Official Review: Across the Golden Desert by Greg Johnson

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any young adult books.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
micoleon13
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 96
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-micoleon13.html
Latest Review: Sandusky Burning by Bryan W. Conway

Official Review: Across the Golden Desert by Greg Johnson

Post by micoleon13 »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Across the Golden Desert" by Greg Johnson.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Across the Golden Desert is the second book in Greg Johnson’s young adult fantasy fiction series. Having read the first book, I jumped at the chance to continue on with the story.

Starting where book one finished, Kelvin is left with no idea how to find Elizabeth after she is kidnapped by Luther. Luther is one of the few Enlightened left, this means that he has the ability to manipulate his surroundings and the perceptions of others. Luther had spent hundreds of years imprisoned in a cave for his past transgressions and is now determined to have his revenge.

He needs Elizabeth, who is also Enlightened, to play an integral role in his master plan and her cooperation is necessary for him to accomplish this. Finding out more about who she is and what she is capable of, Elizabeth is unaware of the manipulations going on around her. Will Kelvin be able to rescue her in time or will Luther change her forever?

Set in an alternate world, there are many aspects here that would appeal to a young adult reader. Not only are there treacherous lands for Kelvin to cross, full of otherworldly animals set on attacking him, there are also soldiers sent by the king to capture him and Elizabeth. There is a slight magical element as well in the form of the powers of the Enlightened. This appealed to me as it was incorporated well into the story and didn’t overwhelm the plot.

The story follows several of the characters as they separate to undertake their individual missions. Kelvin is still the likeable character he was in book one, showing his loyalty and determination to track down Elizabeth against all odds. Elizabeth develops more as a character as she comes to learn more about herself and her capabilities, but sometimes her emotions get the better of her resulting in bad decisions. Luther, in spite of being the villain, was a character I liked the most. His mental capacity and sanity have obviously been affected by his incarceration, but his cleverly constructed plans make him a very real threat to overcome. All the secondary characters were also realistically portrayed especially as their flaws became more apparent in this book, lending a tone of believability to the story.

Written in third person, I found no significant editorial errors. The only criticism that I had was that at times the writing just didn’t flow as smoothly as I would have liked, and some conversations felt a little static. However, this did not affect my overall enjoyment of the story.

I rate this book 4 out of 4 stars because the story was strong enough to carry it past any criticism I had about the flow of the writing. This would definitely appeal to young adult and adult readers equally. Those who like fantasy adventure fiction would enjoy this series, although, I would certainly recommend reading the books in order as I would’ve struggled to understand this story without prior knowledge.

Across the Golden Desert
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Like micoleon13's review? Post a comment saying so!
kandscreeley
Special Discussion Leader
Currently Reading: Believarexic
Bookshelf Size: 486
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kandscreeley.html
Latest Review: The Elf Revelation by Jordan David

Post by kandscreeley »

Sounds like a good series, but I won't read this one without picking up the first one to start with. I love the cover. It's very striking and would make me want to pick it up! Thanks.
A book is a dream you hold in your hands.
—Neil Gaiman
Chigozie Anuli Mbadugha
Book of the Month Participant
Favorite Book: The Barnyard Buddies STOP for Peace
Currently Reading: When Leaves Fall
Bookshelf Size: 1583
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-chigozie-anuli-mbadugha.html
Latest Review: Winning the War on Cancer by Sylvie Beljanski

Post by Chigozie Anuli Mbadugha »

Thanks for this detailed and insightful review. I am normally not a fan of fantasy fiction, but this review is so well written that it has piqued my interest. I just might make an exception and read this! Well done!
Arrigo_Lupori
Favorite Author: Haruki Murakami
Currently Reading: A Short History of Nearly Everything
Bookshelf Size: 15
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-arrigo-lupori.html
Latest Review: Island Games by Caleb J. Boyer
Reading Device: B00I15SB16
fav_author_id: 2566

Post by Arrigo_Lupori »

I haven't read the first one, but the title is intriguing and your review makes me that much more interested, I'll keep it on my radar.
"The abstract sensation of living a lifestyle that hasn't been fully understood."
- The epitome of taste in living disgrace.
Sahani Nimandra
Favorite Book: Harry Potter and The Sorceress Stone
Currently Reading: Man of the World
Bookshelf Size: 698
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sahani-nimandra.html
Latest Review: I once had a Farm in Ireland by Siggy Buckley
Reading Device: Huawei

Post by Sahani Nimandra »

Sounds like a interesting fantasy read. The cover is presented well and is very attractive to catch a readers eye. Thank you!
The person, be it gentleman or lady, who has not pleasure in a good novel, must be intolerably stupid! - Jane Austen :techie-studyingbrown:
Agomoh ugochukwu
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by Agomoh ugochukwu »

I don't know how the book one looks like but this is very interesting I will go on. The review is cool
Gagbe semanu kwame
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 2

Post by Gagbe semanu kwame »

It sooooooooo interesting to read this book
prettysmart
Currently Reading: Big Doc Bitteroot
Bookshelf Size: 19
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-prettysmart.html
Latest Review: Serendipity Mystery by R.F. Kristi

Post by prettysmart »

Fantasy is my heart beat. Such a exceptional review! Thanks, I will be engrossed by this read!
calebchuks
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 6

Post by calebchuks »

Across the golden desert". Can't they leave him and elizabeth?". No way", I love the vilian part. You got to give the guy the credit for being putting those smart plans in place. In short, I love this book, I imagined every word in it. Rating it a 4 out of 4.
DancingLady
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 108
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-dancinglady.html
Latest Review: Believe What You Want To Believe by Alicia Kristine and George Williams

Post by DancingLady »

I'm intrigued. I'll definitely look for the first book first though. It's rare when you can pick up the second book in a series and not feel lost as a series is meant to continue a single story, or usually is.
Solexzhiri
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by Solexzhiri »

Interesting even from the start like to read this
Nanig83006
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 44
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nanig83006.html
Latest Review: Apollo's Raven by Linnea Tanner

Post by Nanig83006 »

The concept of this is wonderful and I'm inclined to read it because it has a male protagonist. It may just be me, but I have difficulty finding YA novels with a male leads. I have nothing against female protagonist, but I like to see diversity and variety in the genre. I look forward to reading this. Thanks.
Eileen R
In It Together VIP
Favorite Book: Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows
Currently Reading: Toni the Superhero
Bookshelf Size: 45
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-eileen-r.html
Latest Review: Manifesto for a Cancer Patient by Colleen Huber, NMD

Post by Eileen R »

Your review makes the book sound really intriguing. However, I agree that it's always better to start with the first book in a series to avoid any confusion. Thanks for the review

Return to “Young Adult Fiction Books”