Official Review: Don't Let the Enemy Steal from You!: A C...

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any young adult books.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
CataclysmicKnight
Favorite Book: Ready Player One
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 1693
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cataclysmicknight.html
Latest Review: Simple Man Simple Message by Mark Dobosz

Official Review: Don't Let the Enemy Steal from You!: A C...

Post by CataclysmicKnight »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Don't Let the Enemy Steal from You!: A Crown of Thorns to a Crown of Righteousness" by Darren Cox.]
Book Cover
3 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

I just finished a review yesterday in which I referenced Christians who go to church only on Christmas and Easter, so it's incredibly fitting that I stumbled upon Don't Let the Enemy Steal from You!: A Crown of Thorns to a Crown of Righteousness by Darren Cox today. This is an incredibly short (only twelve pages!) book that I'd describe best as a written sermon calling Christians back to God's work.

In Don't Let the Enemy Steal from You!, Darren explains the importance of being dedicated to Jesus. This dedication, this laying down our lives for God's will is what grants us our "crown of righteousness", a phrase used throughout Bible passages Darren includes in his text. In fact, it's hard to call this a book or text, it's far more of a sermon or an impassioned speech on this very singular concept. The book is written as one chapter that flows from point to point, referencing scripture and weaving a Darren's most vital messages throughout the twelve pages. Darren speaks of how we, from those who believe in Jesus to pastors who lead churches, have lost our way in dedicating ourselves to God. He says we fear man more than we fear God, and that we've laid our crowns down. He also points out that the only thing worse than a physical death is a spiritual death, and that we're already spiritually dead if we don't follow Jesus.

Darren also talks about how many of us have trials we go through. He says that we often complain that no one knows what it's like to feel the way we feel, to go through the hardships we face. This is when he gets into the "crown of thorns" and how it relates to the "crown of righteousness" - when Jesus made his famous walk to his crucifixion he was given his crown of thorns, something most Christians know. However, the even more vital point here is that when Jesus suffered this way, far more than most any living person will ever suffer, he freed us not only of our sins but also of our crown of thorns. Instead, when we dedicate ourselves to Jesus, we are crowned "with a crown of righteousness", something that no thief, no murderer, not even Satan can steal from us.

While this is one of the most impassioned, powerful speeches I've ever read in text format, the fact that it's a book and not a video or even an audiobook makes it a little messy to read. I counted seven errors in these twelve pages, and that's not including things I'd normally consider errors like repetition, lacking punctuation in places or sentence fragments. When I read this book, my inner reading voice spoke it aloud with passion and fire, following along with the way it was written and seeing how it could very well be the transcribed version of a spoken piece, so these other issues faded away.

Due to the errors I found and a desire for just a little more content out of this book, I'm rating Don't Let the Enemy Steal from You! 3 out of 4 stars. It's a quick, easy read and it definitely fired me up, but I just wanted a little more out of it. Darren definitely speaks from the heart, though, and has an incredible fire in him that he laid on the pages of this book. I'd recommend it to any Christian, especially those who have lost their path or could use a little more intense devotion in their spiritual life.

Don't Let the Enemy Steal from You!: A Crown of Thorns to a Crown of Righteousness
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Like CataclysmicKnight's review? Post a comment saying so!
Nothing is true, everything is permitted.
kandscreeley
Special Discussion Leader
Currently Reading: The Door Within
Bookshelf Size: 487
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kandscreeley.html
Latest Review: The Elf Revelation by Jordan David

Post by kandscreeley »

Sounds like it would be great converted to a short audiobook. It has a lot of great content from the sounds of it, and I would be interested to see what he has to say. Thanks for another great review.
A book is a dream you hold in your hands.
—Neil Gaiman
Sahani Nimandra
Favorite Book: Harry Potter and The Sorceress Stone
Currently Reading: Man of the World
Bookshelf Size: 698
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sahani-nimandra.html
Latest Review: I once had a Farm in Ireland by Siggy Buckley
Reading Device: Huawei

Post by Sahani Nimandra »

I agree to one statement in this review, "...the only thing worst than a physical death is a spiritual death..." this statement has a lot meaning than I can expect but it is truly a eye opener. Thank you for the review!
The person, be it gentleman or lady, who has not pleasure in a good novel, must be intolerably stupid! - Jane Austen :techie-studyingbrown:
Hephzi Lolami
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 57
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-hephzi-lolami.html
Latest Review: Who Told You That You Were Naked? by William Combs

Post by Hephzi Lolami »

The topic itself, 'Don't let the enemy steal from you' speaks a lot. It's like an awakening personality and it surely ignited something in me as I read. Thanks for the great review.
Lincolnshirelass
Previous Member of the Month
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by Lincolnshirelass »

This was a good review, but as a Christian, though a liberal one, I think I would have a few issues with the book, especially as it is aimed at YA audience. People in the target age group do tend to have emotional problems, insecurity, etc, and I'm not sure if I feel right about threatening them with 'spiritual death' (could anything be more horrifying?) if they don't totally follow a religion. Know some will disagree!
An Eye for an Eye only ends up making the whole world blind.

Mahatma Gandhi
KamalK
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 10
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kamalk.html
Latest Review: It's Just Business... the Romancing of Ahjumma by Wanda Voy

Post by KamalK »

I am not really into religious stuff, but this seems to indulge the reader on a broader prospect. Thank you for the review.
Busisiwe Avril

Post by Busisiwe Avril »

The title of the book was what spoke to me first but um pleased with the content inside being a christian I found it very enlightening.
binita singh
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 2

Post by binita singh »

it was nice review in this the people marked as age problem and "spiritual death"...........in this review i like the statement by author is "we fear man most from god"
Kipjoe
Currently Reading:

Post by Kipjoe »

There are two things involved, first the title is perfect because it draws your attention and the content talks more of our dedication to service to God and mankind. Well written I think it deserves five stars.
Cristina Chifane
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Book: The Magic Mountain
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 898
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cristina-chifane.html
Latest Review: The Fold by Dennis Lee
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by Cristina Chifane »

I happen to believe that people need more spirituality in their lives these days, but I am also against any form of indoctrination especially in the case of adolescents. Thank you for your review.
"The madness of writing is the antidote to true madness." (Hanif Kureishi)
Latest Review: The Fold by Dennis Lee
Brenda kimathi
Currently Reading: Because it is my Blood (Birthright #2)
Bookshelf Size: 31

Post by Brenda kimathi »

The review is okey,and the book has a moral lesson too
DancingLady
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 108
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-dancinglady.html
Latest Review: Believe What You Want To Believe by Alicia Kristine and George Williams

Post by DancingLady »

This is such an important message, and I don't think the author is trying to threaten anyone. He is trying to communicate the message of scripture in a way that is understandable to his audience. Given the title, it sounds like the primary audience for this book/sermon is young people who have been raised in the church. That's going to make a big difference in how he presents the message.

Return to “Young Adult Fiction Books”