Official Review: Island Games by Caleb J. Boyer

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any young adult books.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
kandscreeley
Special Discussion Leader
Currently Reading: The Door Within
Bookshelf Size: 487
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kandscreeley.html
Latest Review: The Elf Revelation by Jordan David

Official Review: Island Games by Caleb J. Boyer

Post by kandscreeley »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Island Games" by Caleb J. Boyer.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

I've read many books in my lifetime, and it's rare anymore that a book genuinely surprises me. Island Games by Caleb Boyer was one such novel. Why, you might ask? Let me tell you. Caleb Boyer was twelve years old when he wrote this story.

When I was in middle school, my language arts teacher assigned us creative writing. I can tell you for sure that my stories were nothing that I would have shared with the world much less published. Caleb Boyer, however, has done a fabulous job with his publication.

Matthew and Ryan are best friends who suddenly find themselves stranded on a deserted island. Having no memory of their past, they must find food, water and a way off the island. That isn't quite as easy as it sounds, though, as challenges keep coming their way. The first challenge they face is retrieving food from a boat without being eaten by a shark. Unfortunately, the challenges only get harder from there, and the two friends must work together or die.

Island Games is classified as young adult and would be very appropriate for preteens aged approximately 10 to 14. There is some violence that comes with the challenges the two boys face, but it is never graphic or disturbing. There is also no foul language or sexual situations throughout the book. The vocabulary used within the novel is age appropriate with the hardest words perhaps being quadrant or ravine.

The story line is simple, but the plot is engaging. I found myself forging ahead with every word wondering what challenges Ryan and Matthew would face next. While the writing is simple, the action and plot are captivating enough to hold even an adult's attention (after all, I enjoyed it.)

One of the few drawbacks to the novel is the cliffhanger ending. However, this was purposefully done. There is a message from the author at the end of the story explaining why the book ends as it did. I believe that there is a lot to be learned from the story and the ending. Therefore, I really can't count the cliffhanger against the book as I normally would; it's not a device used to sell the next novel but a teaching point.

Other than that, there were only a few minor issues that I noticed. While the grammar was impeccable (I didn't find ANY errors in the story), I did notice that the author switches from first person to third person in the thoughts of the characters about halfway through the book. This was more of an observation than an annoyance as it didn't bother me. I also wished we had been given the ages of the two main characters as it isn't very clear. Once again, this wasn't a big problem but rather a fleeting thought.

Overall, my rating for Island Games is 4 out of 4 stars. I enjoyed the development of the plot and had very few issues with the story. I know that preteens will enjoy this read if they like an adventurous fiction. I would even recommend it to adults if they are looking for an easy, fun and quick story.

Island Games
View: on Bookshelves

Like kandscreeley's review? Post a comment saying so!
A book is a dream you hold in your hands.
—Neil Gaiman
Paul78
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 38572">Who Told You That You Were Naked?</a>
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 78
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-paul78.html
Latest Review: Burn Zones by Jorge P. Newbery

Post by Paul78 »

Island Games seems to be a thriller and also inspiring. It shows how people can survive even in most difficult circumstances. I think those who are about to give up can at least try. I haven't read the book but your review makes me get all that. Thanks.
An investment in knowledge pays the best interest.
Benjamin Franklin
kandscreeley

Post by kandscreeley »

You're very right about that Paul. Thanks for commenting.
—Neil Gaiman
Hildah Mose
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 10
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-hildah-mose.html
Latest Review: And Then I Met Margaret by Rob White

Post by Hildah Mose »

Thanks for the great review. The fact that the book was written by a twelve year old and it turns out great is intriguing. I'd love to get to read it as well.
Hildah Mose
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 10
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-hildah-mose.html
Latest Review: And Then I Met Margaret by Rob White

Post by Hildah Mose »

Please check out my review on temptation trials as well. I'd love to get your opinion. Thanks
kandscreeley

Post by kandscreeley »

Hildah Mose wrote: 04 Jan 2018, 11:44 Thanks for the great review. The fact that the book was written by a twelve year old and it turns out great is intriguing. I'd love to get to read it as well.
It really was a fun book to read. Thanks for commenting!
—Neil Gaiman
Manang Muyang
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Book:
Currently Reading: Donny and Mary Grace's California Adventures
Bookshelf Size: 686
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-manang-muyang.html
Latest Review: Your Great Name by Shawn Funk
Reading Device: B00KC6I06S

Post by Manang Muyang »

A 12-year-old boy wrote this 4-star book without ANY grammatical errors. Shame on me! I can't even write a 500-word review flawlessly!

I am impressed with this boy and this book. I wonder how old Caleb is now. We may be looking at the next James Patterson.
Alice Heritage
Review Team Guidelines Team Leader
Favorite Author: Wilkie Collins
Favorite Book: Wuthering Heights
Currently Reading: 50 Masterpieces of Gothic Fiction
Bookshelf Size: 379
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-alice-heritage.html
Latest Review: Dissonance by Aaron Ryan
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU
Publishing Contest Votes: 1
fav_author_id: 1
Signature Addition: Mod

Post by Alice Heritage »

Wow, a prodigy, that's impressive! With the plot about being stranded on an island with little sense of background, the main premise sounds like "Lord of the Flies". However, it sounds as if a boy in the actual age group came up with a more positive take on that situation, and a compelling story too. Thanks for the great review!
This post was brought to you by the word "specifically".
Mod
quizoneka
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by quizoneka »

I am impressed. I'm so proud of you. Keep it up.
kandscreeley

Post by kandscreeley »

Miriam Molina wrote: 05 Jan 2018, 00:54 A 12-year-old boy wrote this 4-star book without ANY grammatical errors. Shame on me! I can't even write a 500-word review flawlessly!

I am impressed with this boy and this book. I wonder how old Caleb is now. We may be looking at the next James Patterson.
It's quite possible. Of course, it's also possible he had a team of really good proofreaders as well! Still, the story itself is impressive...
—Neil Gaiman
kandscreeley

Post by kandscreeley »

ButterscotchCherrie wrote: 05 Jan 2018, 06:53 Wow, a prodigy, that's impressive! With the plot about being stranded on an island with little sense of background, the main premise sounds like "Lord of the Flies". However, it sounds as if a boy in the actual age group came up with a more positive take on that situation, and a compelling story too. Thanks for the great review!
I dislike making comparisons between novels as I believe each stands on its own. However, having said that... it's kind of a Maze Runner meets Hunger Games... Thanks for commenting!
—Neil Gaiman
Kat Berg
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 5">Raven's Peak</a>
Currently Reading: James Baldwin
Bookshelf Size: 223
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kat-berg.html
Latest Review: Why Am I Here by Melvin Bell
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by Kat Berg »

I want to read it just knowing that it received a four star rating and was written by a 12-year old! I love it when kids do amazing things. But the book also sounds interesting :) I cannot wait to read it. (and NO mistakes! that is such a wonderful thing :D )
Lg_99
Currently Reading: The Fault in Our Stars
Bookshelf Size: 28
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-lg-99.html
Latest Review: Jurisdiction Terminated by Jack Gold and Marc Debbeaudt

Post by Lg_99 »

creating a story that makes sense at the age of twelve? Now, that is what I call having a creative mind. I look forward to read this wonderful story. Thank you for the review.
BookHausJ
Currently Reading: Health Tips Myth and Tricks
Bookshelf Size: 667
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bookhausj.html
Latest Review: "Who Told You That You Were Naked?" by William Combs

Post by BookHausJ »

Nice MIRIAM MOLINA it's really shame on us! I can't believe also that a 12 year old boy would have that kind of imagination. I about to compare that boy to my son. He's now 13 years old but he always love to play and watch video after school. But I want to read it because I want to find out what happened when they go with the first challenge. Retrieving their food from a boat without being eaten by a shark. Nice review. Thanks!
Latest Review: "Who Told You That You Were Naked?" by William Combs
Roggyrus
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 114
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-roggyrus.html
Latest Review: Chrome Mountain by Ben Schneider

Post by Roggyrus »

The Island Games may be said as not what it seems, after all. No, not the island, but the game. It is more of a struggle for survival, to be precise. To stay on living in the most adverse of situations is a life-and-death situation probably not fitted to be engaged in as a game. And that makes this book more thrilling. Thank you for the wonderful review.

Return to “Young Adult Fiction Books”