Official Review: Underlord of the Netherworld

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any young adult books.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Poppy Drear
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 147
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-poppy-drear.html
Latest Review: Five of Pentacles by Anna Munson

Official Review: Underlord of the Netherworld

Post by Poppy Drear »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Underlord of the Netherworld" by Juna Jinsei.]
Book Cover
2 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Underlord of the Netherworld by Juna Jinsei is a spin-off of Peter Pan that takes place in Neverland. Other than its setting and the inclusion of a few notable characters, it actually has very little to do with the original classic novel, though the fact that it is is the second book in a series may be to blame for this. The story follows a variety of characters, including twin princes Wochi and Reichi, tribe leader Chief Najoshi, and the warrior Khwam Glaohán. They must all work together to defend their home from the Malomen, a territorial and extremely violent race of shark people.

Because of the large number of characters in the novel, I found it difficult to form an attachment to any of them. Despite the fact that this book is a sequel, few characters seemed to show any distinguishing characteristics. Some parts of the book felt disorganized and irrelevant to the plot, particularly when Kuthanda and Dobráta project their spirits to another planet with the intent of saving an alien race from a devastating explosion. If this seems bewildering now, it's not much better in the book itself.

The battles fought between the Malomen and the residents of the island feel rather inconsequential. Despite many people dying, I wasn't given the chance to understand how the characters felt during the fighting and carnage, so the violence became routine within the story. Most of the narrative is focused on simply describing events, instead of implementing sensory details and emotions to draw the reader into the action.

Mechanistically, the writing is bland, with a significant number of minor grammatical errors. The dialogue is uninteresting, but it's not distractingly awful. Particularly in the beginning of the book, some characters say things that their conversation partners should already know, which serves as clumsy exposition. The plot of the novel is relatively sound, though, and it was full of twists and turns that somewhat made up for the lack of character development. I was surprised by how little it actually had to do with the titular Underlord.

I rate Underlord of the Netherworld 2 out of 4 stars. It certainly wasn't an awful book, but I have a hard time giving it an emphatic recommendation, due to its forgettable characters and poorly organized narrative. I'd recommend it to people who enjoy fantasy battles and simple, easy to digest moral lessons. Since there was nothing particularly inappropriate besides some moderate violence and death, this book would be a good fit for younger children with an interest in fantasy novels. I wouldn't recommend it to anyone looking for an adventure inspired by Peter Pan, or anyone with little patience for underdeveloped characters.

Underlord of the Netherworld
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Like ViziVoir's review? Post a comment saying so!
kandscreeley
Special Discussion Leader
Currently Reading: The Door Within
Bookshelf Size: 487
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kandscreeley.html
Latest Review: The Elf Revelation by Jordan David

Post by kandscreeley »

I definitely didn't see that this would be a spin off of Peter Pan from the cover and title. It's too bad it didn't really have much to do with Peter Pan. That along with the bland characters and somewhat off narrative makes me think I'll be skipping this one. Sorry this wasn't quite enjoyable. Hopefully the next book will be better.
A book is a dream you hold in your hands.
—Neil Gaiman
Manang Muyang
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Book:
Currently Reading: Donny and Mary Grace's California Adventures
Bookshelf Size: 686
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-manang-muyang.html
Latest Review: Your Great Name by Shawn Funk
Reading Device: B00KC6I06S

Post by Manang Muyang »

The cover is something I wouldn't recommend to young adult readers. I do not see a shadow of Peter Pan in there, either. In fact, I feel this book has more in common with Poe's "Nevermore" than the childhood fantasy world of "Neverland." Carnage is definitely not young adult material for me.

I wonder whether the first book in the series fared better.

Thanks for the review, ViziVoir. The book must have tested your patience.
Nanig83006
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 44
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nanig83006.html
Latest Review: Apollo's Raven by Linnea Tanner

Post by Nanig83006 »

While Underlord of the Netherworld sounds like a decent action/adventure story, the last thing I expected it to be about is a Peter Pan retelling with little to do on the original tale. I love Peter Pan and I would have been excited to read this, but the fact that it isn't exactly about the classic, I'll have to pass on this. It also doesn't feel appropriately categorized because the novel makes me think paranormal romance than it does young adult. Maybe I'll read the first in the series, but this doesn't seem to pique my interest. Thank you for the thorough review, Vizivior. (:
DancingLady
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 108
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-dancinglady.html
Latest Review: Believe What You Want To Believe by Alicia Kristine and George Williams

Post by DancingLady »

Based on the cover picture, I am surprised this is even remotely appropriate for minors. But honestly, I don’t think poor quality books hold the interest of younger reader any more than adults. If you are capable of having an in depth conversation, you can tell when the dialogue is dull or unnatural.
Bianka Walter
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Book: The Old Man and the Sea
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 368
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bianka-walter.html
Latest Review: Thir13en by Keegan Nielsen
Reading Device: B06XD5YCKX

Post by Bianka Walter »

Any book that's lacking in storyline is immediately picked up with developed characters. It's a pity when you can't form attachments to anyone in the book, and it makes it a forgettable read. What a shame! Thanks for the review!
You can find magic wherever you look. Sit back and relax, all you need is a book.
- Dr. Seuss
Eileen R
In It Together VIP
Favorite Book: Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows
Currently Reading: Toni the Superhero
Bookshelf Size: 45
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-eileen-r.html
Latest Review: Manifesto for a Cancer Patient by Colleen Huber, NMD

Post by Eileen R »

It's a pity that the book didn't meet expectations. Thanks for the review though.
Jackie Holycross
Currently Reading: The 7 Experiment
Bookshelf Size: 306
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-teacherjh.html
Latest Review: 20 World Religions and Faith Practices by Robyn Lebron

Post by Jackie Holycross »

I tend to get lost in books with multiple battle scenes as well. The character development is much more important to me. Thanks for the information.
Tzara Drusak
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 58
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-tzara-drusak.html
Latest Review: Happy Healing by Dominique Bourlet

Post by Tzara Drusak »

I've been reading a lot of books with the issue of too much characters. It feels as though the authors are attempting to insert additional people in the books in order to make up for the lack of substance. What happens is exactly what you've mentioned in the review - they're so many characters you don't know whose perspective you should be focusing on. The authors try to introduce many characters and tell their story but inadvertently turn readers off.
And in the end, we were all just humans... Drunk on the idea that love, only love, could heal our brokenness.

-F. Scott Fitzgerald-

Return to “Young Adult Fiction Books”