the spoiler alerts did not assist.
And another book was opened, which is the Book of Life. (Revelation 20:12 (NKJV) :reading-7:
Jude Austin
Favorite Book:
Currently Reading:

Post by Jude Austin »

ValBookReviews wrote: 27 Mar 2018, 09:29 That's too bad! I thought this would be a good one to read. And the spoiler alerts did not assist.
Thank you for your comment. The book had a lot of potential and made some very good points. It just could have been done a whole lot better if the writer had taken the time to develop things.
[Valerie Allen]
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 776
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-valerie-allen.html
Latest Review: Utopia Project by Billy Dering

Post by [Valerie Allen] »

Thank you for candid reply. I certainly understand! And thank you for the helpful hints.
And another book was opened, which is the Book of Life. (Revelation 20:12 (NKJV) :reading-7:
María Andrea Fernández Sepúlveda
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Author: Kristin Hannah
Favorite Book: The Nightingale
Currently Reading: People we meet on vacation
Bookshelf Size: 2398
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mar-a-andrea-fern-ndez-sep-lveda.html
Latest Review: You Say Goodbye by Keith Steinbaum
fav_author_id: 5604

Post by María Andrea Fernández Sepúlveda »

I appreciate very much the honesty and the deep analysis of your review. These are, definitely, important topics that we as a society need to explore and understand in order to solve. However, it's hard to accomplish empathy and rapport if the characters are not well developed and the dialogues are unnatural. I can appreciate the author's good intentions though and I'm glad the advice and resources are offered.
Alice Heritage
Review Team Guidelines Team Leader
Favorite Author: Wilkie Collins
Favorite Book: Wuthering Heights
Currently Reading: 50 Masterpieces of Gothic Fiction
Bookshelf Size: 379
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-alice-heritage.html
Latest Review: Dissonance by Aaron Ryan
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU
Publishing Contest Votes: 1
fav_author_id: 1
Signature Addition: Mod

Post by Alice Heritage »

You packed a lot of information into a thorough review! The messages are clearly vital, but apparently not wrapped in a very pleasing fictional package. I also think the "cycle of abuse" thing is questionable - more recent research indicates that bullies are not necessarily victims themselves, and not all victims go on to become abusers.
This post was brought to you by the word "specifically".
Mod
Espie
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Book: Behind the Barbed Wire Fence
Currently Reading: Noah's Quest
Bookshelf Size: 118
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-espie.html
Latest Review: Why Me: Trash Collector, Mental Issues by Nikolay N Bey

Post by Espie »

Bullying is never good, as what I would always say. They even say bullies, more often than not, had been bullied by others earlier in their lives, too. There are others who have turned the negative experiences into positivity and a motivation to move on and conquer more odds towards success. For those ones who are yet to recover, we'd never know what effects that a detailed description of the matter could mean. If a writer is writing based on experience, I won't wonder if telltale signs of repression continue to exist. Thank you for your honest review.
"Life has many different chapters for us. One bad chapter doesn't mean it's the end of the book."-Unknown
"To err is human; to forgive, divine."-Alexander Pope
"Put GOD first; He'll bless your efforts with success."-Proverbs
Yvonne Monique
Favorite Book: To Sleep in a Sea of Stars
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 102
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-yvonne-monique.html
Latest Review: Healing Depression by C. Daley

Post by Yvonne Monique »

This is a serious topic and it's a pity that the book left you dissatisfied.

Return to “Young Adult Fiction Books”