Official Review: Milky Way Rising by Sharon Keller Johnson

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any young adult books.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
kandscreeley
Special Discussion Leader
Currently Reading: Believarexic
Bookshelf Size: 486
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kandscreeley.html
Latest Review: The Elf Revelation by Jordan David

Official Review: Milky Way Rising by Sharon Keller Johnson

Post by kandscreeley »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Milky Way Rising" by Sharon Keller Johnson.]
Book Cover
3 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Cassie has just moved with her family to Franklin, Florida. Having moved a lot, she's used to not being anywhere long enough to make friends. This time she's caught off guard, though; Aiden, a boy that somewhat resembles a Q-Tip, befriends her from the first moment.

Cassie finds out that she is related to one of the founders of the town, and the two start to look into the history of her family. Not all is as it seems in this ancient family, however. There are skeletons in the closet. It's up to Aiden and Cassie to bring these skeletons to the light of day. After all, some mysteries are meant to be revealed.

Milky Way Rising by Sharon Keller Johnson is a young adult book that is part historical fiction part ghost story.The characters are fun and unique with something to teach us all. Cassie and Aiden are dreamers while her mother and sister are more practical. I found this to be a pleasant blend. Then there are the ladies from the nursing home. Full of history, they have lessons to teach young Cassie and Aiden. All of the characters were nicely developed and well rounded.

The story started somewhat slowly, and the pace remained relaxed for most of the book. Those who are looking for suspense around every corner might want to skip this novel. Those that enjoy the author taking the time to develop a good mystery would enjoy the leisurely way the plot unfolds.

The main character Cassie is obsessed with Star Trek. Not just any Star Trek mind you, but the original series with Kirk and Spock. Being that this is a young adult series, I'm not sure that's wise. How well do teenagers these days know of this first Star Trek? Ms. Johnson does remedy the problem slightly by adding the show’s characters to the glossary in the back of the book. In spite of that, I fear that children will stop reading at the multiple mentions to this show when they don't understand.

The characters’ lives also have this unrealistic way of working out quite easily. Aiden and his father don't get along all that well. Conveniently, they go to counseling; it's sunshine and roses, again. There is a bully in the school who suddenly changes her ways. Miraculous! Sadly, events in the real world don't often have a fairy tale ending. This has the potential to confuse young adults or leave them thinking there is something wrong with their families and relationships.

Notwithstanding that, it was a light, enjoyable read. The ghostly element is not extremely scary and suitable for younger audiences. I, therefore, rate Milky Way Rising 3 out of 4 stars. I recommend the story to all who are looking for a lighthearted, meandering mystery with a small ghostly element.

Milky Way Rising
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Like kandscreeley's review? Post a comment saying so!
A book is a dream you hold in your hands.
—Neil Gaiman
inaramid
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: Siege and Storm
Bookshelf Size: 144
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-inaramid.html
Latest Review: The Fourth Kinetic by Brady Moore

Post by inaramid »

A boy that somewhat resembles a...Q-Tip? :) Wonder what that looks like. I agree with your notes on the character's obsession with Star Trek. That may be a little hard for young adult readers to relate to and may alienate them from the main character. The book does sound suited for light reading. I'm curious how the title ties in with the book's theme, as it leads me to expect a sci-fi-ey sort of story rather than a mystery.
kandscreeley

Post by kandscreeley »

inaramid wrote: 23 Jan 2018, 22:40 A boy that somewhat resembles a...Q-Tip? :) Wonder what that looks like. I agree with your notes on the character's obsession with Star Trek. That may be a little hard for young adult readers to relate to and may alienate them from the main character. The book does sound suited for light reading. I'm curious how the title ties in with the book's theme, as it leads me to expect a sci-fi-ey sort of story rather than a mystery.
Yeah... it really wasn't sci-fi at all (other than the characters obsession with Star Trek.) It was a really fun story. I'm just worried kids won't get all the references. Thanks for commenting!
—Neil Gaiman
MsTri
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Author: Miranda Ann Markley
Favorite Book: The Spirit Seeds Book 1
Currently Reading: the Secret of Safe Passage
Bookshelf Size: 1030
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mstri.html
Latest Review: Suddenly Free, Vol. 1 by Yvette Carmon Davis
Reading Device: B07HZHJGY7
fav_author_id: 225682

Post by MsTri »

I saw this book on the list and totally started to pick it, but opted for the one I'm reading now instead. I'm glad to know it was a pretty good read, after all, though. I do agree that the original Star Trek references may be confusing to younger readers. I also chuckled at your mention of how quickly problems are rectified, as that's what happens on television shows, as well. Still, if I find the time, I think I'd like to read this. Thanks for the introduction!
Kat Berg
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 5">Raven's Peak</a>
Currently Reading: James Baldwin
Bookshelf Size: 223
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kat-berg.html
Latest Review: Why Am I Here by Melvin Bell
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by Kat Berg »

This sounds like a fun read. I wonder, with the popularity of Big Bang Theory and the main character's obsession with Spock and Star Trek if that will be a big turn-off or confusion for as many as it otherwise would be. This sounds like one I would enjoy, even if it is a little unrealistic to real life.
kandscreeley

Post by kandscreeley »

MsTri wrote: 24 Jan 2018, 15:23 I saw this book on the list and totally started to pick it, but opted for the one I'm reading now instead. I'm glad to know it was a pretty good read, after all, though. I do agree that the original Star Trek references may be confusing to younger readers. I also chuckled at your mention of how quickly problems are rectified, as that's what happens on television shows, as well. Still, if I find the time, I think I'd like to read this. Thanks for the introduction!
I enjoyed the book, but it was kind of a shout out to Leave It To Beaver or something where all in 30 minutes you get a problem and a solution... :)
—Neil Gaiman
kandscreeley

Post by kandscreeley »

Kat Berg wrote: 24 Jan 2018, 21:44 This sounds like a fun read. I wonder, with the popularity of Big Bang Theory and the main character's obsession with Spock and Star Trek if that will be a big turn-off or confusion for as many as it otherwise would be. This sounds like one I would enjoy, even if it is a little unrealistic to real life.
I think it would be fine for adults, but I'm still not sure about teenagers. How many teenagers out there are even watching Big Bang Theory? I'm just not sure...
—Neil Gaiman
Sahani Nimandra
Favorite Book: Harry Potter and The Sorceress Stone
Currently Reading: Man of the World
Bookshelf Size: 698
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sahani-nimandra.html
Latest Review: I once had a Farm in Ireland by Siggy Buckley
Reading Device: Huawei

Post by Sahani Nimandra »

The books sounds like a good-jolie one! I would give a fun time to the reader. I don't think the original series of star track will be a problem since The-Big-Bang T.v. series highlights these points if the young reader have a good obsession with The-Big-Bang series as I am then that would not be a problem. The combination of ghost-stories and historical fiction helps in the development of the book, it may seem unrealistic but I believe this book wil help to heal a stressed-out mind with fun and laughter. Thanks for the review!
The person, be it gentleman or lady, who has not pleasure in a good novel, must be intolerably stupid! - Jane Austen :techie-studyingbrown:
kandscreeley

Post by kandscreeley »

Sahani Nimandra wrote: 25 Jan 2018, 21:53 The books sounds like a good-jolie one! I would give a fun time to the reader. I don't think the original series of star track will be a problem since The-Big-Bang T.v. series highlights these points if the young reader have a good obsession with The-Big-Bang series as I am then that would not be a problem. The combination of ghost-stories and historical fiction helps in the development of the book, it may seem unrealistic but I believe this book wil help to heal a stressed-out mind with fun and laughter. Thanks for the review!
I don't keep up enough with popular culture like that, so maybe you are right. Nonetheless, it was enjoyable. Thanks for stopping by and commenting!
—Neil Gaiman
Hildah Mose
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 10
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-hildah-mose.html
Latest Review: And Then I Met Margaret by Rob White

Post by Hildah Mose »

I think I am getting to like young adult novels. But the ghost part though, not my cup of tea. Thanks kandscreeley for the review. It's always a pleasure reading your reviews
kandscreeley

Post by kandscreeley »

Hildah Mose wrote: 28 Jan 2018, 04:43 I think I am getting to like young adult novels. But the ghost part though, not my cup of tea. Thanks kandscreeley for the review. It's always a pleasure reading your reviews
Young adult novels are one of my favorites! I hope you find one you can love. Thanks for commenting.
—Neil Gaiman
Hephzi Lolami
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 57
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-hephzi-lolami.html
Latest Review: Who Told You That You Were Naked? by William Combs

Post by Hephzi Lolami »

From the beginning of the book, Cassie sounds like an interesting character and I would have said I was interested because of the shadowy, ghostly themes but star trek? Nah. I'll pass. Also, the book having some events that passes for 'and they lived happily ever after' events with the bully turning a new leaf or Aiden and his father boi g for counselling and then getting together again, to me they don't sound too realistic. I love books where they keep me on edge from the beginning till the end. All the same, it was a great review. I could pick the book if I need a breather from work when I feel choked up. It was nice reading the review!
kandscreeley

Post by kandscreeley »

Hephzi Lolami wrote: 30 Jan 2018, 11:53 From the beginning of the book, Cassie sounds like an interesting character and I would have said I was interested because of the shadowy, ghostly themes but star trek? Nah. I'll pass. Also, the book having some events that passes for 'and they lived happily ever after' events with the bully turning a new leaf or Aiden and his father boi g for counselling and then getting together again, to me they don't sound too realistic. I love books where they keep me on edge from the beginning till the end. All the same, it was a great review. I could pick the book if I need a breather from work when I feel choked up. It was nice reading the review!
I think you got the correct sense of the book. It was good. A nice, easy, light read. But not always realistic. Still, sometimes we need a little "
Leave it to Beaver" in our lives. Thanks for commenting!
—Neil Gaiman
Steph K
Currently Reading: The Hobbit
Bookshelf Size: 137
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-steph-k.html
Latest Review: Ever After by H M Irwing

Post by Steph K »

I think you're right about the Star Trek references. Young people might have seen the recent Trek movies with Kirk and Spock, but that isn't enough to understand references to the 1960's television show.
KamalK
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 10
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kamalk.html
Latest Review: It's Just Business... the Romancing of Ahjumma by Wanda Voy

Post by KamalK »

Historical fiction mix with ghost story, sounds like a good combo to me. Thank you for the detailed review, it has invoked my interest in the book. I will surely check it out.

Return to “Young Adult Fiction Books”