Official Review: Get It Together by Scott Paly

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any young adult books.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Kelebogile Mbangi
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 123
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kelebogile-mbangi.html
Latest Review: At Day's End, I'll Always Be Me by Jerry A. Greenberg

Official Review: Get It Together by Scott Paly

Post by Kelebogile Mbangi »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Get It Together" by Scott Paly.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

What is involved in being a well-rounded, successful adult? Get It Together is a nonfiction book by Scott Paly, and it answers this crucial question. The book is a guide for young people aged between 16 and 30. It covers a vast array of subjects, like how to prepare for college, how to find and keep a job, managing your finances, and so much more. It is only a 139 pages long; thus, the focus is mainly on imparting knowledge that the average adolescent or young adult lacks due to inexperience.

The book is divided into four major parts. The first part examines the culture and attributes that set America apart and made it exceptional. It then takes those attributes and redirects them to the reader, showing how applying them will benefit you. The second part is about building a solid foundation by obtaining a college degree and finding (as well as keeping) a job. The importance of obtaining a college degree is discussed. Advice is given on how to prepare for college and how to finance it. Practical steps and pointers are given about job interviews and how to be a good employee once you've actually gotten the job. The third part is about finances. Some basic concepts are explained, like interest, credit scores, and collateral. The book then explores bank accounts, credit cards, insurance, taxes, and the importance of saving. The fourth part is about daily living. It covers topics like how to cook, how to get your laundry done, finding accommodation, and more.

After reading the above summary, you may be feeling overwhelmed by the amount of information presented in the book - don't! The author took pains to write the book in a relatable manner, often giving simple, written illustrations to drive home certain points. He goes as far as using language and diction that young people will feel comfort with. Yes, the author had his intended audience in mind when writing this book. As a result, it was a breeze to read, allowing me to focus on the helpful content and how I can apply it.

The author also assists readers to think deeply about the advice given by using the recurring subheading: "Why you should care?" Where he helps readers to reason on the underlying factors, and how that piece of advice can affect you. This subheading was found at the end of most sections.

I liked that the book is geared towards character building. The author mentions that luck has very little to do with success. He gives the example of lottery winners, many file for bankruptcy a few years after winning. Really, true success is attained through building good habits. After reading about all the author's accomplishments at the end of the book, I felt that he is in fact in a good position to have written this book. As a young adult, how could I possibly be expected to take advice from someone who isn't successful?

As I am sure you have already deduced from the rest of this review, I am going to rate this book 4 out of 4 stars! I enjoyed the practical advice, the interactive exercises, and all the information I gained from it. Most of all, I am appreciative that the book actually directs readers to helpful sites. I recommended it to all those starting out in life, teenagers, and young adults. Take the effort to read this book. You will not regret it!

Get It Together
View: on Bookshelves

Like Kelebogile Mbangi's review? Post a comment saying so!
"And will you succeed?
Yes! You will, indeed!
(98 and 3/4 percent guaranteed.)
KID, YOU'LL MOVE MOUNTAINS!" - Dr. Seuss
Bizcute
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by Bizcute »

I found it motivatvational and encouraging
Cristina Chifane
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Book: The Magic Mountain
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 898
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cristina-chifane.html
Latest Review: The Fold by Dennis Lee
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by Cristina Chifane »

It sounds like a book I should have read when I was a young adult. Maybe I would have done things differently and ended up a billionaire. :) Just joking. Yes, it may help young people to get it together. Thank you for your review!
"The madness of writing is the antidote to true madness." (Hanif Kureishi)
Latest Review: The Fold by Dennis Lee
Kelebogile Mbangi
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 123
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kelebogile-mbangi.html
Latest Review: At Day's End, I'll Always Be Me by Jerry A. Greenberg

Post by Kelebogile Mbangi »

cristinaro wrote: 06 Mar 2018, 05:47 It sounds like a book I should have read when I was a young adult. Maybe I would have done things differently and ended up a billionaire. :) Just joking. Yes, it may help young people to get it together. Thank you for your review!
Lol wouldn't that have been nice! But its never too late to use the advice presented in the book. :)
"And will you succeed?
Yes! You will, indeed!
(98 and 3/4 percent guaranteed.)
KID, YOU'LL MOVE MOUNTAINS!" - Dr. Seuss
kandscreeley
Special Discussion Leader
Currently Reading: Believarexic
Bookshelf Size: 486
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kandscreeley.html
Latest Review: The Elf Revelation by Jordan David

Post by kandscreeley »

I think sometimes a lot of this information is overlooked when raising or educating kids. Somehow they have to figure it out on their own. Sounds like a great book for those just starting out on their own! Thanks for the information. I think I'm passed this age, but it sounds great for others.
A book is a dream you hold in your hands.
—Neil Gaiman
KitabuKizuri
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 113
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kitabukizuri.html
Latest Review: Mysteries Of the First Instant by Daniel Friedmann

Post by KitabuKizuri »

This review makes me want to read this book like ages ago, good work!
Peta2017
Currently Reading: The Reel Sisters
Bookshelf Size: 16
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-peta2017.html
Latest Review: Heartaches by H.M. Irwing

Post by Peta2017 »

Definitely planning to add this to my 'to read shelf'. I love inspirational books.
vanessaonelove
Currently Reading: A Return to Love
Bookshelf Size: 25
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-vanessaonelove.html
Latest Review: The 11.05 Murders by Brian O'Hare
Reading Device: B013EX0QM6

Post by vanessaonelove »

Is it too late to read the book if you are over 30 years old? Sounds like a fabulous and very useful book, the kind of book you wish you had read when you were growing up. As a parent it is also the kind of book i would definitely get my 20 year old child. I really feel that school should cover some of these topics as they are certainly more critical than the dates of WWII (as much as I love that war lol). Question for Kelobogile: Does it apply for South African culture and background? Thanks for a great review.
dorcas rono

Post by dorcas rono »

Having gone through the review, I think it may be of good help to me as I have just graduated some months ago...
Voke98
Currently Reading: Murder at Broadcast Park
Bookshelf Size: 5

Post by Voke98 »

:D Nice work it realy motive and encouraging its make me eager to read frequency as tym moves
Sahani Nimandra
Favorite Book: Harry Potter and The Sorceress Stone
Currently Reading: Man of the World
Bookshelf Size: 698
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sahani-nimandra.html
Latest Review: I once had a Farm in Ireland by Siggy Buckley
Reading Device: Huawei

Post by Sahani Nimandra »

Seems a book that has lot to offer and since I am of this age category I think I will look into it my self! Thanks
The person, be it gentleman or lady, who has not pleasure in a good novel, must be intolerably stupid! - Jane Austen :techie-studyingbrown:
ostercl
Currently Reading: Horse Soldiers
Bookshelf Size: 11
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ostercl.html
Latest Review: Final Notice by Van Fleisher

Post by ostercl »

A book like this may just be the kick in the pants I need to get my life together. Thank you for taking the time to review this!
vinodsai
Currently Reading: From Drift to SHIFT
Bookshelf Size: 299

Post by vinodsai »

This book is educational, and informative. There are many good topics for young adults to learn like how to prepare for college, manage finances, and how to get a job.
uchebest24

Post by uchebest24 »

The book is Nice and important for every adults.thanks for the Review
Jkhorner
Currently Reading: The Sword Swallower and a Chico Kid
Bookshelf Size: 421
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jkhorner.html
Latest Review: The Stipulations of the New Covenant by Ralph E. Bass, Jr.

Post by Jkhorner »

This sounds like a book for those smart kids in high school who were never asked to take a basic home economics or consumer's math class. I love that it emphasizes character and thinking through your actions! Your review was a delight to read; thank you for your thoroughness and recommendation!

Return to “Young Adult Fiction Books”