Official Review: The Key of F by Jennifer Haskin

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any young adult books.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Mary Garrison
Currently Reading: The Hiding Place
Bookshelf Size: 78
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mary-garrison.html
Latest Review: Doctoroo & the Case of the Hacking Hippo by Dr. Rachel B. Wellner

Official Review: The Key of F by Jennifer Haskin

Post by Mary Garrison »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "The Key of F" by Jennifer Haskin.]
Book Cover
3 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

The Key of F is the first book in the The Freedom Fight Trilogy. It is a fantasy that begins with a couple of friends and their life starting college. Fale is one of the main characters who becomes an orphan at 8 years of age and is in training to become a Takanori warrior. She starts having disturbing visions about a war, as well as events that are about to happen when she turns 18. Through these visions and with the help of her friends, she discovers that the reality of her life is way different than she knew. Eventually, she learns that she is a princess and her people are locked away in a different realm, where they are turned into robotic soldiers. Not knowing who to trust anymore, she turns to her friends to acquire answers and keep each other safe. Together they discover that she is the only one with a key to the machine that will transfer her to the realm of her people, but with no ideas of where to find it the hunt begins. So much is happening in this fast pace story, it contains romance, magic, adventure, fighting, and more.

The romance that comes to light between Fale and Keron is definitely heartwarming. Keron is fantocci who has already turned her down once, so she is always self conscious about his feelings toward her. A fantocci is a person who has robotic limbs, they become slaves to pay for the cost of the surgery it takes to receive the limbs. The way her friends come together sacrificing their own safety and way of life to protect her is fascinating. The twist and turns brought out in the story kept me excited and unable to stop reading. Furthermore, the descriptive details the author used left me feeling the love, pain, embarrassment, shame and pride along with the characters.

There were a few minor editing mistakes, but they didn’t distract me from the story. If I wasn’t obligated to document them, I would have read right past them. I felt like a different picture on the cover would draw more attention to the book. While it depicted what was happening in the story fine, they were just not the characters I envisioned in my mind while I was reading. Of course that is only a personal opinion and others might disagree.

I rated this book 3 out of 4 stars as a result of the few editing mistakes. Although, I honestly couldn’t put it down and can’t wait to start the next book in the series. Please don’t let the minus of one star deter you from reading this book. As I mentioned before, the mistakes were few and simple to read past, mainly consisting of misplaced or missing words.

I recommend this book for young adults and older. There are themes of violence, romance, and alcohol, that render it inappropriate for younger children. However, the themes in the story don’t seem to be too overpowering, it just touches on them and never goes into great detail. Anyone who enjoys an intriguing fantasy with these various themes and people who are part robots will love this story. This is definitely not a stand-alone story as it ends with many unanswered questions, so I definitely recommend reading the whole trilogy.

The Key of F
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Like Mjgarrison's review? Post a comment saying so!

Return to “Young Adult Fiction Books”