Official Review: Island Games by Caleb J. Boyer

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any young adult books.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Marie19
Bookshelf Size: 5

Re: Official Review: Island Games by Caleb J. Boyer

Post by Marie19 »

(I am reviewing Island Games: Mystery of the Four Quadrants by Caleb J. Boyer[Spoilers]).

Caleb Boyer, has done an outstanding job with his publication, especially for a 12-year-old. His creativity is amazing. I have not read in quite a while and I have decided to get back into reading. This was the first book I have read in 2018. This is also my first review.

After reviewing the acknowledgements in Island Games: Mystery of the Four Quadrants, I can see a relation between the main characters Matthew and Ryan and everyone who has impacted Caleb’s life. Grit is closely related to resilience. When you acquire grit, you have a combination of persistence and passion, and are very much capable in continuing in the course of action even in the face of difficulty. When you are resilient, you have the willingness to continue through obstacles or some cases, failures. I see resilience in both characters of the book. Think about it, Matthew and Ryan are teenagers who find themselves stranded on a deserted island, with no memory other than the memory of each other. This is closely related to ‘Maze Runners’. Instead of folding under pressure and not doing anything to change their current situation, they decide to go on a search for food, water, and a way off the island and back home, wherever home is. I find Matthew cautious and Ryan incautious. Matthew saved Ryan several times: when trying to aboard the cargo ship with a shark trying to eat Ryan, making it back to the island, Ryan almost falling to his death when the ground beneath him collapsed, getting sucked into the statues, and swinging above lava. Matthew took the leadership role and encourages Ryan to talk to him before running off into possible traps. Though this book is for a more younger audience, it can be for anyone, as it teaches a lesson to the reader; be resilient in the face of adversity.

Overall, I would say the book is well developed. Located in the table of content is the Secret of the Island Revealed, where the author poses a question. I believe this question foreshadows what could possibly happen in the next book. Maybe the author will be more in depth about what happened in the lab.
jennyd2003
Currently Reading: Kind Nepenthe
Bookshelf Size: 126
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jennyd2003.html
Latest Review: The Witch of Endor by RK Wheeler

Post by jennyd2003 »

Sounds like a book my kids would enjoy as well as myself. Sometimes getting lost in a book for younger people is great because the content is better without the adult distractions. I can't wait to find out if the boys make it off the island or not. Good review.
ruchira
Currently Reading: Heartaches 2
Bookshelf Size: 2

Post by ruchira »

I think story revealed concept s than we expected!!!
Thanks!!!
Sandun
Sri Lanka
Quinto
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 704
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-quinto.html
Latest Review: The Longfellah's Son: An Almost True Irish Story by Michael Cassidy

Post by Quinto »

A good mysterious adventure story will be a welcome read to me. I like the characters of Mathew and Ryan and how they weather it on. I enjoyed reading the review.
BelleDC
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by BelleDC »

I cant believe that a 12 year old wrote this. From what I've read so far sounds more like than a 12 year old but then kids sometimes has the most amazing imaginations and I do agree that it sounds more about surviving and trust. I've read a lot of adventure kind of books and I'll surely love to read this through the end and keep it.
crashdnt
Currently Reading: The Cuban Affair
Bookshelf Size: 76
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-crashdnt.html
Latest Review: The Girl Who Knew Da Vinci by Belle Ami
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by crashdnt »

Thank you for your review of Island Games. I was intrigued when I read the sample and was curious about the age group for young adult. Thank you for specifying in your review it would be good for 10 to 14 and stating there is no bad language or sexual situations. This sounds like a good book for my son.
GathuaM
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 29
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gathuam.html
Latest Review: Strong Heart by Charlie Sheldon

Post by GathuaM »

kandscreeley wrote: 03 Jan 2018, 14:00 [Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Island Games" by Caleb J. Boyer.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

I've read many books in my lifetime, and it's rare anymore that a book genuinely surprises me. Island Games by Caleb Boyer was one such novel. Why, you might ask? Let me tell you. Caleb Boyer was twelve years old when he wrote this story.

When I was in middle school, my language arts teacher assigned us creative writing. I can tell you for sure that my stories were nothing that I would have shared with the world much less published. Caleb Boyer, however, has done a fabulous job with his publication.

Matthew and Ryan are best friends who suddenly find themselves stranded on a deserted island. Having no memory of their past, they must find food, water and a way off the island. That isn't quite as easy as it sounds, though, as challenges keep coming their way. The first challenge they face is retrieving food from a boat without being eaten by a shark. Unfortunately, the challenges only get harder from there, and the two friends must work together or die.

Island Games is classified as young adult and would be very appropriate for preteens aged approximately 10 to 14. There is some violence that comes with the challenges the two boys face, but it is never graphic or disturbing. There is also no foul language or sexual situations throughout the book. The vocabulary used within the novel is age appropriate with the hardest words perhaps being quadrant or ravine.

The story line is simple, but the plot is engaging. I found myself forging ahead with every word wondering what challenges Ryan and Matthew would face next. While the writing is simple, the action and plot are captivating enough to hold even an adult's attention (after all, I enjoyed it.)

One of the few drawbacks to the novel is the cliffhanger ending. However, this was purposefully done. There is a message from the author at the end of the story explaining why the book ends as it did. I believe that there is a lot to be learned from the story and the ending. Therefore, I really can't count the cliffhanger against the book as I normally would; it's not a device used to sell the next novel but a teaching point.

Other than that, there were only a few minor issues that I noticed. While the grammar was impeccable (I didn't find ANY errors in the story), I did notice that the author switches from first person to third person in the thoughts of the characters about halfway through the book. This was more of an observation than an annoyance as it didn't bother me. I also wished we had been given the ages of the two main characters as it isn't very clear. Once again, this wasn't a big problem but rather a fleeting thought.

Overall, my rating for Island Games is 4 out of 4 stars. I enjoyed the development of the plot and had very few issues with the story. I know that preteens will enjoy this read if they like an adventurous fiction. I would even recommend it to adults if they are looking for an easy, fun and quick story.

Island Games
View: on Bookshelves

Like kandscreeley's review? Post a comment saying so!
I have never read this genre of books,but your review has made me picture this book to the movie hunger games. I love the story line and will surely read it....Great review.
truebookaddict
Favorite Book: The Historian
Currently Reading: The Witching Hour
Bookshelf Size: 3837
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-truebookaddict.html
Reading Device: B00TSUGXKE

Post by truebookaddict »

Sounds like an amazing story, and by a 12 year old no less! I remember being very impressed that the author of Eragon was so young when he wrote that as well. I guess some people are just born to be writers and sometimes it strikes at a young age. Interesting about the cliffhanger. I don't think cliffhangers are always a bad thing. Thanks for your great review!
“Even if she be not harmed, her heart may fail her in so much and so many horrors; and hereafter she may suffer--both in waking, from her nerves, and in sleep, from her dreams.”
― Bram Stoker, Dracula
Akelna02

Post by Akelna02 »

I have not read the book as yet. But from the comments, I am really interested in reading the actual book. It seems fictional, but I feel that It should give hope to some one who is lost in an open country
to find means and ways to help themselves.
Sincerely
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 17
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sincerely.html
Latest Review: Sigfried’s Smelly Socks! by Len Foley

Post by Sincerely »

Wow!Am just in shock that at such a young age and to have written such a captivating book is just amazing.Based on the rating given am sure that it's a good read.
Great review!
kwame1977
Currently Reading: The Vatican Protocol
Bookshelf Size: 150
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kwame1977.html
Latest Review: Learn to Play Guitar by Gareth Evans

Post by kwame1977 »

Being an author at such a tender age is a great achievement. I hope more powerful books such as this will be written shortly. More greese to your elbows for this wonderful piece. Well done Caleb.
dragonet07
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 23031">The Beauty of the Fall</a>
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 1718
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-dragonet07.html
Latest Review: Creating Literary Stories: A Fiction Writer's Guide by William H. Coles

Post by dragonet07 »

I think any adult could use an easy but exciting read to unwind from time to time. Unfortunately I don't actually have the time right now, but I'll definitely keep this in mind for when I do. Thank you for the helpful review.
The more that you read,
The more things you will know.
The more that you learn,
The more places you'll go.
~Dr. Seuss
heartsmallow
Currently Reading: The Sword Swallower and a Chico Kid
Bookshelf Size: 25
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by heartsmallow »

Great review kandscreeley! Thank you! It makes me want to finish the book ahead of my kid!

What can I say about "Island Games Mystery of the Four Quadrants" by Caleb J. Boyer. I definitely like the title and cover photo for this one. I often see titles and cover photo don't complement each other, but may be that is just me.

I would like to ask the author Caleb why he chose the names of his trainors to be his main characters in the book? He must admire the friendship they have very much. I would like to guess that the boys are both 12 year olds.

The book is very engaging and I can definitely see that I can easily invite my 8-year-old to read with me on this one. I do not see anything in the context that I cannot simplify for her. It is a fun and easy read and it is definitely recommended for the young ones who want to be inspired to write a piece of their own or just to have a great read.
Babajide1996

Post by Babajide1996 »

The book is interesting. it's a mindset changing book about difficult times... It's makes me know I can survive no matter the situation
Vaishnavi_S

Post by Vaishnavi_S »

This book is amazing. I mean he wrote when he was twelve. This is such a wonderful experience.

Return to “Young Adult Fiction Books”