Harry Potter And The Half Blood Prince

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any young adult books.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
WillowStarSerenity
Currently Reading: Loved
Bookshelf Size: 18
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-willowstarserenity.html
Latest Review: Apollo's Raven by Linnea Tanner

Harry Potter And The Half Blood Prince

Post by WillowStarSerenity »

With the Ministry forced to accept that Voldemort is back, the attacks start becoming more and more public. Fudge is removed from his position replaced by the head of Aurors. Harry is struggling to deal with this and the death of someone he has grown to care about. Going into his sixth year, he discovers that he will be taking private lessons with Dumbledore. Lessons that will help him with the prophecy.

There were many parts of this book that I sped read through because they were just so difficult. I will not say what and when because I don't want to spoil things. I do feel that this book is one of the darker books in the series. It definitely hit me in the feels many times over.

I love the plot of this book. I've loved the plot of the entire series. I feel like as the series has progressed the mood has gotten darker. I often wondered why it didn't start that way. I think I somewhat get it now. She wanted to get us submerged into the world and used to it. She highlighted the dark undertones and then brought them out more as you were familiar with the world.

The characters are amazing. I love them all. I wish certain characters had had a bigger part in this book because I've grown so attached to them. I'm sure it would have interrupted the flow of the story though. I'm glad they have had parts at all. They definitely added character to the story.

Like the first five books, I give this book a full five-star rating. This is and will always be one of my favorite series of all times. I get so into this world it's insane. I am sure this will not be the last time I read this book. It wasn't my first. There's a part of me that wishes that there was a spin-off series or five of this, but I'm content with just re-reading.
Maiaazm
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by Maiaazm »

Spoiler
JK rowling as usual has created a marvel. Harry potter and the half blood prince is no less than the other parts. But it's one of the saddest parts to me as dumbledoor will pass on and hell will break loose. It's interesting, heartbreaking & perfect.
WillowStarSerenity

I completely agree!
VictoriaMcMillen
Currently Reading: When Angels Play Poker
Bookshelf Size: 49
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-victoriamcmillen.html
Latest Review: The Making Of A Soldier by Adriene Odom

Post by VictoriaMcMillen »

Thank you for your review. I have read the series and now my son is starting to. I liked your insight on ever coming darkness to the series. I believe that it would naturally occur in anyone life. Once we pass through childhood, we begin to see and understand more of the darker things in this world; that we may have been sheltered from during childhood. Good point to bring up!
~Victoria M.L. McMillen

"You can, you should, and if you are brave enough to start, you will." Stephen King
WillowStarSerenity

I definitely agree with you Victoria. I was amazed at how I didn't notice it the first time around but it was very clear the second time around. Guess that just proves why some books are worth reading more than once! :) Hope your son enjoys the series!
Helenjoy
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by Helenjoy »

I love this book! It is just amazing! The title, first of all made me very curious as to who this so called " Half Blood Prince" was. I have to read some of the chapters again and then I got it! J.K. Rowling has made magic with all the twists and turns. And honestly, i'll never get tired of reading this book many times over.
Jude Austin
Favorite Book:
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 33
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jude-austin.html
Latest Review: The Palm Reader by Christopher Bowron

Post by Jude Austin »

I agree. This and Prisoner of Azkaban are my two favorites out of the whole series!
nikkyteewhy
Favorite Author: James Patterson
Currently Reading: Dues
Bookshelf Size: 122
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nikkyteewhy.html
Latest Review: Gringo by Dan "Tito" Davis
fav_author_id: 3251

Post by nikkyteewhy »

I was so sad about the events that happened in this book.
dtb
Currently Reading: A Darker Shade of Magic
Bookshelf Size: 42
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-dtb.html
Latest Review: Four Funny Potatoes! by Len Foley
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by dtb »

I love how this series seems to "mature" along with the readers. Each book is a little bit harder and darker with themes that are developed for an older reader. I will always be reading the Harry Potter books.
Amy+++
Favorite Book: The Mister
Currently Reading: Last Chance Cafe
Bookshelf Size: 218
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-amy.html
Latest Review: The Chauvinist's Guide to Modern Romance by Morris Rollins
Reading Device: B01CRGNO4S

Post by Amy+++ »

Love the series! It just continued to get better with this one! J. K. Rowling really knows what she is doing, and she knows how to keep an audience interested.
Mely918
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 39
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mely918.html
Latest Review: I'm Going to Kill that Cat by F. Della Notte

Post by Mely918 »

The Half-Blood Prince was actually my least favorite of the Harry Potter series. It's still a better book than most others out there, but as far as Harry Potter books go it was J.K. Rowling's best work.
Vscholz
Currently Reading: Harry Potter and the Philosopher's Stone
Bookshelf Size: 816
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-vscholz.html
Latest Review: Primrose’s Curse by Kiara Shankar, Vinay Shankar
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by Vscholz »

My favorite part of this book is that it goes more in-depth into Tom Riddle's past. Most everyone views that scene as tragic, but Riddle's entire story begins with tragedy. I'm not saying I think he was a good person, but there were forces in play prior to his birth that set him on his course. It's heartbreaking.
As for you & your heart & the things you said & didn't say, she will remember them all when men are fairy tales in books written by rabbits. (Schmendrick the Magician)
Melissa Breen
Currently Reading: World War Z
Bookshelf Size: 34
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-melissa-breen.html
Latest Review: We are Voulhire: Someone Else's End by Matthew Tysz

Post by Melissa Breen »

Yes, I love how its both the darkest book but also the most lighthearted in a way. Harry is dealing with so much grief and pain but there's also more humour and love in this book than the others.
mariana90
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 30
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mariana90.html
Latest Review: Zonas de quema by Jorge P. Newbery
Reading Device: B00L89V1AA

Post by mariana90 »

WillowStarSerenity wrote: 13 Mar 2018, 00:14 I do feel that this book is one of the darker books in the series.
The books are evolving as Harry grows up. They all had tough moments, but as the story progresses, the stakes become so much higher. Voldemort returning and gathering his Death Eaters is the ultimate threat.
dorebri2020
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 25
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-dorebri2020.html
Latest Review: Island Games by Caleb J. Boyer

Post by dorebri2020 »

This book is, in my opinion, the darkest book. There are certainly fewer traces of the humor that Rowling normally puts in her novels, and the topics can be harsh or dramatic. However, it is one of my favorites.
"Happiness can be found, even in the darkest of times, if one only remembers to turn on the light."- J.K. Rowling. :D

Return to “Young Adult Fiction Books”