Official Review: Island Games by Caleb J. Boyer

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any young adult books.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Mailu
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 60
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mailu.html
Latest Review: Who Told You That You Were Naked? by William Combs

Re: Official Review: Island Games by Caleb J. Boyer

Post by Mailu »

It's unbelievable that a twelve years old child could write such a wonderful flawless piece of work. I'm impressed that the story is not only a thriller read but encourages persistence amidst difficulties.
Ashiyya Tariq
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 235
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ashiyya-tariq.html
Latest Review: Deadly Waters: The Vietnam Naval War And Its Aftermath by Randy Miller
Reading Device: PDF

Post by Ashiyya Tariq »

The story plot is really engaging, especially when you find that a novel has been written be 12 years old guy. Thanks for this beautiful review.
Make your ideals high enough to inspire you and low enough to encourage you.

๐Ÿ“•๐Ÿ“–๐Ÿ“ฐ๐Ÿ““๐Ÿ“•
Syaakiirroh
Currently Reading: The Diary of a snoopy cat
Bookshelf Size: 12
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-syaakiirroh.html
Latest Review: Diary of a Snoopy Cat by R.F. Kristi

Post by Syaakiirroh »

Interesting read and it does keep you wondering what's next with every page turned. I haven't finish the book just yet, but I am looking forward to know what's really going on at that Island
Amy_Jackson
Official Reviewer Representative
Currently Reading: The In-Between
Bookshelf Size: 27
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-amy-jackson.html
Latest Review: A Voice from Heaven by Alexander V Girman & Cynthia J Girman

Post by Amy_Jackson »

Wow. An adventurous, suspenseful book written by a 12year old! Now that's a great mind going places to happen!
Ma Cheryll
Currently Reading: Grace Revealed
Bookshelf Size: 127
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ma-cheryll.html
Latest Review: Beneath the Muscle by Lauren Powers

Post by Ma Cheryll »

What a great sounding Review you got here @kandscreely! A Book written by a 12year old bearing no errors and getting a 4 of 4 stars! Thanks for sharing! I'm excited to read it myself and recommend it to my nieces and nephews and their friends from the same age group! A big โ€œThanks!โ€ to the Author Caleb J. Boyer for the FREE Book and Congratulations๐Ÿ˜ƒon the BOTD!
brenda1992
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 18
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-brenda1992.html
Latest Review: Island Games by Caleb J. Boyer

Post by brenda1992 »

It's a great review. We need more youngsters with creative minds that can capture an audience like Caleb boyer.
Zuribooks
Currently Reading: The Engine Woman's Light
Bookshelf Size: 166
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-zuribooks.html
Latest Review: Twisted Threads by Kaylin McFarren

Post by Zuribooks »

I cant believe this was wrtten by a 12 years old boy!, he has a true and big imagination, i only read the review but it seems like something i will enjoy specially because i really like dystopians books, so far i love the development of the characters and all the struggle to survive, lets see what happens
StarsAtNight
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 13

Post by StarsAtNight »

The fact that the author was 12 when he wrote the book is both astonishing and an inspiration at the same time for me.
However, after reading the summary, I found it either shared too many cliches or resembled to many other stories and plots I've seen.
For example:
- Digimon -> A group of kids are mysteriously transported from their homeland and end up on an island where they learn to survive and develop teamwork, etc.
- The Maze Runner -> A group of kids (in the beginning, none of them remembers much) learn to survive; their goal is to escape the Maze, the land that encases them.

I feel like having seen these sorts of plots beforehand will allow me to predict the plot as I read, thus making the story a lot less interesting.
But I've been known to be pretty judgmental when it comes to books, so I'm looking forwards to the book anyways. :D
kandscreeley
Special Discussion Leader
Currently Reading: The Door Within
Bookshelf Size: 487
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kandscreeley.html
Latest Review: The Elf Revelation by Jordan David

Post by kandscreeley »

I appreciate everyone's comments on this one. It is simplistic, but sometimes even adults can enjoy a simplistic story. I sure did. I hope everyone that reads it enjoys it as much as I did.
A book is a dream you hold in your hands.
โ€”Neil Gaiman
Amystl26
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 64
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-amystl26.html
Latest Review: The Sparrow by Denna M. Davis

Post by Amystl26 »

Wow! Sounds like such a great story, and written by such a young man! What talent! Sometimes it's nice to sit back with an easy, breezy read with an awesome story line! Thanks for the review!
Amystl26
Currently Reading:

Post by Amystl26 »

kandscreeley wrote: โ†‘30 Jan 2018, 10:14 I appreciate everyone's comments on this one. It is simplistic, but sometimes even adults can enjoy a simplistic story. I sure did. I hope everyone that reads it enjoys it as much as I did.
Yes! Simplistic can be good. Our minds crave different things at different times. This sounds like a good one to pick up after reading something like Game of Thrones! ;)
Amystl26
Currently Reading:

Post by Amystl26 »

StarsAtNight wrote: โ†‘30 Jan 2018, 09:53 The fact that the author was 12 when he wrote the book is both astonishing and an inspiration at the same time for me.
However, after reading the summary, I found it either shared too many cliches or resembled to many other stories and plots I've seen.
For example:
- Digimon -> A group of kids are mysteriously transported from their homeland and end up on an island where they learn to survive and develop teamwork, etc.
- The Maze Runner -> A group of kids (in the beginning, none of them remembers much) learn to survive; their goal is to escape the Maze, the land that encases them.

I feel like having seen these sorts of plots beforehand will allow me to predict the plot as I read, thus making the story a lot less interesting.
But I've been known to be pretty judgmental when it comes to books, so I'm looking forwards to the book anyways. :D
Being judgmental when it comes to books-- I know the feeling! But, yes, the fact of the author's age being 12 is amazing! I can't wait to see what this young author comes up with as he grows and develops more into his imagination and skill!
Lili-pad
Currently Reading: Islands games
Bookshelf Size: 2

Post by Lili-pad »

Living on an island myself, your review has me looking out of my window, in hopes of catching a glimse of the characters Matthew and Ryan, approaching...
I have just started reading the book. The first chapter is quick paced and the boys survival skills have awaken..Thanks to your review, I will move on to the second chapter with greater expectations.
StarsAtNight
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 13

Post by StarsAtNight »

Amystl26 wrote: โ†‘30 Jan 2018, 12:43
StarsAtNight wrote: โ†‘30 Jan 2018, 09:53 The fact that the author was 12 when he wrote the book is both astonishing and an inspiration at the same time for me.
For example:

Being judgmental when it comes to books-- I know the feeling! But, yes, the fact of the author's age being 12 is amazing! I can't wait to see what this young author comes up with as he grows and develops more into his imagination and skill!
I agree! It truly amazes me because I can remember my own 12 year old writing XD My, that was a sad, sad year.
Mbalu Sanoh
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by Mbalu Sanoh »

For a twelve year old this is so wow.Thanks for the review

Return to โ€œYoung Adult Fiction Booksโ€