Official Review: Island Games by Caleb J. Boyer

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any young adult books.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
NL Hartje
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Book: Kushiel's Dart
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 385
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nl-hartje.html
Latest Review: Looking forward as the Journey continues by George Mills

Re: Official Review: Island Games by Caleb J. Boyer

Post by NL Hartje »

Loved your review! I want to read this in its entirety now.

A favorite when I was young was The Hatchet by Gary Paulsen and your synopsis of this book reminds me of the survival tactics I loved in that book. Adding it to my list for sure!
“So the writer who breeds more words than he needs, is making a chore for the reader who reads.”
-Dr. Seuss
Wonders123
Currently Reading: Sigfried’s Smelly Socks!
Bookshelf Size: 6

Post by Wonders123 »

Island Game by Caleb Boyer us a hit. I love it. I was in a daze like Matthew and Ryan, wondering how they ended up on that island. I typically jumped when Ryan had that narrow escape with the shark. I am happy they have each other.

Beautiful setting, well written, quite adventurous. Would definitely recommend this book as a must read. It had me wanting to find out what would be next but I didn't want to skip ahead. I wanted to know everything. Very good work Caleb. I wish you success.
jessinikkip
Currently Reading: Curious Incident of the Dog in the Night-Time
Bookshelf Size: 445
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jessinikkip.html
Latest Review: Misery Loves Company by Paul Marino
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by jessinikkip »

Wow! I was already interested in this book and even more so after learning the age of the author. That is amazing to have published so interesting a book at such a young age. I agree that usually a cliffhanger end to a book leaves me feeling more empty than if the book had a solid wrap up. I guess this is usually because the cliff hanger is just a tease to buy the next book because I don't feel that way if it is written that way for a meaningful reason like this one. I'll definitely give it a read over and see how it is!
Emmanae
Currently Reading: The Power
Bookshelf Size: 61
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-emmanae.html
Latest Review: Discover Your Thinner Self by David Medansky

Post by Emmanae »

I'm excited to delve into this one, especially as it's a twelve year old author. Super impressive, congrats on BOTD, Caleb J. Boyer! You're never too old for YA or middle grade fiction. :)
brittneykostecka
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by brittneykostecka »

It is so amazing to me that this was written by a 12 year old and that you gave it 4 out of 4 stars. I can’t wait to read this book!
Frenjie
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 165
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-frenjie.html
Latest Review: "The Dancing Barber" by AC Michael

Post by Frenjie »

Wow, this sounds fantastic! Hats off to the author for having published a superb work at such a young age. I like that the plot is captivating as the well as the storyline is engaging.
" Desire is the starting point of all achievement, not a hope, not a wish but a keen pulsating desire which transcends everything." - Napoleon Hill
Latest Review: "The Dancing Barber" by AC Michael
tarafarah7
Favorite Author: Mitch Albom
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... ">tuesdays with Morrie</a>
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 1437
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-tarafarah7.html
Latest Review: Toni the Superhero by R.D. Base
Reading Device: B00IKPYKWG
fav_author_id: 2544

Post by tarafarah7 »

Thank you so much for your review! Being that today's #BOTD was written by someone who was only 12 years old at the time, this is a must-read for me!! I teach HS English, and I would love to hear Caleb J. Boyer discuss his thought process and planning strategy during the writing of this book. Also, I'd love to know his teacher's thoughts about this HUGE accomplishment! Wow! What an inspiration to so many young, aspiring novelists! Congratulations, Caleb!
Zariz
Currently Reading: Island Games
Bookshelf Size: 8

Post by Zariz »

This review has definitely intrigued me in the way the negative points about the book have been simply brushed aside due to how enjoyable a read it was overall.
It sounds like a dystopian novel and I am glad to hear it is age appropriate without the general adult content filtered in as an almost side story that often takes away from the essence of the book.

Looking forward to reading it now!
Whitney Marchelle
Currently Reading: Clan and Conscience (Clan beginnings Book 6)
Bookshelf Size: 46
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-whitney-marchelle.html
Latest Review: Superhighway by Alex Fayman

Post by Whitney Marchelle »

Great review. I am so giddy that this was written by a young adult for young adults. Awesome
Katherine Smith
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 524">Nancy Drew</a>
Currently Reading: The Complete Tales and Poems of Edgar Allen Poe
Bookshelf Size: 504
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-katherine-smith.html
Latest Review: "Whisky tango foxtrot...copy" by John regan
Reading Device: B01KVZV52A

Post by Katherine Smith »

I am very impressed that a twelve year old wrote this book. I, like the reviewer was not as talented as this author is. If you had not told me that this was a twelve year old I would have thought that the author was an adult. I like that this story is lesson that makes you think. I agree that cliffhangers drive me nuts, but in this case I can accept it.
Latest Review: "Whisky tango foxtrot...copy" by John regan
MarisaRose
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 665">Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban</a>
Currently Reading: The Family Upstairs
Bookshelf Size: 435
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-marisarose.html
Latest Review: The Magic Shard by eelonqa K harris

Post by MarisaRose »

This book doesn’t appeal to me, but it’s amazing that the author was able to write such a great novel at such a young age! It sounds like a book that will really be enjoyed by a younger audience. I must admit, I’m curious about how the boys end up surviving alone on the island!
Redracer14
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by Redracer14 »

Wow, only twelve when the author wrote the story? My own kids are around that age, I can't wait to share the story with them (after reading it myself, of course!) I love survival stories, this sounds right up my alley.
Kat Kennedy
Currently Reading: Superhighway
Bookshelf Size: 83
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kat-kennedy.html
Latest Review: "All About Water" by Greg Chick, Marta Zarrella

Post by Kat Kennedy »

Wow. I’m intrigued by the premise and the author. Great job on this review about survival and friendship.
Latest Review: "All About Water" by Greg Chick, Marta Zarrella
SPasciuti
Favorite Author: Marissa Meyer
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 46410">The Wendy</a>
Currently Reading: Cinder
Bookshelf Size: 34
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-spasciuti.html
Latest Review: Samuel by Samuel kidstar
fav_author_id: 2388

Post by SPasciuti »

Wow, twelve years old? That's amazing. The book doesn't sound like it's a plot that I'd be super interested in (it's been done so many times) but I think I'll have to read it just on account of the author's age because that's impressive.
ktrae910
Currently Reading: Bad to the Bone
Bookshelf Size: 7569
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ktrae910.html
Latest Review: "Who Told You That You Were Naked?" by William E. Combs

Post by ktrae910 »

My kind off book: no sexual content, suspenseful, and well written.
Latest Review: "Who Told You That You Were Naked?" by William E. Combs

Return to “Young Adult Fiction Books”