Official review: Island Games by Caleb J Boyer

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any young adult books.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Hephzi Lolami
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 57
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-hephzi-lolami.html
Latest Review: Who Told You That You Were Naked? by William Combs

Official review: Island Games by Caleb J Boyer

Post by Hephzi Lolami »

When I picked this book, I wasn't sure what to expect. The title said 'Island games' and I didn't know what to think of book the since I couldn't really get the hint on what it was about through the title but when I finally read it, I was shocked. Especially more about the fact that the Island Games was written by a twelve year old. I went jaws slacked.

Now onto the book, the Island Games is a young adult fiction that tells the story of two boys, James and Ryan who, somehow found themselves stranded on a deserted island. Now I love this concept because, picture this, you sleep and then when you wake up like every other human beign in the morning, bam! You're on a deserted island with no food, water or any form of protection which is the basic thing humans need. Just your best friend. This reminds me a lot of the maze runner and I found myself visualising each event in my head.

Scientists have proven that in a case where the human finds himself in a hard to comprehend situation and don't know what to do, survival is the next thing that pops on their mind and that was exactly what the boys had to do. They must fight for survival.

Then, to live on the island and survive, Matthew must work together. They must stick together and be on the lookout for each other if not they would die together because what gets one boy would definitely come for the other boy. This even makes it worse when they actually have no memory of their past. The book title is ironical, with a kind of inner meaning which only a deep reader can understand. Even though the book was titled Island games, the obstacles that came the boys way weren't child's play. They involved life or death.

The [iIsland games[/i] is an attractive plot with a unique storyline which kept me on the lookout for what would happen next. I love cliffhangers and suspense so, if there's any other person out there that loves cliff hangers and suspense like me, then this book is for you. There were no mistakes (which one would shed light on without the use of a magnifying glass); though I noticed that the author moved from 1st person to 3rd person narrative when revealing the thoughts of the characters and that could easily confuse some readers. Still, I would rate this book 4 out of 4 stars because it is worth it.

All in all, the Island games has an engaging plot and the preteens would enjoy reading the enthralling fiction. I would recommend it to preteens out there. You won't have a dull moment reading.
LMKenney74
Bookshelf Size: 3
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-lmkenney74.html
Latest Review: Sigfried’s Smelly Socks! by Len Foley

Post by LMKenney74 »

Thank you for your review. I enjoyed the book as well, just not as much as you did. I, too, was very impressed that a 12 year old wrote it. Crazy!
Hephzi Lolami
Currently Reading:

Post by Hephzi Lolami »

LMKenney74 wrote: 01 Feb 2018, 14:29 Thank you for your review. I enjoyed the book as well, just not as much as you did. I, too, was very impressed that a 12 year old wrote it. Crazy!
Thanks for enjoying the review. We are all very impressed that a twelve year old wrote such an awesome book.
JessNWheeler
Favorite Author: Ruth Rendell
Currently Reading: The Girl Next Door: A Novel
Bookshelf Size: 103
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jessnwheeler.html
Latest Review: Growing Up in the Dragonfly Zone by Marlana DeMarco Hogan
Reading Device: B075QN8NDH
fav_author_id: 3998

Post by JessNWheeler »

I’ve considered reading this book. Two shipwrecked adolescents sounds like an interesting plot, especially when the fantasy aspect is added. Maybe I’ll read it with my kids. Great review!
We are all in the gutter, but some of us are looking at the stars. - Oscar Wilde
Hephzi Lolami
Currently Reading:

Post by Hephzi Lolami »

JessNWheeler wrote: 08 Mar 2018, 21:16 I’ve considered reading this book. Two shipwrecked adolescents sounds like an interesting plot, especially when the fantasy aspect is added. Maybe I’ll read it with my kids. Great review!
Thats great and I am sure you will enjoy doing so!
Barbie_sidhu
Currently Reading: Strong heart
Bookshelf Size: 84
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-barbie-sidhu.html
Latest Review: Kalayla by Jeannie Nicholas

Post by Barbie_sidhu »

I read the book recently and was totally astonished by the writing of a 12 year old boy.

Return to “Young Adult Fiction Books”