Has recent dystopian fiction prepared students to speak out?

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any young adult books.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Katiemhardy813
Currently Reading: The Martian
Bookshelf Size: 37
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-katiemhardy813.html
Latest Review: Heartaches 3 by H.M. Irwing

Has recent dystopian fiction prepared students to speak out?

Post by Katiemhardy813 »

I am amazed and so proud of something someone just said: all of the dystopian fiction with strong female leads have prepared our kids to speak up about where they stand on recent events. That fiction prepared them. How awesome is that?! I know it's a strong take - anyone agree? Or disagree?
brunettebiblio
Currently Reading: Final Notice
Bookshelf Size: 13
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-brunettebiblio.html
Latest Review: Becoming the Dragon by Alex Sapegin

Post by brunettebiblio »

I can definitely see that. So many stories now a days are about normal teenagers changing/saving the world, just by being themselves. I think some of the latest popular reads definitely could have been a catalyst to encourage young adults to take action when they see an injustice rather than just sit back and watch things unfold.

I tell my husband all the time that dystopian fiction is preparing me for what's happening to the world...for a while it was a joke, but now...
Irene C
Currently Reading: Outlander
Bookshelf Size: 145
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-irene-c.html
Latest Review: Apollo's Raven by Linnea Tanner
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by Irene C »

I've heard people make versions of this argument. I think what the novels they refer to have in common is not necessarily female protagonists (Harry Potter gets mentioned in various lists of influences, as does classic dystopian fiction like Orwell's books, which middle and high school students read) but story worlds that start out bleak and/or somehow broken. The District 12 of The Hunger Games is described as hardscrabble poor and desperate right off the bat. And I think that, given the economic history of the US and the rest of the developed world over the past forty years, more younger people have more of a baseline sense that the real world is unjust, which these books might reinforce. Then the books say that it is possible for young people to fight against the injustice and help to fix the world, that they do not have to accept the status quo simply because they are young people.
History is not a burden on the memory but an illumination of the soul. Lord Acton
Lipscombpc
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 11
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-lipscombpc.html
Latest Review: Roadmap to the End of Days by Daniel Friedmann

Post by Lipscombpc »

I think it only prepares young readers when they take time to discuss/think about what they are reading and how it applies in their lives. When young readers get sucked into the adventure and plot, but don't think about the message the author is sending it only provides joy/escape (because reading is fun). I think when dialog and critical thinking is involved then we see change agents start to form.
MsHoney
Currently Reading: La travesia del Viajero del Alba
Bookshelf Size: 334

Post by MsHoney »

I think that definitely speaks to the power of books! Since kids aren't just reading one book with a dystopian world where the protagonist stands up for justice but several, I'm not even sure they need to be thinking critically about the stories for them to have an impact. I think those stories all compound to a general sense of action in the face of injustice, and it can spill over perhaps without them even realizing it. I know strong female characters I read about for fun in childhood actually influenced my thoughts on feminism as a young adult, even though as a 12 year old of course I wasn't dissecting the story like that.
KarimaK
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by KarimaK »

I think its kind of a reach to say that young people are speaking out more because of dystopian YA literature. Perhaps it's a factor and it has been much more of a recent trend in fiction, relatively speaking. Historically, young people have been the voice of change in many movements across the world. I think overall teenagers and young adults are much less satisfied with the status quo than older adults. When you're young you feel and experience things so much stronger than when you get older

None of this is to say YA fiction isn't a contributing factor. I think its awesome when you read stories if characters that challenge and inspire you.
ReaderTeacher
Currently Reading: Dead Fix
Bookshelf Size: 48
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-readerteacher.html
Latest Review: Superhighway by Alex Fayman

Post by ReaderTeacher »

I absolutely believe that recent dystopian fiction is helping prepare our students to speak out AND to take on challenges. In the New York Review of Books Podcast, Suzanne Collins explains:
I think it’s crucial that young readers are considering scenarios about humanity’s future because those challenges are about to land in their laps. In The Hunger Games, I hope they question elements like global warming and the mistreatment of the environment, but also questions like how do you feel about the fact that some people take their next meal for granted and so many other people are starving in the world? what do you think about the choices your government, past and present, or other governments around the world make? What’s your relationship to reality television versus your relationship with the news for instance? Was there anything in the books that disturbed you because they reflected aspects of your own life? And if there was, what can you do about it? Because you know what, even if they are not of your making, these issues and how to deal with them will become your responsibility.
Collins makes an important point that the students of today need to be prepared to think critically and address the questions and problems that our society has created. As a teacher, I have found that the teenagers of today have become disheartened and feel voiceless. Dystopian literature (new and old) has the power to show students that they can have a voice and they can fight against that which they perceive as wrong in the world. In fact, my students are currently developing solutions to problems that they found in dystopian novels that are mirrored in our society today. Inspired by The Time Machine, one group of students is planning a community-wide event to break down barriers between social classes. Another group, who read The Handmaid’s Tale, are planning to fight for equal pay for women. These students, when first presented with the idea of student advocacy, cried out “They won’t listen to us,” but YA literature helps students to see themselves taking action and getting results. I know change does not happen overnight, but the rising voices of my students gives me hope.
BriennaiJ
Currently Reading: Island Games
Bookshelf Size: 42
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-briennaij.html
Latest Review: If Life Stinks, Get Your Head Outta Your But's by Mark L. Wdowiak

Post by BriennaiJ »

I think that this is an interesting thought to have. I would hope that literature would be able to have this effect on teens! However, I think it depends on the type of YA fiction as well. A book such as The Hate U Give, which is realistic and not dystopian, would definitely have a bigger impact and invite kids to speak out more than a book such as The Hunger Games would.
VictoriaMcMillen
Currently Reading: When Angels Play Poker
Bookshelf Size: 49
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-victoriamcmillen.html
Latest Review: The Making Of A Soldier by Adriene Odom

Post by VictoriaMcMillen »

You are not the only one pondering, or hoping this to be true! I have noticed a great onslaught of new books and movies of these dystopian futures. I am glad that some are feeling more up to speaking, especially young women. I know they have inspired me!
~Victoria M.L. McMillen

"You can, you should, and if you are brave enough to start, you will." Stephen King
jesscat304
Favorite Book: The Subtle Art Of Not Giving A f*ck
Currently Reading: It Ends with Us
Bookshelf Size: 25
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jesscat304.html
Latest Review: Heartaches by H.M. Irwing

Post by jesscat304 »

I can definitely see why dystopian fiction would prepare the new generation to stand up for themselves, but I still worry that some focus so much on trying to fit into certain categories that they hide certain aspects of themselves to fit better.
Melissa Breen
Currently Reading: World War Z
Bookshelf Size: 34
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-melissa-breen.html
Latest Review: We are Voulhire: Someone Else's End by Matthew Tysz

Post by Melissa Breen »

I completely agree! I think having strong female characters really empowers teenage girls and shows them how to stand up for themselves, as well as their own value and strength. And it shows them what a huge difference one person can make.
vermontelf
Currently Reading: The faerie wand
Bookshelf Size: 83
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-vermontelf.html
Latest Review: The Follower by L. Hillis

Post by vermontelf »

This is an interesting idea that I had not considered. I do think our young adults and children are more likely to speak out. However, as a middle school teacher, I am saddened to say that these students often speak out in an entitled way. They are not speaking out for the good of the group or to suggest improvements but rather they are speaking out because life isn't fair or to whine about the expectations. I wish these books were instead strengthening the kiddos and making them want to be capable of self-sufficiency and independence. The opposite seems to be the trend.
nfdoughe
Favorite Author: Frances Hodgson Burnett
Favorite Book: Till We Have Faces
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 142
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nfdoughe.html
Latest Review: Willow James and the Queen of U’i’s Crown by Jett Blackk
fav_author_id: 2591

Post by nfdoughe »

I think that there is something to be said for stories with strong female leads when it comes to helping young women speak up. It's important to have role models to aspire to be like. I don't know about the scale it has, but I think that it's positive, and I'm sure there are individuals who find their direct inspiration from a modern heroine. The themes of dystopian stories I think are helpful too because they deal with dark realities but find hope, and that's important to teach young people.
HarryPotterLibrary22
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 49
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-harrypotterlibrary22.html
Latest Review: Watchwords (black and white) by Philip Neal Gatter

Post by HarryPotterLibrary22 »

nfdoughe wrote: 24 Nov 2019, 20:08 I think that there is something to be said for stories with strong female leads when it comes to helping young women speak up. It's important to have role models to aspire to be like. I don't know about the scale it has, but I think that it's positive, and I'm sure there are individuals who find their direct inspiration from a modern heroine. The themes of dystopian stories I think are helpful too because they deal with dark realities but find hope, and that's important to teach young people.
I completely agree. I don't think it's just dystopian but all stories that feature role models. For example, Hermione encouraged an entire generation of young girls to study and embrace their smarts. Truly that's incredible.
sevencrows
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 12
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sevencrows.html
Latest Review: Daisy's Run by Scott Baron

Post by sevencrows »

I believe lot of the books I read did shape my interests in politics. However, it's worth noting that dystopian books often oversimplify complex issues and are read more for entertainment than for enlightenment, and they're only a basic stepping stone if at all.

Return to “Young Adult Fiction Books”