Official Review: Li Bais shadow by Lee J Mavin

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any young adult books.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
NL Hartje
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Book: Kushiel's Dart
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 385
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nl-hartje.html
Latest Review: Looking forward as the Journey continues by George Mills

Official Review: Li Bais shadow by Lee J Mavin

Post by NL Hartje »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Li Bais shadow" by Lee J Mavin.]
Book Cover
2 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Have you ever traveled to China, or perhaps would like to? Well, reading Li Bai’s Shadow by Lee J. Mavin is an inexpensive way to begin one’s journey. Marvin’s book sends readers to both modern day and Tang dynasty China, and many of his cultural references pique a novice interest in Chinese history and traditions. Although readers will undergo a spirited adventure, no adventure can compare to the one taken by the book’s main character.

Caitlin, an 18-year-old Aussie girl with OCD and a very grown-up imaginary friend, decides to use her father’s credit card to book a one-way trip to China. While fuming, and worried for her well-being, Caitlin’s father doesn’t realize that her invisible sidekick, the poet Li Bai, is more palpable than he perceives. Li Bai came to Caitlin when she was three, carried by the phenomena of an eclipse partnered with a magical wine. Although no one but Caitlin can see him, Li Bai is very much a real embodiment of the famous Chinese poet. With Li Bai and his poetry at her side, Caitlin does not feel frightened or alone on her journey.

Readers follow the unlikely pair through several mini-adventures after another eclipse sends Caitlin into Li Bai’s time where she becomes the invisible friend. Kudos to the author for portraying Li Bai (known as the Chinese Shakespeare) in such an amusing way that I was compelled to google and learn a bit about the poet for myself. The bawdy, cheerful and drunken imagery assigned to Li Bai made him irresistible and prompted my further inquiries.

Many of Mavin’s presentations of Chinese culture were intriguing enough to warrant a bit of self-investigation. I found myself researching the Giant Buddha, Li Bai’s poems and even a street food called baozi. If the author intended to attract interest to the Chinese culture, this book certainly succeeded on that front.

China’s vibrancy, however, was not enough to keep this book afloat. Many missing details confused me and even grew to bore as the story wore on. For example, Li Bai is unseen by anyone but Caitlin, but she is countlessly hugging him and handing him food. Mavin never describes what other’s see when she does this. Does it look like she’s hugging air? Does the food she gives him fall to the floor? I was also disappointed to find inconsistencies in Caitlin’s OCD tendencies. In most scenes, she is seen counting the seconds or the steps with absolute precision. In some places, however, she uncharacteristically mentions that they walk for “about an hour.”

I personally could not reread this book. Although Mavin tried to fill the story with provocative scenes, I was mostly bored and uninterested. The best things about this book are the cultural references, and sadly, Mavin did not create Chinese culture, so I won’t be attributing bonus points to him. After considering these disappointments along with the astonishing amount of errors, I am rating Li Bai’s Shadow 2 out of 4 stars. I recommend this book for those interested in starting a study of China or possibly even OCD. The book offers compelling tidbits with regard to these categories that are worth reading.

Li Bais shadow
View: on Bookshelves

Like NL Hartje's review? Post a comment saying so!
“So the writer who breeds more words than he needs, is making a chore for the reader who reads.”
-Dr. Seuss
inaramid
Currently Reading: Siege and Storm
Bookshelf Size: 144
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-inaramid.html
Latest Review: The Fourth Kinetic by Brady Moore

Post by inaramid »

The story has potential. If done well, I would have been very interested to see how it turns out. I love time travel stories, and this seems like a very cool twist to the concept. Thanks for this review!
Samy Lax
Currently Reading: 100 Ways to Motivate Yourself
Bookshelf Size: 156
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-samy-lax.html
Latest Review: Chats with God in Underwear by Eduardo Chapunoff

Post by Samy Lax »

I have always picked up books that focus on China's rich traditions and culture. This book fits that description well. However, you are right, one might not be able to reread this. Loved the review. I look forward to the next one! :tiphat:
“...in principle and reality, libraries are life-enhancing palaces of wonder.”
― Gail Honeyman, Eleanor Oliphant is Completely Fine
kandscreeley
Special Discussion Leader
Currently Reading: The Door Within
Bookshelf Size: 487
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kandscreeley.html
Latest Review: The Elf Revelation by Jordan David

Post by kandscreeley »

I saw this one to review, but it just didn't sound like it was going to be enjoyable. I'm glad I didn't pick this one up because I know I wouldn't enjoy it. Thanks for the information, though!
A book is a dream you hold in your hands.
—Neil Gaiman
NL Hartje
Currently Reading:

Post by NL Hartje »

inaramid wrote: 21 Feb 2018, 07:31 I love time travel stories, and this seems like a very cool twist to the concept. Thanks for this review!
Agreed! As you said "if done well..." but sadly this was not. The author could have added so much more surrounding the time travel and put more detail into the oddities recognized by the person from the visiting time. The addition of these would have really boosted the story, in my opinion :techie-reference:
“So the writer who breeds more words than he needs, is making a chore for the reader who reads.”
-Dr. Seuss
NL Hartje
Currently Reading:

Post by NL Hartje »

kandscreeley wrote: 21 Feb 2018, 08:39 I saw this one to review, but it just didn't sound like it was going to be enjoyable. I'm glad I didn't pick this one up because I know I wouldn't enjoy it. Thanks for the information, though!
You're so great! Thank you for always reading my reviews! (Kind of wish I had passed on this one myself... :no-spoil: )
-Dr. Seuss
NL Hartje
Currently Reading:

Post by NL Hartje »

Samy Lax wrote: 21 Feb 2018, 07:39 I have always picked up books that focus on China's rich traditions and culture.
As someone not versed in Chinese culture, it was definitely interesting for me from that perspective.
-Dr. Seuss
kandscreeley
Special Discussion Leader
Currently Reading: The Door Within
Bookshelf Size: 487
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kandscreeley.html
Latest Review: The Elf Revelation by Jordan David

Post by kandscreeley »

NL Hartje wrote: 21 Feb 2018, 13:36
kandscreeley wrote: 21 Feb 2018, 08:39 I saw this one to review, but it just didn't sound like it was going to be enjoyable. I'm glad I didn't pick this one up because I know I wouldn't enjoy it. Thanks for the information, though!
You're so great! Thank you for always reading my reviews! (Kind of wish I had passed on this one myself... :no-spoil: )
My pleasure. :tiphat:

As for passing on this book, I've done my share of reviews that I wished I passed on. :evil:
A book is a dream you hold in your hands.
—Neil Gaiman
Vickie Noel
In It Together VIP
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 86063">Are you afraid of the dark</a>
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 868
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-vickie-noel.html
Latest Review: Modern Day Cowboy by Nathaniel Sheft
Reading Device: B01C9JZEBO

Post by Vickie Noel »

This was such a promising book; I was just about ready to dive in headfirst while reading of the switch between Caitlin and Li Bai as she became the imaginary friend. I was so prepped to see where it went, but now, not so much. It's just too bad about the errors, inconsistencies and missing details. But thanks for the expository review.
Stop waiting for what you WANT, start working with what you HAVE. --- Seth Cain
Never be bullied into questioning your own credibility. --- Vickie Noel
CommMayo
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 80
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-commmayo.html
Latest Review: Changed by Vicki Stiefel
Reading Device: B00G2Y4WNY

Post by CommMayo »

Your review started out so positive and then the crash...

It is a shame that there were enough missing elements to this novel to take away so much of your enjoyment of it. The concept sounds like it has a lot of potential.
NL Hartje
Currently Reading:

Post by NL Hartje »

CommMayo wrote: 24 Feb 2018, 14:54 Your review started out so positive and then the crash...

It is a shame that there were enough missing elements to this novel to take away so much of your enjoyment of it.
Yes, I would like to reiterate that I would have loved to give this a higher rating. The problems were palpable... :cry2:
-Dr. Seuss
NL Hartje
Currently Reading:

Post by NL Hartje »

Vickie Noel wrote: 22 Feb 2018, 18:04 This was such a promising book; I was just about ready to dive in headfirst while reading of the switch between Caitlin and Li Bai as she became the imaginary friend. I was so prepped to see where it went, but now, not so much. It's just too bad about the errors, inconsistencies and missing details. But thanks for the expository review.
Thank you for reading, Vickie. I really wanted to enjoy this one but as an avid fiction reader, I was looking for all of the detail to explain every bit of it to me... :snooty:
-Dr. Seuss
Marylynn
Bookshelf Size: 24
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-marylynn.html
Latest Review: "McDowell" by William H. Coles

Post by Marylynn »

Wow! For a moment I got confused on whether I would like to read the book or not. From your review, the story starts out as interesting then ..... Thanks for the wonderful review.
Latest Review: "McDowell" by William H. Coles
NL Hartje
Currently Reading:

Post by NL Hartje »

Marylynn wrote: 26 Feb 2018, 14:01 Wow! For a moment I got confused on whether I would like to read the book or not. From your review, the story starts out as interesting then .....
My thoughts exactly :doh:
-Dr. Seuss
prettysmart
Currently Reading: Big Doc Bitteroot
Bookshelf Size: 19
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-prettysmart.html
Latest Review: Serendipity Mystery by R.F. Kristi

Post by prettysmart »

Wow despite your midway rating, this book still appears to be pretty decent especially comprising of a time travel plot! Satisfying review!

Return to “Young Adult Fiction Books”